Mcdonald Jones Homes Sponsorship

birdy990

Hi Everyone,

My husband has applied for a Bricklaying job with Mcdonald Jones who are offering 457 sponsorship. I was wondering if anyone else has applied with them and if so whether everything went through smoothly or not?

Thanks in Advance

Guest The Pom Queen

That is great news congratulations. I've never known a brickie get sponsorship before. Just be careful as if it didn't work out you may struggle to secure another sponsor.

Guest The Pom Queen

We were wondering that as well to be honest, so we were thinking of appyling for the 189 or 190 visa as soon as we can once we were over there, how long do you have to wait before you can apply for one of those visas?
@blossom79 or @Ozmaniac are the ones who will be able to advise better. I don't want to put a downer on things so please don't think I'm being a party pooper I would just hate for you to sell up make the move and a few months down the line there be no work and no other companies who would sponsor. If you were a chef or a mechanic I would say go for it.

Do you have children? If you do, then a temporary 457 should be avoided if at all possible.

You can apply for a 189 or a 186 whenever you meet all of the requirements for the visa in question. For both, the primary applicant must be under 50.

For a 189, you will need a positive skills assessment and 60 points on the points test. When calculating points, only post qualification work experience can be counted. Most tradies need to do one of the English tests in order to get to 60 points but that's probably not too difficult now that there are alternatives to the tricky IELTS test.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-migration-fact-sheet.pdf Points test

http://www.immi.gov.au/news/pages/aelt.aspx English tests

For a 186 via the Direct Entry stream, you must have a positive skills assessment, 3 year experience and sponsorship by an eligible employer.

Be very aware of what a 457 is. It is a temporary visa and should be treated as such.

There are a number of serious negatives including school fees for some states including WA.

If your husband were to lose his job, then you only have 90 days to find another sponsor or leave the country.

Archived