Sydney vs Brisbane

srg73

I have a chance of possibly moving with my job to Sydney either part or full time....depends on negotiations and options presented. I have not been to Sydney and have fallen in love with Brisbane over the last 3 months however I am aware that I have got to go where I am needed.

Can anybody provide some tips on Sydney please, best areas to live with good transport, good social life but not a budget buster. I have got to look up where the office is and plan everything from there I suppose?

Thanks. Simon

Hello

We have lived in both Brisbane and Sydney. The latter is more expensive but a great place to be. We lived in Glebe, right near Glebe Point, which is excellent for being near to the city but with a lovely community feel. Plenty of social life too. It is expensive to buy there now but there are places to rent. In that area too there are suburbs like Annandale and Balmain. We also lived for a time in a suburb called Kogarah which was about half an hour commute to the city. What we liked about Kogarah was that we could walk down to the sea front in 15mins. There are plenty of units in that area so finding rental should be ok. Avoid the most westerly suburbs. Hope you find something and enjoy it.:smile:

Can anybody provide some tips on Sydney please, best areas to live with good transport, good social life but not a budget buster. I have got to look up where the office is and plan everything from there I suppose?

Thanks. Simon

What's your idea of a budget buster? Property in Sydney is horrendously expensive compared to Brisbane. I'm sure MaryRose will drop in with some ads from Domain.com.au, but bear in mind that the photos always make a place look a lot bigger/better condition than it really is!

The Inner West and Eastern Suburbs are the best areas for social life but also the most expensive.

What's your idea of a budget buster? Property in Sydney is horrendously expensive compared to Brisbane. I'm sure MaryRose will drop in with some ads from Domain.com.au, but bear in mind that the photos always make a place look a lot bigger/better condition than it really is!

The Inner West and Eastern Suburbs are the best areas for social life but also the most expensive.

I did have a look at two flats in my complex on Sat morning, one for sale - not unlike my own, with a garage on separate title, though, unlike my own, updated for the 21st century. and another for lease, similar to my own but with the bedroom and bathroom on a second level.

I think the one for sale was expected to bring in 'middle 600k's' and the one for rent about $550 per week. That is in Surry Hills, easy walking distance to Central Station, buses outside the door, or 100 metres down the road, depending on which direction you are going, just about easy walking distance to the CBD - 20-25 minutes, everything you'd want in the way of shopping/eating/drinking all 'on your doorstep.'

As you move further out from the city, then the rents will usually decrease, though commuting times and costs will increase. I guess it depends on where you are working, and what you want?

Archived