Phone Interview Tomorrow - Any tips?

Aceman88888

After thinking that the opportunity to move to Oz was never going to happen 3 years ago after a frustrating interview/457/wading through treacle kind of experience, out of the blue a new option has appeared that has made us look at a move down under again.

I've got a phone (not Skype) interview tomorrow for a Construction Project Manager role on a sponsored 457 & relocation package. I have basic details of the role already (Identical almost to what I do in the UK), in depth research on the company (a huge household name in Aus) and a good few days researching and updating myself on all things to help me to make the decision.

I'm yet to understand the actual location (All I know is that it will be aligned to a state) although I'd naturally have some preferences or detail around remuneration package (I have been told its better than comparable with a UK £50k salary)

They have my CV, seem genuinely interested in progressing and the phone interview is with a HR professional and a technical manager.

So, any tips on etiquette for a long distance phone interview? Genuine localised do's and dont's?

I'd also appreciate people's experiences of a similar recruitment path regarding timescales and decision making. They have said that the process to recruit from the UK takes longer, and I think I understand the various components behind this. Is it normal for a prospective employer to offer a Recce (As customary in many middle east roles)?

I think I'd struggle with qualification criteria as my experience is all on the job and I don't have a linked degree.

Be yourself, speak confidently and remember an interview is a two way thing. On the phone there will be of course the awkward time delay which usually means people talk over each other, so allow for the silent pregnant pauses. Good luck!

I had a phone interview with Aus back in December, after our planned skype call failed spectacularly for technical reasons.

I can't really think of any "localised" issues...

I found it harder to keep track of whose question I was answering (not being able to see them - there were 3 at the other end)... and longer answers are harder for everyone to keep track of, when there are no non-verbal cues to tell you that people have heard enough etc.

So it's probably worth "sign-posting" a bit to help keep things on track, e.g. "to answer Susan's question...", "coming back to what you asked me earlier...".

Also it's a cliché but having a sense of humour helps I think... even if just to help everyone feel relaxed. Somehow, genuinely smiling when you're talking comes across on the phone even to strangers.

One of the good things about phone/Skype interviews, IMHO, is that you can have all your notes there in front of you, on your computer or on sheets of paper... so it makes it easier to prepare. Having a list of the main things you want to ask them is very helpful, bearing in mind that a job interview is just as much about you finding out whether it's the right job for you, as it is about those guys working out if you're right for the job.

Hope that helps -- sounds like you've done loads of homework anyway! Best of luck.

Well done on getting a look in for one!

Answer honestly, be enthusiastic and passionate about what you do, as that does come across. Be as knowledgeable as you can without being cocky, and don't BS, as you never know who else may be listening and hopefully a good company will smell BS a mile off anyway! I found if you really don't know something but can relate previous experience well, or seem the kind of person who will pick up local variations quickly (so describe instances where you've had to learn and apply quickly is good) then employers like that mental dexterity and flexibility even more than those who know 1 way to do something.

Hardest thing is not to second guess yourself. DO ask relevant questions and if you have none (i.e they'ev answered them) state you did have question X or Y but thank you they did already answer it in the interview. Interview them as well as letting them interview you asking how the company sees it's progressing no this project of that, including how you can become involved/how they would want t you to become involved etc.

Also, just note a few 'examples' of the most common things such as the 'name a time when you've had deadlines' or name a time when you've dealt with conflict and how it was resolved' etc, just to get rid of the bog standard HR questions so you can focus on the job part.

Note, I'm no recruitment expert, but did have my interviews via skype voice only before coming out (luckily had choice of job on arrival as a result), and I had an OK success rate, from starting to apply for jobs to landing in country (once visa validated) took us 7 months including selling the house.

Good luck!

Sorry, just read your latest post you've had interview now, hope it went well for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Best of luck!! A 2nd interview is really positive! PS a tip from a friend in very senior construction role (global company) don't undersell yourself, construction managers in OZ can earn quite significantly more than equivalent to 50k sterling!!

PS No don't ask for a Recce, that seems to imply uncertainty, just go hard nosed for the best relocation package you can get, if they want you they'll want you pretty quick and if it's a large company that often recruits from abroad a 457 can happen in a matter of days (mine was granted in 2 days)...

go hard nosed for the best relocation package you can get

I certainly wouldn't underestimate the importance of a good relocation package.

I thought mine was extremely generous until I actually started burning through it. The medical alone will be at least £240, plus then buying a plane ticket at very short notice will cost a packet. Temporary accommodation on arrival can be very expensive too, depending on where you're going. It all adds up very quickly!

And if you're expected to pay for all this and then claim it back afterwards it can leave big holes in your pockets to begin with.

Thanks it is a *very big Aus company and I understand they look after all of the relocation details through their retained migration agents. I have suggested that ideally I would need 8 weeks from offer to move but may have to agree to less but I cannot leave my current employer until 13th April at the earliest.

Thanks it is a *very big Aus company and I understand they look after all of the relocation details through their retained migration agents. I have suggested that ideally I would need 8 weeks from offer to move but may have to agree to less but I cannot leave my current employer until 13th April at the earliest.

Do you know where you might be heading yet?

Archived