Public access to tall buildings in Sydney

ggavy

Hi everyone,

so this will probably be one of the more random questions you might read on this site. I would like to know if any of the tall buildings/skyscrapers in Sydney CBD are public access? I don't just mean getting to the top floor but being able to get off the elevator at say floor 20, floor 40 etc. The reason I ask is I'm currently going through a course to get over a fear of heights. Part of this is to gradually expose yourself to greater and greater heights. Hence a building whereby I can go up in steps would be ideal.

I doubt there will be such a building but I thought it might be worth posting here in any case.

Thanks in advance,

G

Guest The Pom Queen

There is the Citigroup tower but again I'm not sure if you need a key card to access it. I believe you can walk up ex amount of steps at the Harbour Bridge, I will see if I can find the link, it's not the bridge climb

Thanks Pom Queen,

yes, I would need to be able to look out the window. The idea behind it is that you put yourself into a nervy situation but force yourself to stick with it until it no longer instills panic. Once you are comfortable with that level (which may take several visits) you can move higher up and repeat the process....

Gerry

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks Pom Queen,

yes, I would need to be able to look out the window. The idea behind it is that you put yourself into a nervy situation but force yourself to stick with it until it no longer instills panic. Once you are comfortable with that level (which may take several visits) you can move higher up and repeat the process....

Gerry

Good luck with it Gerry.

There's nothing to stop you going to a few 'open house' inspections in blocks of flats, look at the adverts, see what level the flats are, perhaps, but is it something you would want to do on your own?

You could start 'small' somewhere like David Jones in Castlereagh St, or Westfield on Pitt St, go up one level at a time, till you get to whatever it is - 6/7/8?. There are a few multi-storey car parks where you could do the same thing.

Walk over the Harbour Bridge and it gets successively higher above the ground. You only have to go as far as you want. But, again, you might want someone with you. I don't like crowds, and I just remembered that when the Bridge was closed to traffic in 1992 on the 60th anniversary, I - foolishly - agreed to walk over with friends, and about 250,000 others, and had something of a panic attack.

I'm not so keen on heights either, but I noticed that it is worse when I can actually go out on to balconies as opposed to looking through windows.

Guest The Pom Queen
There's nothing to stop you going to a few 'open house' inspections in blocks of flats, look at the adverts, see what level the flats are, perhaps, but is it something you would want to do on your own?

You could start 'small' somewhere like David Jones in Castlereagh St, or Westfield on Pitt St, go up one level at a time, till you get to whatever it is - 6/7/8?. There are a few multi-storey car parks where you could do the same thing.

Walk over the Harbour Bridge and it gets successively higher above the ground. You only have to go as far as you want. But, again, you might want someone with you. I don't like crowds, and I just remembered that when the Bridge was closed to traffic in 1992 on the 60th anniversary, I - foolishly - agreed to walk over with friends, and about 250,000 others, and had something of a panic attack.

I'm not so keen on heights either, but I noticed that it is worse when I can actually go out on to balconies as opposed to looking through windows.

Some great ideas there Dave

Best bet would be the Eiffel Tower with your eyes closed, you could periodically open your eyes on the way up, no backing out coz you'd be in a lift - perfect!!

Surely standing in a building looking out of a window would not cure a fear of heights?!? I have a fear of heights but at the same time I have a huge interest in high rise buildings. I've have been up the Eiffel Tower, the burj khalifa and eureka tower but I'd still **** myself if stood on a ladder!! Surely the feeling of fear is related to the feeling of safety?

I'm confused!!

Thanks MaryRose. I'm actually looking at places that I can start at say floor 20 or so (below that and I'm generally okay). But the 'open house' idea is a good one - I hadn't thought of that.

Best bet would be the Eiffel Tower with your eyes closed, you could periodically open your eyes on the way up, no backing out coz you'd be in a lift - perfect!!

Surely standing in a building looking out of a window would not cure a fear of heights?!? I have a fear of heights but at the same time I have a huge interest in high rise buildings. I've have been up the Eiffel Tower, the burj khalifa and eureka tower but I'd still **** myself if stood on a ladder!! Surely the feeling of fear is related to the feeling of safety?

I'm confused!!

Not for me unfortunately. It's an irrational fear. Even though I know I'd be totally safe going up the Eiffel tower or even the Westfield tower in Sydney, the fear still kicks in.

Hi everyone,

so this will probably be one of the more random questions you might read on this site. I would like to know if any of the tall buildings/skyscrapers in Sydney CBD are public access? I don't just mean getting to the top floor but being able to get off the elevator at say floor 20, floor 40 etc. The reason I ask is I'm currently going through a course to get over a fear of heights. Part of this is to gradually expose yourself to greater and greater heights. Hence a building whereby I can go up in steps would be ideal.

There are probably several. In an office building that has multiple tenants, it's unlikely you'll need an access card to use the lifts. After all, they all have customers who need to visit them!

Just look for a tenant on a high floor, and you should be able to get in the lift and go to that floor. Explain your situation to the receptionist and most will be happy to let you sit in reception for a while.

I can recall sitting in a reception area on the top floor of the MLC building once, waiting for an interview. No idea who the company was or whether they're still there, though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AltyMatt

There are a couple of bars in tall buildings - a drink may help ease your nerves & I guess you could sit away from the window & occasionally walk back to the view when you felt like it.

Blu Bar on level 36 of Shangri-La Hotel has great views across Harbour.

O Bar on 47th floor of Australia Square slowly turns, so you don't even need to get out of your chair to enjoy the whole view.

• 9 years later...