Recent Migrant

Hey all,

My partner and I are recent migrants to Melbourne - 3 months in now.

All is going well although we have a few concerns & would love to have some folk around to chat to who have gone through similar.

We wondered if there were any meet ups planned or discussion groups or anything that helps new migrants navigate their new landscape so to speak.

We have Australian friends and all the people we have met so far have been super friendly but its always god to have a group of people who have been there and done that when we have questions.

We would be grateful for any info if there are any groups like that around in the Melbourne area :smile:

Thanks

Clare & David

• 3 months later...
You must have been here six months now? How is it going?

Well, despite the fact that they had found Aussie friends and all the people that they had met had been "super friendly" my guess is that they were reaching out for Pommy friends so it's anyone's guess...............my guess is that they're "hanging on" to that bit of "home" IYKWIM? which may eventually ruin all chance of them settling here <tongue in cheek.>

I don't go the meet ups anymore ! ...wish I never went to begin with ...infact it wish I never joined fb full stop ,I will sh I never joined any groups too lol . They become addictive when ya bored !

What I found on meet ups you tried be polite and some would look at you like you had a dick strapped to ya head or something .

If one person didn't float ya boat or you there's they would all be in a click gossiping ...so I stopped going em .

not saying it will be the same for you ...but if carnt be bothered anymore lol . When I get back in wa or if ...I know who my friends are !

Brissie friends are lovely just not on my doorstep . I carnt be bothered with the group meet ups because ...it's all talk about ...what do you do for a living ...I'm a cleaner ...they turn and walk away pmsl ...what school do ya kids go ...blah de bloody blah .

I carnt stand it .what happened to let's turn up the music and let ya hair down haha :)!

Edited by Shellybingobingo