Tattoo Related - Will My Tattoos Cut The Chances Of Me Getting Job In Oz ?

Tozeyy

okay......I have an issue. I'm already an Ozzy citizen.....my mum has passed down her residency to me.....I have an Ozzy passport. I'm thinking of moving out there to start a new life....try and get myself a job straight away. I have lots of tattoos going all up my arm....across my chest....and the frontal view of my neck. Will this lower my chances of getting a job ? I would like to know how tolerant Australia can be with employing someone with lots of tattoos. Many thanks ! Laura x

okay......I have an issue. I'm already an Ozzy citizen.....my mum has passed down her residency to me.....I have an Ozzy passport. I'm thinking of moving out there to start a new life....try and get myself a job straight away. I have lots of tattoos going all up my arm....across my chest....and the frontal view of my neck. Will this lower my chances of getting a job ? I would like to know how tolerant Australia can be with employing someone with lots of tattoos. Many thanks ! Laura x

Depends on the type of work you want to do and if you can cover them with clothing.

I have writing across my chest, a full arm sleeve, writing across my throat, and I'm getting my hand tattooed this month. I wanted to know if anyone knows how tolerant Australia can be with employing someone with lots of tattoos ! I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist and a trained bar associate

I have writing across my chest, a full arm sleeve, writing across my throat, and I'm getting my hand tattooed this month. I wanted to know if anyone knows how tolerant Australia can be with employing someone with lots of tattoos ! I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist and a trained bar associate

The guy off Home and Away seems to do OK.

Guest guest30085

Whereas I wouldn't have any problem employing someone with visible tattoos, even though I have none.

I would only say it depends on what type of work you are looking for, working within a corporate environment may be a problem (yet I still can't see why in this day and age) but I'm sure there are plenty of industries/companies where it shouldn't cause as much of a problem. I will say though that my little cousin is covered neck downwards and at times he has had difficulty getting into a couple of pubs as they stated no visible tats (these weren't fine dining places either). Ridiculous!

All the best with your plans, I hope you have a great time :-)

Guest Guest66881
I wouldn't employ you put it that way.

Does that apply to nationality to, or is it just down to a preconceived notion that someone with tattoos is dangerous or untrustworthy?

I think its the same as the UK ....some employers won't mind, others will see you as the devil:confused:

Because I suppose of the different climate, people wearing less clothes, I see more tattooed people here than I did in the UK.

but in reality its prob about the same.

Ok !Thank you For Everyone's Replies ! :) Its Made Me Feel Alot At Ease.....I Currently Work For Whetherspoons Company In The UK At The Moment. They Are Absoulty Okay With My Tattoos, As long As I'm Wearing Correct Uniform And Looking Smart, They Don't Mind. I Look Very Vintage And Pin-Up ! I'm Saving Very Hard To Move To Australia. I Hope They Will Accept Me For Who I Am. X Laura X

Whereas I wouldn't have any problem employing someone with visible tattoos, even though I have none.

I would only say it depends on what type of work you are looking for, working within a corporate environment may be a problem (yet I still can't see why in this day and age) but I'm sure there are plenty of industries/companies where it shouldn't cause as much of a problem. I will say though that my little cousin is covered neck downwards and at times he has had difficulty getting into a couple of pubs as they stated no visible tats (these weren't fine dining places either). Ridiculous!

All the best with your plans, I hope you have a great time :-)

Thankyou Madonna ! That's Very Kind Of You :) Non Of My Tattoos Are Offensive....I Have Lots Of Beautiful Roses And Beautiful Script Writing On My Body. Just Fingers Crossed I Will Get Accepted Out In Oz !

I've seen quite a few bar staff with tattoos and lots of people in beauty have them too, so it shouldn't be a problem!

As someone else mentioned, because it's hotter, more skin is on show so you see them more. Which I like as I love tattoos (as long as they're tasteful).

If you go for a job it sounds like they'll be able to see your tattoos and if they reject you on that basis, would you want to work for them anyway?!?

I wouldn't worry about it

Guest Guest 47403
Ok !Thank you For Everyone's Replies ! :) Its Made Me Feel Alot At Ease.....I Currently Work For Whetherspoons Company In The UK At The Moment. They Are Absoulty Okay With My Tattoos, As long As I'm Wearing Correct Uniform And Looking Smart, They Don't Mind. I Look Very Vintage And Pin-Up ! I'm Saving Very Hard To Move To Australia. I Hope They Will Accept Me For Who I Am. X Laura X

Good luck with your move, I think in this day and age people are not as narrow minded as in the past, guy I work with has face piercings bloody good at his job too, and a kiwi lass in HR has a tattoo on her chest.

Some not so bright folk will somehow link tattoos and your ability to do your job though.

I'd tend to agree that the amount of tattoos on display are similar to the UK (I work in ED so I see a fair amount of them from fresh to sundamaged and rather blurry). There's plenty of nurses with neck tattoos and a few sleeves which makes me think that it is again at a similar level to the UK if not more relaxed in the acceptance level. (Doctors generally never have visible tattoos - not sure why but that's the unwritten rule). Anyway, healthcare doesn't seem to make it taboo. I do wonder if hand and neck tattoos may be pushing some employers acceptance limit but with every rejection, you'll probably get another one who will remember you from the interview because of it...

Archived