HEARING AID AND AUDIOLOGY VISITS and MEDICARE

Mae m

Hi,

We got a medicare under UK reciprocal agreement and just wondering if the cost for audiologist is covered as well as hearing aid? If anyone has any information, i would be very thankful for your help. My daughter needs one so please let me know if you know of anything. Thank you

Not all that sure on children but as an adult the answer is no, unless you are over 65. however any health care costs over, I think $7500 at present, can be offset against tax's. I did this for my aids a couple of years ago and added all my other medical expenses to them too, (Dr's co payments and gap payments).

Go to your local medicare office and ask there.

hope all works out well with her.

Not all that sure on children but as an adult the answer is no, unless you are over 65. however any health care costs over, I think $7500 at present, can be offset against tax's. I did this for my aids a couple of years ago and added all my other medical expenses to them too, (Dr's co payments and gap payments).

Go to your local medicare office and ask there.

hope all works out well with her.

Thanks Keith and Linda, how do you do that, i mean to offset against tax?

Unless there's been another gov't backflip I don't think you can offset medical costs against tax anymore unless you're a "previous offsetter". My medical bills took me well over the offset last year @ $19K but my accountant said that only those who have offset in previous years can continue to offset, and even then, only for this tax year as The Libs have done away with offsets altogether for the future

Unless there's been another gov't backflip I don't think you can offset medical costs against tax anymore unless you're a "previous offsetter". My medical bills took me well over the offset last year @ $19K but my accountant said that only those who have offset in previous years can continue to offset, and even then, only for this tax year as The Libs have done away with offsets altogether for the future

Just been on the ATO website, whilst I have not read in detail this link https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-Return/2014/Supplementary-tax-return/Tax-offset-questions-T4-T11/T6---Total-net-medical-expenses/ but it may explain a little more, but looks like you can claim with the limits a lot lower than I originally thought, it is means tested but only to determine the offset %.

Johndoe, you may need to check with / change your accountant.

Thanks Keith and Linda, how do you do that, i mean to offset against tax?

It is probably best that you visit a Medicare office first to check your actual entitlements. If you do have to spend over the threshold, then I would call into an ATO office and ask them.

I use an accountant but your situation may not require the expense of using one.

Good luck.

Just been on the ATO website, whilst I have not read in detail this link https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-Return/2014/Supplementary-tax-return/Tax-offset-questions-T4-T11/T6---Total-net-medical-expenses/ but it may explain a little more, but looks like you can claim with the limits a lot lower than I originally thought, it is means tested but only to determine the offset %.

Johndoe, you may need to check with / change your accountant.

Nope, she's correct.

To be eligible to claim this offset you must have either:

• received this offset in your 2012–13 income tax assessment; or

• paid for medical expenses relating to disability aids, attendant care or aged care.

IOW, because I hadn't claimed in 2012-13 I couldn't claim in 2013-14 because the expenses were for hospital care and medications and not for disabilty aids or aged care. No new claimants were allowed in that tax year under the old rules and they had to staisfy the new rules above

Also my (privately paid for $2000) hearing aids weren't classed as disabilty aids. I can now get my hearing aids free though as I am now on a pension

Archived