Gluten-free products in Sydney

DianaK

We are family that eats mostly gluten-free foods.

Any advice on stores and brands will be of big help for us as in the beginning we would not know where to shop and two family members are sensitive to anything that contains gluten. They never had issues in Europe but developed it here, in Canada.

Also, would you reccomend certain organic stores or markets that carry organic produce?

Guest littlesarah
Thanks, Maryrose02.

I googled too and was nicely surprised by the number of bakeries and restaurants I found :)

Hopefully, this does not mean that too many people in this part of the world are gluten intollerant ....

A lot of people are self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, and of course there are those who are firmly of the belief that gluten is inherently unhealthy, so that market is burgeoning.

That said, the major supermarkets carry gluten-free products (including Aldi), and an organic range, if that is your preference. Though farmers' markets are a good place for organic produce too. Can't help with where those are held in Sydney though, I'm afraid.

Very ture, littlesarah.

I was very sceptical about the gluten-free hype until I saw what difference the gluten-free diet made to my daughter's and my husband's health.

For myslef, I can only say that eventhough I am not intollerant, I feel much better when sticking to their diet, although I do eat wheat occasionally.

Woolies has a fairly big gluten free range, although these days we don't tend to eat 'replacement' items as such, and just don't eat pasta/bread/processed foods with gluten in. There seem quite a few health food shops around our area (Sutherland Shire) which do that sort of thing too, which I would imaging would be true of most areas.

I've been off since living in oz with food intolerances , well that's what I believe it to be , still wouldn't go gluten free unless I had to though . I've got go see a gastro on Monday to see about the camera both ends ! I do try stay away from bread and things but I have not long fetched a pizza for my lad and I pinched a slice and now wish I hadn't . My teeth go numb , pins and needles in my feet , flank pain both sides , go dead tired , I'm sick of it . I did cut it out completely felt loads better but if I want the camera I need to be on it ! My appointment came through for the camera in perth the day I moved to brissie Sod's law lol :) I need to know because I love my food ! And although they say gluten is bad for you I wouldn't like cut it out unless I really had too , it's the thought of not having a fresh cream cake lol :)