Bribie island or Mooloolaba ?

leajk

Hi , Hoping someone can give me a bit of an insight into these areas.

We are two girls 36/41 with two dogs currently living in Sydneys northern beaches.

My partner has had a work transfer to Brisbane and we want to live near the sea so were looking at Gold Coast/ Sunshine Coast.

I have just spent a week in Brisbane exploring these areas and think I prefer Sunshine Coast over Gold Coast, back in he UK we love Devon and Cornwall, however I worry about the commute for my partner.

We would like to be able to surf and go for coffee while overlooking the beach.

we like relaxed easy going areas . Not the crowded sky rise feel of surfers paradise.

We have looked at Bribie island as on paper it seems to offer everything . Affordable housing , only a 1 hr commute , surf beach as well as a bathing beach. Dog off leash beach. However we have heard that it attracts retired people and there are not many people our age living there and there is no decent food/coffee shops.

Or Mooloolaba, although more expensive it seems nice with cafes shops etc but a bit further commute.

if anyone could let me know what these areas are like to live in or recommend areas within these two places to look for property I would be really great full. Would be great to hear from anyone currently living in either of these areas

thank you

Hi,

mooloolaba is really too far away to commute to Brisbane by car and it's difficult on the train. Bribie island is just about doable. It has a mixed age range but a lot of retired people. The cafés etc cater for tourists and whilst there are some good ones, it's not great either.

if you want to surf you will probably end up doing it at weekends only as you won't really be able to do it before or after work. Dusk is also a risky time as sharks come closer to shore to feed.it gets dark about 6pm so kiss goodbye to long summer evenings

I will agree on the commuting issue, i travel in to the airport each morning and things are backing up and slowing right down from 5.15, so i leave from north lakes at 5 and its not so bad. so from bribie it would be an early start or a long sit in traffic. back up form about 3 in the afternoon too.

1 hour may be a little optimistic too , unless you have a really good run. The Bribie road is single carriage way most of the way to caboulture, bribe is lovely though, really quiet and awesome views, and lovely beaches, we found a great coffee shop along the coast road in bongeree. there are plenty of furnished holiday lets so you could try iy for a few weeks before you commit and see how you get on

we used first national.com.au and stayed in bongeree

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys

we have decided to go to Bribie Island,

OH will have to commute to Brisbane sometimes but works all over and from home

so wherever we would have gone she would of had to do some sort of occasional commute.

We have decided to buy so we are all in !

Fingers crossed it will all work out :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i was just reading your post, as we have a unit on Bribie on the front and we were thinking of renting it out to Poms coming over from England as people are saying they have issue with getting places to rent. we have been here 12 years, and i noticed you were from Swindon, we came from Wootton Bassett, so know swindon well. have you found some where to rent yet, we would be happy to let you rent our place short term if you need somewhere while you find a place ?? let me know, good luck with the move, and by the way Bribie is awesome and definatley worth moving too, good luck

Hi i was just reading your post, as we have a unit on Bribie on the front and we were thinking of renting it out to Poms coming over from England as people are saying they have issue with getting places to rent. we have been here 12 years, and i noticed you were from Swindon, we came from Wootton Bassett, so know swindon well. have you found some where to rent yet, we would be happy to let you rent our place short term if you need somewhere while you find a place ?? let me know, good luck with the move, and by the way Bribie is awesome and definatley worth moving too, good luck

Hi

Wootton Bassett .....wow it's a small world, thank you for your kind offer but as we have 2 dogs we couldn't find anywhere to rent so decided to buy . We are moving in just after Easter to a property at whitepatch.

It is difficult finding places to rent when you first arrive so a great idea to rent your place out . Perhaps you could advertise it on here. We would definitely of been interested if we hadn't already bought.

so do you still live on Bribie or have you moved off ?

We are in Sydney at the moment and will be driving our camper up to Bribie over the Easter weekend.

if you have any recommendations of places to eat , drink etc we would love to hear from you.

Lea & Jen

awesome well done, hope you enjoy living on Bribie, it is an awesome island, and when you cross the bridge it feels you are in a different world. we live in Brisbane but have a holiday home on Bribie, we would love to live on Bribie but to far to travel for work, but we hope to soon. safe trip from Sydney. Ebony;s at Woorim is awesome lovely people, the RSL club is good, the indian has nice food, the bowls club at Bongaree is great, also the chip shop at the boat ramp at Bellara is great, if you want real english fish and chips at North lakes they have an english fish and chip show, very very good, everything is british. really worth trying, well hope you have an awesone trip, what work do you guys do ?? have fun nice talking to you

Enjoy your move to Bribie. We moved over to Brisbane from Portsmouth last Sept. We hoped to move close to a surf beach on either Bribie or the Sunny or Gold Coast but in the end the reality of the commute proved too far for us (my husband works at the airport with 6am starts and it would just take too long five days a week). We ended up moving to Scarborough on the Redcliffe Peninsula. Not a surf beach but at least we have a beach here and a great community atmosphere. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I have only just seen your message,

we moved to white patch in April and have been without Internet , where on Bribie are you ? How long have you lived here ?

We are loving living here, but we are still finding our feet.

trying different places. Went to the new sandstone point hotel. Any recommendations ?

Love to hear from you

Hi we have just had a house built by the golf course we are lucky we have Telstra velocity it as long as you have a Telstra phone line you could use any of the providers, we were with iiNet which I think are tpg now. The new hotel is good and food is good we also like to go to the rsl as well food is ok with a free bus service to and from your house and good live entertainment . I did read somewhere they have a meatloaf tribute band coming up we have lived here for nearly 3 years now and love it as soon as you cross the bridge everything seems to relax

Hi we have just had a house built by the golf course we are lucky we have Telstra velocity it as long as you have a Telstra phone line you could use any of the providers, we were with iiNet which I think are tpg now. The new hotel is good and food is good we also like to go to the rsl as well food is ok with a free bus service to and from your house and good live entertainment . I did read somewhere they have a meatloaf tribute band coming up we have lived here for nearly 3 years now and love it as soon as you cross the bridge everything seems to relax

Telstra are currently putting in NBN in the street which should be ready in September,until then we are using mobile internet. We are only in whitepatch but anyone would think we are in the outback!

We have seen advertisements in the bribie weekly about the RSL , Do you need to be a member to go in?

Sounds great getting a free ride ,could have a couple of drinks ;)

we never really know where to go as everything seems to be clubs . Surf club, golf club, bowls club not sure if we need to know members or we can just join so haven't really been anywhere yet .

It's early days so everything is new to us but what we have seen so far we like. We have just bought two kayaks so looking forward to getting out on the water. Just found red beach and the Woorim beach where we can walk the dogs off leash.

Hi

Did you visit Caloundra ? Pelican Waters is amazing Its a bit closer to Brisbane than Maloolaba... and its got some awesome Beaches !

Hi ,we ended up buying on Bribie Island.

not been to Caloundra yet but are busy investigating areas nearby.

we love being close to the Sunshine Coast . Visited Noosa on Sunday which was lovely. Too far from Brisbane to live but only 1.5 hrs from Bribie so easy to visit

Hi , Hoping someone can give me a bit of an insight into these areas.

We are two girls 36/41 with two dogs currently living in Sydneys northern beaches.

My partner has had a work transfer to Brisbane and we want to live near the sea so were looking at Gold Coast/ Sunshine Coast.

I have just spent a week in Brisbane exploring these areas and think I prefer Sunshine Coast over Gold Coast, back in he UK we love Devon and Cornwall, however I worry about the commute for my partner.

We would like to be able to surf and go for coffee while overlooking the beach.

we like relaxed easy going areas . Not the crowded sky rise feel of surfers paradise.

We have looked at Bribie island as on paper it seems to offer everything . Affordable housing , only a 1 hr commute , surf beach as well as a bathing beach. Dog off leash beach. However we have heard that it attracts retired people and there are not many people our age living there and there is no decent food/coffee shops.

Or Mooloolaba, although more expensive it seems nice with cafes shops etc but a bit further commute.

if anyone could let me know what these areas are like to live in or recommend areas within these two places to look for property I would be really great full. Would be great to hear from anyone currently living in either of these areas

thank you

Hi,

Mooloolaba! But that's just my opinion! Sure Bribie's closer but it does have a bit of a sad energy to me, not very happening although some people love it. I def think of retirees when I think of Bribie. Mooloolaba on the other hand has great cafes, a bit of atmos and action but also chilled, it's a popular holiday destination whilst also being a normal town.

Cheers,

Susie

Hi,

Mooloolaba! But that's just my opinion! Sure Bribie's closer but it does have a bit of a sad energy to me, not very happening although some people love it. I def think of retirees when I think of Bribie. Mooloolaba on the other hand has great cafes, a bit of atmos and action but also chilled, it's a popular holiday destination whilst also being a normal town.

Cheers,

Susie

Hi, we ended up buying on Bribie, I know what you mean about retirees. We have been to mooloolabah and we really like it but it's more expensive and a slightly longer comute .so for now we have bought a property at white patch.

we also went to Noosa the other day which is really nice at least it's all within 1.5 hrs of where we are .

We will give it 5 yrs and see how we go.

• 2 weeks later...

a little history on bribie,when i was younger my father a pom and mad fisherman loved the place,in those days the only way to get there was by boat from brisbane 'the cooper' on which my uncle was a stoker,or by sand track from the old gympie rd then barge accross the passage.bribie was mainly a fishing villiage,the only road being along the waterfront and a dead straight stretch across the island to the surf side and the pub. in those days it was not unusual to see mobs of kangaroos and emus along the front and also a donkey left there by american troops from ww2.it was an idyllic spot and today is still for a lot of people. some wildlife can still be seen up more towards the northern end these days as population has driven them away from populated areas.