My Options????

Dom Churchill

Hi there Everyone.

I am in need of some of your expert knowledge please.

Ok so basically I have just completed a two year cert 3 Course in Carpentry and Joinery at Tafe. I am currently on a Student Visa, but having graduated from Tafe, I need to apply for a new visa, here is where my indecision lies.

Now do I go for a 18 Month Graduation Visa or go for a PR Visa???? I have looked at the Points Test on the Immi Website, and seem to have enough points to go for PR. The only sticky point is being able to prove I have at least 1 years experience, in Australia, in the trade.

I am able to get a signed letter from Tafe detailing all the experiences and skills accumalated and all the Work Experience completed, which I can arrange to send to the TRA if needs be.

Perhaps I should set up a meeting at the Immi Office in Perth and discuss my options with them, but I thought I would try you guys first.

Thanking you kindly in advance.

I worked with a tradie on the days I wasn't attending Tafe. I've also gotten a job with a Decking Company and have been working since I finished Tafe in December. So accumulatively speaking, I've done over a year.

For TRA if you studied in Oz you have to go through the job ready programme. Have a Google. Not great news. Also, is your job on the sol?

Yes it is @blossom79. Well, last time I looked.

Yes I have read that there are 4 stages to the Graduation Visa.

I think you are confusing the job ready programme and the graduate visa.

You need the first part of the job ready programme to get the graduate visa. However, if you want to apply for PR that skills assessment isn't enough, only for the 485. So then you have to do the job ready programme. That is what the graduate visa is for, to give you time to get your full skills assessment done OR do the IELTS for more points OR find an employer to sponsor you (depending on what course you did. The job ready programme is just for trades).

You don't have the option to go for PR until you have done the job ready programme. It isn't quick and it isn't cheap.

I worked with a tradie on the days I wasn't attending Tafe. I've also gotten a job with a Decking Company and have been working since I finished Tafe in December. So accumulatively speaking, I've done over a year.

As Canadianaussie said the 1 year is post qualification i.e finished the qualification and then worked for a year. Work carried out while studying doesn't count.

I just looked at the skills assessment criteria on the TRA website. Is looks as though you need 3 years post qualification experience with 12 months of it immediately before applying. Here is the link:

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Pages/Eligibility.aspx

Not if you were an international student in Australia. On the same page there is a link for the job ready programme. That's what is used here.

Not if you were an international student in Australia. On the same page there is a link for the job ready programme. That's what is used here.

I was referring you your point about the skills assessment and job ready programme being 2 different things. You said he needs to do job ready being in oz I was mearly emphasising your point that his view of applying direct for pr now is not possible.