all booked up for our reccy advice needed please

davidholly

hi there we are coming over to have a look around as we are thinking of moving over there (we leave the uk tomorrow new years day!)

we are staying near clevland for our trip but have car rental and just wanted any advice/ suggestions on what to look out for or to see on our visit?

we are hoping to move out there asap after our trip its just to get a taste for it and see as many areas as we can so try get an idea of where we would like to be

thanks

Not specific advice for Queensland as I didn't live there but I would suggest not treating it like a holiday and try to live as you would at home. Shop in local supermarkets, try travelling to/from the CBD in the rush hour from different areas you'd consider living in. If schools are relevant, try to arrange visits - you may find they are reluctant if you're not living in the catchment area but you can even learn a lot about a school by standing at a nearby bus stop or travelling on a nearby train line.

Go to home opens of houses in your price bracket - that was the single most useful thing we did on our reccie as we realised the areas we thought we could afford to live in we couldn't as the houses we could afford that looked okay on the internet were dumps - it lead to a complete re-think. You don't need to make appointments, the open times are advertised and you just turn up.

Of course you need to have some fun but keep in perspective that the tourist things you do, you are unlikely to do often once you live there so focus more on the things you do at home. If you have specific hobbies etc. try to find out how well catered for they are, speak to people in clubs etc. Or if you have designs on taking up new hobbies then give it a go and get a realistic view of costs/opportunities etc.

And the best advice I can give is listen to your heart - I think we knew on our reccie it wasn't for us but ignored all the warning signs anyway!

We live 10 mins drive from cleveland in birkdale. An hour each way is the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. At weekends we hot the beach and our favourite is noosa. Park up the hill and go for a costal bush walk and go to one of the private beaches. You also have places like mooloolaba and caloundra. Maybe also drive up the costal route on David low way, that's a lovely drive. Try the hinterland too like melany and if your feeling active there's a lovely walk there which takes you down to a swimming spot with a waterfall safe for swimming. Oh not to forget australia zoo. As for the Gold Coast it's more lively there are theme parks 50 mins drive from you like wet and wild, movie world And sea world. You can get a 1 year pass for these for 90 bucks each. There are quieter beaches like kirra and coolangatta then busy spots like surfers paradise. Also, currumbin creek is a nice spot and the wildlife sanctuary there too where lorrekeets feed twice a day from your hand. As for the more local area around cleveland there seems to be quite a lot of Brits. Don't really think there's any really bad places to live, but if I had to avoid places to live it would be capalaba, alexandra hills, and some parts of wynnum. Wellington point is also nice. A few shops there and you can walk to king island when the tide is out.

Saying that you do need to spend the time here wisely and look at what thins would be like if you did move here. Maybe make some

lists and compare when u get home. Any questions let me know x

Exciting for you!!!

We're in Wellington Point, right by Cleveland - Zoedan24's list of things is really good and I'd agree that there isn't anywhere 'bad' but there are areas that personally we didn't want to live in. If you guys want to go for a coffee while you are here, or ask any questions let us know :-)

Enjoy your trip. There ARE some bad spots, I will not mention unless you PM me for fear of upsetting anybody as last time I expressed an opinion I was called racist!

The most important thing is to try your drive to and from work or where you think you maybe working. Brisbane has a big issue with traffic, not everywhere but Pacific Highway, Gateway Motorway, Ipswich Motorway, Gimpie Road, Shafton Road etc can be an absolute nightmare and add 2 hours to your working day. My wife and myself work in CBD so pay a little more to be within 10 mins drive of work, money well spent in our opinion. The compromise is not only price but also generally smaller plots.

Once your here perminantly there is plenty of time for the tourist bits, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast should become a little quiter with kids going back soon, as mentioned about 1 hour each way. Byron Bay is nice with a different feel, about 2 hours. Look over some houses, Queenslanders, lovely looking and some can be amazing however they can be insecure and allow a lot of noise through. We went for practicality with mid 90's built unit (3 bed end of terrace) with yard and huge garage, suits us, good accessible area (Ascot) and importantly has train line (Doomben line is only part time) City Cat at Brett's Wharf and busses.

Do do get a Go Card for public transport, saves money and speeds your trip up.

S

thanks for all the help. think we were looking to go up to noosa and mooloolaba one weekend but what is 'hinterland like melany' Zoedan24? sounds amazing!!

we got told to try tangalooma island aswell off a friend that has just came back from living in brisbane for 2 year any thoughts on this?

yeah tina 0101 that would be good probs have so many questions to have haha

we just about ready to set off for the airport now so looking forward to it

Nosa is nice, we went one weekend and was very busy. Would go back, spend a couple of nights but then would consider it done. If your into you motor racing, I understand Mark Webber has a place there so be on the lookout. Personally I preferred Byron Bay, a bit rougher around the edges but had a really laid back surfer feel and the Main Beach is amazing.

Inland, we have been slacking and we need to do some exploring.

S

It'll take a couple of days to get over the lag!! Locally, if you don't fancy doing too much, go up to the lighthouse and cafe at Cleveland Point. You can have a cuppa and look out over the bay - a lovely view for when you feel like doing nothing :-).

we are in the city centre on adelaide street for 2 nights (check out tomorrow morning) then pick up car rental and drive down to thornlands as the place in thornlands wasnt available for our 1st two nights. going to try have a walk round a bit today see what is around but all in all up to now it is beautiful

Treat yourselves to a drink at Eagle Street Riverside overlooking Story Bridge, stroll along Southbank and maybe lunch (steak is great) at the Plough Inn Pub on Southbank. A little more relaxing is the Brisbane Powerhouse where live acts play free of charge on Sunday and is a nice riverside location, based in Newstead but has a City Cat stop as does Riverside and Southbank.

Enjoy.

S

yeah we overlook that bridge from our room view is amazing!! we had a stroll along the riverside very nice, we also went to the main centre and myer centre then across the bridge towards the wheel the along to the 'beach' haha was unreal loving our trip so far. we getting car today then going down to thornlands for our holiday rental

arrived in thornlands and the place we staying in is amazing! really nice had a little drive around (went to supermarket) and the area looks really really nice had to buy a sat nav as the rental place was too much a charge but that didn't set us back much and will be getting used most days anyways. so quiet and still only a short drive from the city

arrived in thornlands and the place we staying in is amazing! really nice had a little drive around (went to supermarket) and the area looks really really nice had to buy a sat nav as the rental place was too much a charge but that didn't set us back much and will be getting used most days anyways. so quiet and still only a short drive from the city

Just about to leave work and head on home to Thornlands myself. Straddy is good for beaches and some 4 wheel driving, but also try Coochiemudlo from Victoria point, or some of the small man made beaches along Raby Bay, or try Manly, even the Gold Coast is only 45/60min away.

Enjoy your stay and the area.

Archived