Visa Help!!

poppy5

Hi wondered if anyone could give me some advice, my brother and his family are currently living in Adelaide and have been there for just over a year, my husband and I and our 9yr old would like to follow them out there.

Trouble is I am 45 and he is nearly 46, Im a qualified massage therapist but with only 4yrs experience, my husband is an agricultural contractor running his own business, do we have any hope at all, as ive been told although the age limit has been raised to 50 that once you are 45 you get zero points for age, neither of us have a degree although we do have other qualifications, any advice would be much apprecialte.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You may have a reasonable chance of being able to get a temporary employer sponsored 457 visa but if you can't get a permanent visa before the age of 50, you would not be able to stay here. Ideally, you should be trying for a permanent or provisional visa from the outset but that's going to be extremely difficult and may even be impossible. I really think you should consult a good Registered Migration Agent for advice regarding the outlook for you - PIO members can give you some recommendations of good ones who know their stuff and won't mislead you. An initial consultation won't cost much and will tell you if there is anything that can be done to get you to Australia.

Hi there and many thanks for your reply any help I can get is much appreciated, unfortunately my brother has only been out there for a year so isnt eligable to sponsor me, but I am looking into further options, many thanks again.

Hi, we are just filling in the assessment in as I type. I am 48 n hubby 49 in march we are going with the emigration group in Cheshire we need to get the ball rolling now and need to b in locked in position b4 he reached 50... Phone number ***number removed by moderator*** worth ringing them.. my daughter n hubby are In the process of using these but we need to act quick....good luck

Many thanks for that advice, I am going to contact the agent that my brother used and was very pleased with, I just hope there is something we can do to improve our points, really wish I had known about the points for age before now and we could have started the ball rolling sooner, extremely frustating! Glad I found this site, everyone has been so helpful, many thanks again and we will certainly look into the options you have mentioned.

Hi wondered if anyone could give me some advice, my brother and his family are currently living in Adelaide and have been there for just over a year, my husband and I and our 9yr old would like to follow them out there.

Trouble is I am 45 and he is nearly 46, Im a qualified massage therapist but with only 4yrs experience, my husband is an agricultural contractor running his own business, do we have any hope at all, as ive been told although the age limit has been raised to 50 that once you are 45 you get zero points for age, neither of us have a degree although we do have other qualifications, any advice would be much apprecialte.

Hi, before you work out points I would check your jobs on the skilled occupation lists. I know massage therapist is ob the CSOl but don't know what position on the 2 lists your husband would go for. Maybe agricultural consultant? The only reason I saying this as you say neither have degrees just other qualifications. However agricultural consultant is skill level 1 so requires a degree and massage therapist I believe is skill level 2 so ozzy diploma which is equiv to UK level 4/5 nvq. You would need either of these qualifications (depending who is the applicant) to pass the skills assessment before even beginning to calculate points. I would check out the ANZSCO code for both jobs and see what is required to apply with that role. Some jobs are highly skill set than that of the UK and you have not said what quals you have.

Assuming you have the required quals.. You are right you would get no points for ages so would all be down to English test results, level of qualification and years of exp.

Hi poppy5.

This might be what we call a "self sponsored 457 visa strategy" - though technically it isn't self sponsored: you can use a separate legal entity such as a limited company or discretionary trust to sponsor for a visa.

Permanent residency is then available after a couple of years (assuming the main applicant is aged under 50 at the time) of working on the 457 visa through the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream of subclass 186 or (less frequently) 187.

Not all migration agents handle this type of application, so maybe enquire to find one or two that do.

Best regards.

Hi, thanks for your reply, we have just spoke with an emigation group who where really helpful it seems that the 457 route is the one we would need to go down but finding work and sponsorship is not easy, feeling a bit disheartented at the moment, altho massage is on the CSOL there is no state looking for therapists at the moment, so my husband will be the one who would need to find sponsorship. Good luck to you with your application, let me know how you go.

Archived