Reccie visit, flight info needed

Callie mum

Hi,

we are looking at a visit to Darwin to check out jobs, homes etc with two children 5 & 2. Looking at the cheapest and fastest way to get there! Is it cheaper certain months of the year? Is a one stopover flight more expensive? Which is the best airline to go with? Do the stopover airports have any facilities to keep two little ones amused? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Callie x

Guest Chewitts
That's the only place sponsoring our occupation! But love the heat so looking forward to going!

It is not so much the heat but the humidity that a lot of people struggle with Callie Mum.......I would suggest you go and check it out in the wet.....temperatures average out between 30 and 35 all year but come January the humidity doesn't drop below 80%.

You say you love the heat so 30-35 sounds great eh (my ideal too!) but where have you been when you have loved it?.....you need to be thinking monsoon type heat not sit on the beach kind.

Some people do cope there well but LOTS don't.....have you heard of the term "going troppo"?

Especially something to think about when you have very small children.

We spent our first year here in Alice Springs.....the heat can be intense there, we experienced a record breaking 10 days where the temp didn't drop below 35 even at night. Also being in the desert the winter can be 30c in the day and 0c at night!.....

We used to visit good friends in Darwin and a week was enough for me!......

c&t

Obviously people live and work there so lots of folk must cope. But having been there in February, I couldn't wait to leave - it was unbearable for me. My parents liked Darwin ( dry season) so each to their own. As said i would go in the Wet to make sure you're ok with it rather than get a nasty surprise! Best wishes

The first British settlement at Port Darwin was abandoned. For good reason! My son in law comes from Darwin, and when my daughter married him she made it quite clear she was NEVER going to live in Darwin!

It's still very small and parochial. The local newspaper always talks about crocs because there is little else to talk about....

Very isolated, too.

As for humidity, the Wet is even worse than Singapore.

Yep, be careful with Darwin unless you are used to living in a tropical climate.

Humidity is very different rent to simple heat. Here in Perth we are normally very hot in summer, which I can "cope with" but, we have had an usual couple of weeks with high humidity and it is driving me nuts.

Also, go to google images and look at cyclone Darwin.

And nd don't forget, going for a swim at the beach can bring a whole new meaning to the term wildlife encounter.

And nd don't forget, going for a swim at the beach can bring a whole new meaning to the term wildlife encounter.

Surely, no-one in their right mind swims at Darwin beaches? :eek:

If the stingers don't get you, the crocodiles will.

I'd advise the OP to stick to swimming in pools up there.

Surely, no-one in their right mind swims at Darwin beaches? :eek:

If the stingers don't get you, the crocodiles will.

I'd advise the OP to stick to swimming in pools up there.

They offered PADI courses in Darwin! Errrrrm no thanks!!!

Sorry this shouldn't be an anti Darwin thread. I hope someone can answer your original questions but just consider the move carefully. If it's just temporary to get the visa and then you can move elsewhere it might be worth it. Or you may absolutely love it and stay! I wouldn't be cutting ties with the UK though

Archived