Rats!

Bromney

We moved into a house we purchased a few weeks ago. It's a 3 bedroom semi-detached place with a large extension. The extension's roof is a flat metal roof, there is no crawl space. We've been hearing something in the roof, a lot of random noises at all kinds of hours. We suspect it's roof rats but unable to confirm as we can't actually access the roof.

After reading various sites I put ratsak in the roof by pulling down the downlights, idea being they'd eat it and die. It's been 10 days and I can still hear the buggers, it's a lot quiter than what it was so it's possible one or more of them have eaten it and the rest have become wise.

Has anyone else had to deal with something similar? Do you have any advice on what else we can do?

If it was a roof with a crawl space this would be much easier!

I you 110% its IN the roof, the reason i ask is when we first moved here ,we had similar thoughts (noises at night, scratching etc) but we then found out its Possums ON the roof when all is dark and quiet and they have come out to play... and dont even get me started on the cracking and creaking the tin makes after a hot day,lol, it sounds like someone is having a party in my loft,lol..

Cal x

I you 110% its IN the roof, the reason i ask is when we first moved here ,we had similar thoughts (noises at night, scratching etc) but we then found out its Possums ON the roof when all is dark and quiet and they have come out to play... and dont even get me started on the cracking and creaking the tin makes after a hot day,lol, it sounds like someone is having a party in my loft,lol..

Cal x

The noises aren't restricted to night time, they occur during the day too. In fact they are probably worse in the day than at night, them seem very active in the morning around 10am. I've just been hearing them now but it's the odd 'thud thud' here and there.

I've also laid traps outside but nothing has been taken so far. It's the not knowing that makes this frustrating.

Have you had anyone out to look (pest spray type person) ?

If you think they are a tad quieter after you used Ratsak ,try a different type of bait and see if it gets rid completely.

I agree with the not knowing ,it would drive me mad if i wasnt sure what was crawling about..

Cal x

Pest control say they will just lay bait externally which I can do myself. There is no crawl space in the roof so it's not possible to get a visual. I'm contemplating buying a snake like video camera from eBay and trying to have a look through the downlight.

Yeah I think I will try another bait but would feel so more confident if I knew what the h*ll was making all that stupid noise!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Second that above; rats are most active dawn and dusk, and loud "thud" is most likely expansion of a beam or something - my place does it and it sounds like someone trying to break in.

If you have rats they have to come down to find food, so there's no need to put bait through the lights, put it in your back yard and they'll find it. There is a massive infestation around us at the moment; we've got 60 out of the shed so far this summer alone, and that's only the ones we could find.

• 1 month later...
Guest crismartin875

thank god i am not suffering these type of situations,but sometimes in my way i met with rats and they scared from me and run away.

Archived