Citizenship - Anyone apply/approved with 90+ days travel during the course of final year?

bonza2211

Hi Guys,

DIAC states the following :

"not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying"

I'm curious as to whether there is any truth that this is not enforced as a hard rule (the 90 days in the year prior to applying)? Anybody here with first hand experience?

My situation is that since I was granted PR in November last year and since then I have traveled on and off for about 120 days partly for business and holidays.

Timeline :

10/01/2009 - Arrived in Oz on TR

xx/11/2013 - ENS186 Approved

xx/11/2014 - Complete 1 year on PR and 5 years residing in Oz

Disclaimer :

I understand rules are rules and I do not seek advice on how to "cheat" the system. I am merely inquiring as to the experience of PIO members who may have applied for Citizenship even though the had a cumulative travel of 90+ days in the immediate year.

Edited by bonza2211

Exceptions have been made to this rule if the applicant is a member of the defence force and was deployed. Another exception I have heard of is when the applicant had been on holidays and ended up in a foreign hospital for a month. If your reason for being overseas is to do with holiday or family issues then there is no exception. If it was due to a job you had with the Australian government then an exception is possible

If it was due to a job you had with the Australian government then an exception is possible

Thank you.

My employer is a private limited enterprise, therefore I guess I cannot be considered for any sort of exemption and will have to wait till I have spent the required time here.