Changing Contractor for same Client

kingofnowhere

Hi

I am currently working with contractor 'A', and contracted to a client.

Now a new contractor 'B' would like to hire me to work for the same client (better pay & client switching from contractor 'A' to 'B') and the client is ok with it.

But 'A' has a clause in my work agreement that I shouldn't go back and work / contract to the same client within 60 days of my last day with the client under 'A'.

Want to know if this clause is valid and can 'A' impose such restrictions legally.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Those clauses in employment contracts are - in almost all cases - unenforceable.

Look up 'restraint of trade'. The right to ply your trade wherever you wish is a common law.

I always got those clauses removed from contracts before I signed them (and no agency ever batted an eyelid when I asked for their removal). However just because you did sign a contract containing such a clause does not mean it's enforceable.

Edited by NickyNook

Hi

I am currently working with contractor 'A', and contracted to a client.

Now a new contractor 'B' would like to hire me to work for the same client (better pay & client switching from contractor 'A' to 'B') and the client is ok with it.

But 'A' has a clause in my work agreement that I shouldn't go back and work / contract to the same client within 60 days of my last day with the client under 'A'.

Want to know if this clause is valid and can 'A' impose such restrictions legally.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

The clauses in my first contract in Australia pretty much forbade me working ever again in Australia in IT - as it would have stopped me earning a living it was unenforceable. What's the penalty if you switch?

the agreement says

- I cant work for any of 'A' 's AUS clients

-cannot take or help any one else move from 'A' to 'B' (basically to any A's AUS clients) and i am not gonna breach this

-only valid if its legal else the clause is severed

if breached it says they would workout a penalty and or withhold in part r full my final settlement for which ever clause i broke that are still legal.