Finally here, any electricians out there who can help with work

bettyboo

Finally arrived after 6 long years in the process, i have sorted qld driving licence, white card and am just waiting on provisional licence. I am sure any fellow sparks will know its not that easy just to walk into a job but if anyone has any info please contact me.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I run an electrical contracting business here and have to tell you, Queensland is the hardest place to get a license from the UK. Without a QLD license you will not be able to work as a tradesman only a trade assistant until you have a license.

I run an electrical contracting business here and have to tell you, Queensland is the hardest place to get a license from the UK. Without a QLD license you will not be able to work as a tradesman only a trade assistant until you have a license.

Hi SteveinOZ

Can you answer a few questions please? My husband is here in the UK still and planning to come next year all going well. So he would do the skills select or vetasses in London here and then hen he gets to Oz he needs to go to college is that correct to get the license without it he would not be able to work 'unsupervised' - is my thinking correct?? :skeptical:

Thanks

LMx

Hi SteveinOZ

Can you answer a few questions please? My husband is here in the UK still and planning to come next year all going well. So he would do the skills select or vetasses in London here and then hen he gets to Oz he needs to go to college is that correct to get the license without it he would not be able to work 'unsupervised' - is my thinking correct?? :skeptical:

Thanks

LMx

After all the bull **** you go through in the UK you come to Australia and have to try and find a job as an electrical trades assistant for about a year whilst you complete a log book showing you've de-skilled yourself enough to then sit some more exams for a couple of weeks doing some final test. Only after robbing you of a few thousand more and making you work on TA wages (25/30 an hour ) can you then apply for you full licence. It's a money making system when you get here and the quality of electrical work is shocking

with the exception of South Australia there all hard to get a licence in

Hi SteveinOZ

Thanks

LMx

Paul1977 pretty much covered your question. Once you complete your on the job assessment you will have to do what they call a capstone test which I think is around the $2500 mark.

After all the bull **** you go through in the UK you come to Australia and have to try and find a job as an electrical trades assistant for about a year whilst you complete a log book showing you've de-skilled yourself enough to then sit some more exams for a couple of weeks doing some final test. Only after robbing you of a few thousand more and making you work on TA wages (25/30 an hour ) can you then apply for you full licence. It's a money making system when you get here and the quality of electrical work is shocking

Hi Pau1977

sounds like a lot of hoops to have to jump

through! Thanks for reply! Do you have a license now?

Lx

How have people found getting employed as a TA utill you get your licence? Is work easy to come by or are employers reluctant to take ppl on without a licence? I currently work in Operations so trying to get a job in the same role. Got my visa thru being qualified spark but not liking the thought of going back to apprenticeship days on crap money till I can sort a licence out.

How have people found getting employed as a TA utill you get your licence? Is work easy to come by or are employers reluctant to take ppl on without a licence? I currently work in Operations so trying to get a job in the same role. Got my visa thru being qualified spark but not liking the thought of going back to apprenticeship days on crap money till I can sort a licence out.
its the only way I'm afraid

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you can get work As a TA hubby was really annoyed when found out test are virtually same as the ones you do with vetasses to get visa in first place, then have to come and be a trainee when more qualified experienced than a lot of aussies. He has also said quality of work is shocking here. He is still doing college course done log book needs to fill in a new part of the course that only came out a few months ago, then has the joy of doing the exams and paying a large sum for it. Its not simple process but as others have said you need a tafe college that does electrical course

Archived