Best company for money transfer (buying Aus Dollars)

markp

Moneycorp. I used to recommend Moneycorp to my clients for 6 years, and have used them personally many times. Get in touch with John Kinghorn , there on here advertising also.

Guest John from Moneycorp
I tried to sign up with Moneycorp but I don't think their registration process is fully device (iPad) responsive. Two efforts and an email chaser from them asking me to complete my registration...

Please can you private message me your full name and email address - I will ask one of the team to look into it.

Thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Transferwise for mine and so far no problems, in fact I think its a great little service.

Just transferred £1000 and only got charged less than £5 fee, and received roughly £$1.97 to each £1.

Also very user friendly, once you've properly set up and verified your account transferring is a doddle, I have the app on my iPhone and can do transfers from there as well as on the laptop. The company is run/set up by the same people who run Skype.

Guest The Pom Queen

When we moved our money from our property sale many years ago now I researched and researched on who to use as I had never transferred money before and was petrified of it vanishing in to thin air. We settled on Moneycorp and I have to say they were fantastic and answered every silly question I had. They partnered up with the forum and offer all our members free transfers and a better exchange rate than others, also if you bank with the NAB they will pay the receiving fees as well. People tend to forget that most of the banks charge a fee of between $15 and $50 to receive your money.

Using Transferwise I didn't get charged any fees by my Australian bank (NAB - who by the way are fantastic) for receiving the transfer of money into my account. Only fee I got charged was by Transferwise, I think it was about £4.87 on £1000 transfer at £1.98 exchange rate.

Guest The Pom Queen
Using Transferwise I didn't get charged any fees by my Australian bank (NAB - who by the way are fantastic) for receiving the transfer of money into my account. Only fee I got charged was by Transferwise, I think it was about £4.87 on £1000 transfer at £1.98 exchange rate.

You see that's why I used Moneycorp as for larger sums it's a better rate and you don't pay any fees at all. Plus I just don't like companies who haven't been trading for long. I prefer more established companies.

Just reading up on Transferwise on top of their fees they charge for swift transfers https://transferwise.com/support/customer/portal/articles/1663580-what-are-swift-payments

and eek it's part of PayPal after all the hassle I've had with them I think I will give it a miss unless I was transferring a tiny amount

OP wants to buy AUD with GBP. With Transferwise this is done by local transfer within Australia.

SWIFT payment would only be used if he was wanting to transfer AUD to GBP.

But as I said before, other money exchange services are available.

Guest The Pom Queen
The original OP was just asking about alternative money changers to compare/contrast and I was just giving him my experience. Each to their own. I have found Transferwise a delight but of course there are many other money exchange services available.

That's great that you had a positive experience with them, I've seen a lot of negative and the only ones giving positive reviews tended to be the ones who get the free transfer if they promote them and say how wonderful they are (I'm not saying you are so don't panic) I just hate companies that have to blackmail clients for them to give positive feedback.

The way Transferwise is set up I just wouldn't be willing to take the risk for large amounts. I am a real penny pincher lol :laugh: I need to know my money is safe and their system seems very risky to me (below) but as long as you are happy that's great news and I would never question that. We all do what's right for us.

TransferWise operates on a similar principle as the hawala money transfer system out of the Middle East and South Asia, a 1000-plus year old style of money brokerage in which value is transferred back and forth between networks of brokers, as the agents add or subtract money between the parties at either end of the transfer, minus a small commission, and little money ever actually crosses a border.

International money laundering authorities don’t like hawala because such transactions typically lack an audit trail, making it an ideal vehicle for money laundering, and in South Asia, such networks have a very negative connotation

I am definitely not trying to promote Transferwise for any Personal gain, I just genuinely found them good value with a very user-friendly interface. This is just my experience. As for the way they actually handle their money transactions, I'm afraid I must be a little more carefree with my cash, I just saw that they were appropriately regulated and trusted in that.

National Australia Bank. I was a staff member at the time and so no fees.

I did get a great rate of 2.55 at the time. Don't know whether could have done better elsewhere as didn't look but luck would have it was a great time for bring money over in about 2004 I think it was.

Guest The Pom Queen
National Australia Bank. I was a staff member at the time and so no fees.

I did get a great rate of 2.55 at the time. Don't know whether could have done better elsewhere as didn't look but luck would have it was a great time for bring money over in about 2004 I think it was.

Wow I learn something new about you every day lol. Yes it will have been 2004 as that's when we moved over as well.

Archived