is the IELTS test required for British citizen on a PR visa or a 457. Please help

Saco80

Hi, I'm new to the forum and at the beginning of researching moving to Perth on a PR visa or a sponsor if I can obtain one. I'm adding my points up but I'm unsure if i req to take the IELTS test, do you have to have these on either visa if you are from the United Kingdom born and bread or does my nationality show that my English is Upto the requirement? If anyone can let me know I would very much appreciate it as looking on all the sites they all say different things. I'm currently a qualified motor technician who has 15 yrs experience so tick all the right boxes. The agent I have been speaking to techs on the move state that I do not need the IELTS txt. Thanks

I was under the impression that everyone who applied for PR has to do it, no exceptions and not just for extra points. I certainly and have lived in the UK all my life educated up to degree level. As far as I know there is also no exception if you already work in Australia (a friend is a doctor in QLD and had to do it). Maybe it is different for 457's though.

Thank you both for your replying. Reading more into it I don't need the points for a 457 visa but if I applied for a PR I would req the IELTS test of 7+ in all 4 sections. You find yourself just going round in circles due to most websites contradict each other. Do you know how quickly a 457 visa can go through from finding a sponsor to moving? Also does the company apply for the visa on your behalf?

Does anybody know how quickly a 457 visa can go through from finding a sponsor to moving? Also does the company apply for the visa on your behalf?

thanks

I can only speak from my experience, but my company have done the application through a migration agent, we just had to provide personal information.

As for timescales I was told 3 - 5 weeks, however the Immi timescales state 75% will be done in 2 months from a low risk country, as it stands today we have been waiting 9 weeks with no sign of the finalised visa as yet

Hi, I'm new to the forum and at the beginning of researching moving to Perth on a PR visa or a sponsor if I can obtain one. I'm adding my points up but I'm unsure if i req to take the IELTS test, do you have to have these on either visa if you are from the United Kingdom born and bread or does my nationality show that my English is Upto the requirement? If anyone can let me know I would very much appreciate it as looking on all the sites they all say different things. I'm currently a qualified motor technician who has 15 yrs experience so tick all the right boxes. The agent I have been speaking to techs on the move state that I do not need the IELTS txt. Thanks

British citizens are assumed to meet the basic English language requirements automatically without needing an IELTS test.

A British citizen only needs to do IELTS if they are applying for a points tested visa and need additional points for English language OR, if they need skills assessment for an occupation where the assessment authority has higher than the basic English requirements (accountants, teachers and a few other professional occupations - NOT motor mechanics).

If you are applying for a points tested visa and can score at least 60 points without needing additional points for Proficient or Superior English, you won't need to do IELTS. If you need the 10 points for Proficient English, you will need to do IELTS General (not Academic).

457s are 3 stage visas.

1. The employer must have sponsorship approval or get it if they are not already an approved sponsor.

2. The employer must nominate the specific worker for sponsorship.

3. The employee must apply for the 457 visa.

The 3 stages must be done in the right order though 1 or more stages can be applied for at the same time. The employer must cover all costs related to stages 1 and 2 including agent fees, sponsorship and nomination charges, costs of recruitment etc and they are not allowed to pass any of those costs to the employee either directly or indirectly.

If the employer is not already an approved sponsor, that stage is complex and can take weeks or even months. If the employer is already an approved sponsor, it's quite common for the nomination and visa processing stages to take only a couple of weeks though most take a bit longer than that.

Once you find a sponsor, the time for the visa to be granted can be anywhere from a few weeks to several months depending on several factors (have they sponsored previously or do they need to start from the very beginning).

Finding a sponsor can take anywhere from weeks to years. Much will depend on your occupation and your ability to find an employer willing/able to sponsor an overseas worker who they may not be able to meet in person and can't guarantee when you may be able to start working.

If at all possible you should investigate independent or state-sponsored migration before going down the path of employer sponsorship.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've booked in for the IELTS test but couldn't get in till the 28th feb and if I fail I have to wait another month to re-sit it, due to the lack of available centre's within my area. I've applied for a few jobs on a 457 and if I get them I think I'll just go over on the 457, if i have had no look by the time I do the IELTS test and I pass I'm going to apply for the PR and fingers crossed I get in. I was only looking at the 457 because I'll have the guarantee of a job/income from the off.

thanks

I was under the impression that everyone who applied for PR has to do it, no exceptions and not just for extra points. I certainly and have lived in the UK all my life educated up to degree level. As far as I know there is also no exception if you already work in Australia (a friend is a doctor in QLD and had to do it). Maybe it is different for 457's though.

No. You have been told wrong.

Archived