EOI query - honours degree vs bachelor degree

Atlas

What's the difference between the two titles? I have a BA (Hons) in Philosophy and was wondering which one I should select. I'm assuming that points wise it makes no difference, but I'd be grateful if someone could clarify regarding title.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search on my tablet but it kept crashing :( thanks in advance!

What's the difference between the two titles? I have a BA (Hons) in Philosophy and was wondering which one I should select. I'm assuming that points wise it makes no difference, but I'd be grateful if someone could clarify regarding title.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search on my tablet but it kept crashing :( thanks in advance!

An Australian honours degree is a research project year in one subject after you have completed the Bachelors degree.....some unis will give you both the Bachelors and the Bachelors (Hons) degrees (I.e. Two graduations) while others will not given you the Bachelors only the honours. You need to be in the top of the class to be allowed to get an honours post as they are limited to a specific number per department.

A good honours score allows direct entry into a PhD.

Good luck with the philosophy bit of it though. What does it qualify you to do that's on the list?

That is often largely irrelevant. Depending on the occupation just having a degree is enough. For example my DH had 10 years experience and a diploma but we couldn't apply for a PR visa. If he had had my Sociology Degree and 5 years experience we would've been eligible.

Good luck with the philosophy bit of it though. What does it qualify you to do that's on the list?

You would be surprised. It is actually very popular with many employers. PPE (philosophy politics and economics) is a joint degree offered at Oxford and generally its grads are the highest earners of any degree.

That is often largely irrelevant. Depending on the occupation just having a degree is enough. For example my DH had 10 years experience and a diploma but we couldn't apply for a PR visa. If he had had my Sociology Degree and 5 years experience we would've been eligible.

My friend who I went to Uni with applied a few years after we'd been here. Both me and the wife qualified as I had an Engineering degree with experience and my wife was a nurse. We both made enough points.

When my friend applied he was European sales manager for an American plastics company with an honours degree in Economics and he got put in the pool. He was devastated at the time. He was single when he applied. By the time he got the letter to go for medicals he was married with 2 kids.

They got in BTW and live in the same suburb as us now, with 3 kids.

Your degree will help you if you have experience of a job that is going to be useful in Aus. If you have a degree and work in sales and marketing then you might struggle. We met a young couple from the UK in Bali last year. They had been on a working visa here for a year, loved it and been trying to get back in ever since. They both had degrees but worked in sales and marketing in London. Said there was no chance of getting in.

Doing what?

Very popular with general management traineeships in banking, finance and corporate management. in fact PPE grads from Oxford are preferred by the investment banks over accounting / finance grads.

Very popular with a lot of large retailers.

Very popluar with with marketing and pr roles.

Though will ill say the uni plays a big part. Come from a ex poly with a degree in it and employability is about that of a shelf stacker. But from a good uni!!! (Though in saying that, I have degrees coming out of my ears from top unis and am entering month 8 of unemployment).

Ha alas my doesn't qualify me to do anything in terms of jobs, I was just looking to use it to gain points. My nominated occupation is completely unrelated to my degree.

What is your nominated occupation?

In terms of what qualification to put for points purposes, both earn the same points and you can only claim one of them so it really doesn't matter as long as the one you choose to put is equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree. As a general rule though, you should put the higher of the two so the honours would probably be best.

Thanks for that, yeah my other qualification would only be equivalent to bachelors degree and my nominated occupation is accountant.

I figured it shouldn't really make a difference which one I put - probably a stupid assumption now lol.

Archived