Any one done The Pearsons English Test Yet?

adele244

Same here!

Did IELTS 4 or 5 times, needed band 8 which I always managed for reading, speaking and listening. I always had a 7 or 7.5 for writing since I suck at writing essays, even in my native language. I did PTE once and got 90 on everything! Thanks to the PTE test I have my 189 visa now :)

Edited by thomasvo

Same here!

Did IELTS 4 or 5 times, needed band 8 which I always managed for reading, speaking and listening. I always had a 7 or 7.5 for writing since I suck at writing essays, even in my native language. I did PTE once and got 90 on everything! Thanks to the PTE test I have my 189 visa now :)

That's really good to hear @thomasvo. I am booking my husband's PTE exam this weekend. Hopefully, for the second week of May and I too will post an update on how he gets on.

Can anyone recommend any good websites or books which may help with revision or practice?

He has had a few sessions with a tutor already but this was more focused on the IELTS which, after reading the above, we have decided to leave for now.

I bought the practice test from the official PTE website. It comes with unlimited test boosters (always the same ones though) and you can do 1 free practice test which gets marked. I never even did the practice test but the exercises you get make you comfortable with how the test works and what sort of questions they'll ask. It gives you a lot more confidence when you know what to expect.

I bought the practice test from the official PTE website. It comes with unlimited test boosters (always the same ones though) and you can do 1 free practice test which gets marked. I never even did the practice test but the exercises you get make you comfortable with how the test works and what sort of questions they'll ask. It gives you a lot more confidence when you know what to expect.

Thanks thomasvo - I think we'll do the same.

First time pearson:

Listening: 90

Reading: 90

Speaking: 87 (I stammered and messed up one of the "describe image" questions and pretty the repoeat sentence I made up stuff that wasn't in the audio playback :P)

Writing: 90

BOOOOM!

I'll write a comprehensive comparison guide as soon as I can - I'll create a new thread on the subject

@adele244 thank you kindly, I don't think I've ever been so stoked on an exam result as this. I've been pretty stressed out for the best part of 6 months, fully knowing I had the skills but lacking the proof.

I sat the exam on Saturday, and was emailed this morning about it (Tuesday) - so basically on the morning of the second working day.

That being said, there were only 2 other candidates writing the exam on the day with me, so a full test centre may take a bit longer (another added little bonus of the PTE, is that its less "exam-like", just you sat in front of a PC doing your own thing, in stead of a great big hall, with invigilators acting like prison wardens)

ps: @adele244 , I have the official guide with the practise CD and CDrrom. If you want, you can have it free, just cover my postage.

Edited by supercow

First time pearson:

Listening: 90

Reading: 90

Speaking: 87 (I stammered and messed up one of the "describe image" questions and pretty the repoeat sentence I made up stuff that wasn't in the audio playback :P)

Writing: 90

BOOOOM!

I'll write a comprehensive comparison guide as soon as I can - I'll create a new thread on the subject

Massive congratulations supercow!

My husband's PTE is booked for the 11th May - so I will report back, hopefully with some good news.

I'll be looking out for your thread

Supercrow do you mind if I ask how you scored so well? Did you do the practise stuff? When I got my visa it was IELTS only - now my brother is going through it and thinking of PTE as he can not seem to crack IELTS. Thank you

Hi @OzzyDreamer

I don't mind in the slightest, but can I please ask you to direct your questions in here? :http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html#post1936733022

The linked thread is an attempt to keep all the Pearson vs IELTS information in a single place, making it easy for candidates to find information they're after.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rara82 just looking at your timeline and it looks very similar to ours!! Hubby passed first stage Vetassess and has got his technical interview in Manchester next Monday 11th May...however he doesn't want to book the PTE yet as he feel he still has to do loads more practising!! Are you using an agent? Where are you planning on heading?

@steven106 I would imagine spelling plays a big part in the test

Let us know how you get on in the test and I will report back when hubby stops procrastinating and get the test done!!!!! Good Luck all x

@Rara82 just looking at your timeline and it looks very similar to ours!! Hubby passed first stage Vetassess and has got his technical interview in Manchester next Monday 11th May...however he doesn't want to book the PTE yet as he feel he still has to do loads more practising!! Are you using an agent? Where are you planning on heading?

@steven106 I would imagine spelling plays a big part in the test

Let us know how you get on in the test and I will report back when hubby stops procrastinating and get the test done!!!!! Good Luck all x

Hi @adele244 - sorry for delayed reply. Yes, our timelines are very similar! We are doing the process without an agent, how about you? I hope your husband's technical interview goes well, am sure it will. My husband has his PTE on 11th May. He did have his practical assessment booked in for 30th May, but unfortunately, VETASSESS have just cancelled it (grrrrr!) so we need to book a technical interview instead. We were hoping to have the visa application submitted by 1st July as Carpenter is one of the flagged occupations on the SOL. Anyhow, if everything goes well, we are hoping to be based around Sydney as that's where all our friends are. How about you guys?

Honestly I'm proper miffed!!! I have just gone on to book hubbies PTE in Sheffield. Bear in mind the PTE website boasts flexible test dates, and you can book a test just 24 hours beforehand. The results from the 2nd stage Vetassess should be in next week, so i thought I would book it to coincide with the results.

Anyhoo, just gone on to book...absolutely no dates what so ever free for the rest of this month, only ONE day for the whole of next month and then just 3 days for July!!! So the earliest we can book is over a month away. So I am thinking ok I need to get booked on in June pretty quick in case that goes too and hopefully if there are any cancellations we can reschedule, although you get charged 25% of the test fee to change the date. Ka-ching

I am really mad with myself, I honestly though they were on a weekly basis in abundance. If I had known it would be so far away I would have booked ages ago. Grrrrrrrr. For some reason all the tests are at 8am so going to another city would have to involve another hotel, but even Nottingham are very few and far between. Grrrrrrr (again!)

How long did others have to book in advance? Thanks and sorry for the rant x x

@adele244 I booked a week in advance, though I went into one of their London offices.

Call them up and see if the operator can find anything closer to you for the dates you;re interested in.

I was able to get through to their UK line (thei international / outsourced line was l;ess helpful), and he was able to find me a spot really quickly.

Interesting

I actually passed the IELTS with a score of 8 but my celebration was short lived as I was informed that I need to get an 8 in all subject areas :(

I think the reason I failed on teh writing was because of my handwriting, Which to tell the truth is shocking ....Expected when you use a keyboard for nearly 12 hours a day

So this PTE test may suit me better :)