Brisbane property market

markp

Definitely open to public transport, particularly, as you say, if it's a good route and accessible from where we live. I run a fair amount and can cope ok jogging in heat and humidity although there are clearly limits and I know I wouldn't be able to do it year round.

Arrived in Oz yesterday for a holiday and will go and explore Brisbane properly this weekend. Staying on the GC and did a 10K along the ocean this morning. Great way to start the day!

You may be interested in this then:

http://goldcoastmarathon.com.au/

Great running track

Hi Markp

We live in Ormeau, North Gold Coast.

It is a great area for families and right in the middle of GC and Brisbane.

I travel every day to Brisbane CBD and takes on average an 1 hour to get there.

But the benfits are so much better where we are that 1 hour is a cheap price to pay.

The other way Surfers is only 20 minutes away.

Let mw know if you would like any more info or try this website http://www.myormeau.com.au/

Just spent the day in Brisbane and really liked it. We only saw three areas today but Redhill was a particular favourite. Loved the green, hilly streets and it was very quiet, despite being really close to Waterworks road and, apoarently, only 3ks from the cbd. Do any of you live there or know it well? What do you think? Are the buses to the cbd ok? On the basis that we liked Redhill, what other places might you recommend?

Thanks.

Mark

I would try driving those streets in rush hour, both mornings and afternoons. Might look very different from how they look on a Saturday. The foothills of Mt Cootha are too hilly for my taste, and I was brought up there. The roads, along the ridges, are all old bullock tracks. The streets are narrow and get congested very quickly. One accident and it's really bad. You can check the bus routes for yourself, by looking at the Translink website, but the area is not on one of the busways as far as I know.

If I were coming here, and could afford to live that close to the CBD, I would be looking at something within walking distance of a train station or a busway. Nundah, Wooloowin, Newmarket, Wilston, Windsor, Gordon Park, Lutwyche, Albion. Windsor,as far as I know, is the only one to have both busway and train station. The school there is also very well regarded.

To the west, on the train line - Milton, Auchenflower, Taringa etc

But you MUST download a copy of the floodmaps from the Brisbane City Council website. Large chunks of this city went under water in the 2011 floods, including places that were not on the river - e.g. Rosalie. Water came up the drains. Hardly a surprise - Gregory Park was once known as Red Jacket Swamp! True, they tell us that those problems have been fixed, but you do need to remember that all of Brisbane is a flood plain for the Brisbane river and its tributaries. Some of these tributaries have disappeared from view, because they have been built over, but in heavy rain the drains can't cope.

Floods of that size don't happen often - 1893, 1974, 2011. But all it takes is for a couple of cyclones to collide off the coast.

Don't know much about the south side. The busway works well there too.

I would try driving those streets in rush hour, both mornings and afternoons. Might look very different from how they look on a Saturday. The foothills of Mt Cootha are too hilly for my taste, and I was brought up there. The roads, along the ridges, are all old bullock tracks. The streets are narrow and get congested very quickly. One accident and it's really bad. You can check the bus routes for yourself, by looking at the Translink website, but the area is not on one of the busways as far as I know.

If I were coming here, and could afford to live that close to the CBD, I would be looking at something within walking distance of a train station or a busway. Nundah, Wooloowin, Newmarket, Wilston, Windsor, Gordon Park, Lutwyche, Albion. Windsor,as far as I know, is the only one to have both busway and train station. The school there is also very well regarded.

To the west, on the train line - Milton, Auchenflower, Taringa etc

But you MUST download a copy of the floodmaps from the Brisbane City Council website. Large chunks of this city went under water in the 2011 floods, including places that were not on the river - e.g. Rosalie. Water came up the drains. Hardly a surprise - Gregory Park was once known as Red Jacket Swamp! True, they tell us that those problems have been fixed, but you do need to remember that all of Brisbane is a flood plain for the Brisbane river and its tributaries. Some of these tributaries have disappeared from view, because they have been built over, but in heavy rain the drains can't cope.

Floods of that size don't happen often - 1893, 1974, 2011. But all it takes is for a couple of cyclones to collide off the coast.

Don't know much about the south side. The busway works well there too.

Thanks Roberta2. Very useful. Definitely consulting the floodmaps!