Advice please on everything!! 😳

Frandy

Hi guys, I am new to this's so forgive me if I'm not doing it correctly!

Myself, my husband and our two children are at the early stages of planning the move to oz.....

I am currently studying to be a psychology lecturer and my husband is a carpenter, we would be great full for any advice that you guys have. I am keen on moving to adelaide as I have family there, any advice regarding the visas, the English test ielts ?? Jobs, house prices to buy? Schools, And anything you may think iPod that I have not covered. How much was you suggest we would need to cover visa, tickets, etc. Many thanks xx

Wow, that's a lot of big questions!

I can't answer them all but if you haven't already head to the immi au website for advice on different visa classes/possible entry points. When we applied for our 175 visa I think it was about £2k.

For houses, if you've not looked already realestate.com.au this will give you the lowdown on suburbs by price etc and give you an idea of what you'll get for your bucks.

Don't know to much about schools in adelaide, but if you want to start research on school performance, myschool.edu.au is a good place to start.

Hi guys, I am new to this's so forgive me if I'm not doing it correctly!

Myself, my husband and our two children are at the early stages of planning the move to oz.....

I am currently studying to be a psychology lecturer and my husband is a carpenter, we would be great full for any advice that you guys have. I am keen on moving to adelaide as I have family there, any advice regarding the visas, the English test ielts ?? Jobs, house prices to buy? Schools, And anything you may think iPod that I have not covered. How much was you suggest we would need to cover visa, tickets, etc. Many thanks xx

Concentrate on gaining a visa first and who will be the main applicant. The availability of a visa and available employment will most likely dictate location.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself asking about house prices, schools etc at this early stage. You first of all need to work out if you can get a visa and if so, which visa that might be.

If your husband is a fully qualified carpenter, there's a reasonably good chance that he will be able to get an Independent visa that will allow the family live and work anywhere in Australia but he will need a positive skills assessment and 60 points on the points test before he can apply for a visa. Tradies usually find it difficult to get 60 points without several years post-qualification work experience in their trade and/or points for Proficient or Superior English. If he can't get to 60 points and/or if he can't get skills assessment, the door isn't necessarily closed but things get more complicated. Start by checking the points test.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-migration-fact-sheet.pdf Points test

Skills assessment is the next step. In the UK, carpenters are assessed by RTOs under the TRA Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) so he needs to start by looking at what's involved in that:

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Offshore/Pages/default.aspx OSAP.

Skills assessment will cost around £2000 (depending on the RTO), at current rates Visa Application Charges are £4035 plus there will be the cost of medicals for all family members and PCCs for adults.

When you say you are studying to be a psych lecturer do you mean you are completing a PHD or doing a post doc? As the is what is required to b a psych lecturer in Australia (generally you will need 3-6 years in post doc research first). We no longer have Lecturer only positions in Australian unis......you have to be involved in 40-60% research and the remainder is teaching. Your research history is more important in getting the job than your teaching qualifications. Secondly, in South Australia there are only two unis that really do psychology with perhaps a maximum of 15 lecturers between the ....a rather hard field to crack.

When you say you are studying to be a psych lecturer do you mean you are completing a PHD or doing a post doc? As the is what is required to b a psych lecturer in Australia (generally you will need 3-6 years in post doc research first). We no longer have Lecturer only positions in Australian unis......you have to be involved in 40-60% research and the remainder is teaching. Your research history is more important in getting the job than your teaching qualifications. Secondly, in South Australia there are only two unis that really do psychology with perhaps a maximum of 15 lecturers between the ....a rather hard field to crack.

No only degree, in my final year now and applying to do a pgce. That's a shame, thank you for your advice tho!!

Archived