Republic?

ali

Should Australia become a republic  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Australia become a republic

• Yes
    • No

ummmm unsure need to think about this one

not sure that oz could cope if they became under attack they would then need to call on the brits and americans for help,

would becoming a republic be a waste of money having to change the currency,flag,stationery, and have to hold a referendum, i dont know

There was a refererendum held in November 1999 as my hubby voted in at that time the votes were 46% yes 54% no

Guest fatpom
ummmm unsure need to think about this one

not sure that oz could cope if they became under attack they would then need to call on the brits and americans for help,

The ANZUS alliance between Australia, NZ and the US is probably the only real alliance worth consideration.

Many Aussies consider that they were abandoned to the Japanese during WW2 with some justification I would say. It was a question of prioritities from the British perspective, whilst it was abandonment from the Aussies perspective. I wouldn't expect anything different next time round either. :smile:

Guest Dave53

I feel that Australia needs to unite its 6 States and 2 Territories first before the Republic question can even be broached . I live in NSW , and always find it amazing that different states have different laws , road rules , registration requirements for professional persons (ask nurses , security persons etc . ) even extradition requirements for criminals between States , and surprising enough border checks to see whether you are carrying bananas or budgies .It really does feel like you are in a different country when you are in another State . I worry that the Republic debate will become an anti British campaign , and if that's the case I will not support it . Many Aussies want an Australian Head of State , and that's understandable , but at what cost ?? ... many millions$ I guess , if not billions , and with just 10 Million tax payers who will foot the bill ?? .... You guessed it . At the end of the day it all depends what type of campaign is run , if it's like the previous Liberal model , it will probably fall flat again , however , this Labor Government is unlikely to fall into that trap . The subject of this thread is " Republic - How would you vote ? " ... I say NO ..

Dave C

I feel that Australia needs to unite its 6 States and 2 Territories first before the Republic question can even be broached . I live in NSW , and always find it amazing that different states have different laws , road rules , registration requirements for professional persons (ask nurses , security persons etc . ) even extradition requirements for criminals between States , and surprising enough border checks to see whether you are carrying bananas or budgies .It really does feel like you are in a different country when you are in another State . I worry that the Republic debate will become an anti British campaign , and if that's the case I will not support it . Many Aussies want an Australian Head of State , and that's understandable , but at what cost ?? ... many millions$ I guess , if not billions , and with just 10 Million tax payers who will foot the bill ?? .... You guessed it . At the end of the day it all depends what type of campaign is run , if it's like the previous Liberal model , it will probably fall flat again , however , this Labor Government is unlikely to fall into that trap . The subject of this thread is " Republic - How would you vote ? " ... I say NO ..

Dave C

Great reply to the thread Dave, I really think you have hit the nail on the head & i agree with all that you have said.

gizmo

Great reply there Dave, it would be marvellous if we could have the same laws etc as the rest of Oz, I have friends that have lived in WA & Queensland that can't believe the cost of things here in NSW, you should have gone to the 20/20 summit, :biglaugh:.

Guest Dave53
Great reply there Dave, it would be marvellous if we could have the same laws etc as the rest of Oz, I have friends that have lived in WA & Queensland that can't believe the cost of things here in NSW, you should have gone to the 20/20 summit, :biglaugh:.

Apparently Monarchists weren't invited .... Well that's what the reports indicate ... I think there was only one anti republican vote counted . Coincidence ?? ... I think not .. Call me cynical if you like .

Dave C

Guest fatpom
Apparently Monarchists weren't invited .... Well that's what the reports indicate ... I think there was only one anti republican vote counted . Coincidence ?? ... I think not .. Call me cynical if you like .

Dave C

You're probably right! The last talkfest on the republican issue nearly ten years ago was stitched up by the gov of that day to ensure the royalists prevailed. No gov is going to allow an outcome contrary to their mandate and nor should they.

I quite like Bob Carr's proposal, the Govoner General becomes the constitutional head with no real political or judicial power, much the same as now, so the only difference is that we have our own non-political 'head of nation' answerable only to Australia, its goverment and its people.

The question of how that person is selected becomes the issue of course but as a transitional stage he's suggesting to just keep everything for now "as is" and simply constitutionally break from the UK so Australia becomes a mature independent state.

That seems to me an ideal option where no-one except the very few extreme royalist die hards would be marginalised.

Personally I'm largely indifferent about the issue... if it comes to a vote I'll probably vote for a republic simply because I've never understood the sense in a modern country bestowing national leadership based on birth.

BTW I recall that during the last republican referendum a lot of pro-republic people were telling the local poms to 'butt-out'... assuming that poms were by and large pro-royalist.

A survey was conducted and it was found the brits were more republic than royalist overall... then all sorts of weird and wonderful theories for this started to emerge. :smile:

Dave and Fat pom - i've really enjoyed reading your replies to this, interesting to learn that alot of the poms were for a republic last time. I do find it interesting that we celebrate the queens birthday here with a public holiday - but the 'nation' in the UK don't get a day off to 'celebrate' - If we became a republic do you think we'd lose the PH - if they had a volte on that it may get a different outcome lol

Ali

Guest fatpom
Dave and Fat pom - i've really enjoyed reading your replies to this, interesting to learn that alot of the poms were for a republic last time. I do find it interesting that we celebrate the queens birthday here with a public holiday - but the 'nation' in the UK don't get a day off to 'celebrate' - If we became a republic do you think we'd lose the PH - if they had a vote on that it may get a different outcome lol

Ali

I think you're right on the money there!!!! :biglaugh:

I'd be very surprised if the republicans haven't already covered that corner.

Perhaps we'd have the GG's official birthday holiday. How about the last Friday in each month???? That would swing the referendum. :biglaugh:

Guest Dave53

Perhaps we'd have the GG's official birthday holiday. How about the last Friday in each month???? That would swing the referendum. :biglaugh:

Even better ,what about the last Friday every week ... Now you're talkin':yes:

Dave

Guest fatpom
Even better ,what about the last Friday every week ... Now you're talkin':yes:

Dave

:biglaugh:

I'd vote for Mugabe as leader of Australia with that kind of deal... Hmmm, well maybe not quite, but tempting?

Guest roantreemj

yes.i am a brit and a republican also,,it strikes me as very odd in this day and age that we in britain are not citizens,,but subjects of the crown,,also we have no written constitution and even worse if someone dies with and has an estate but no traceable relatives,,,the estate goes to the crown,,,if you ask me britain should be a republic also,,,i think monarchy is outdated ,elitist and a downright waste of money resources and energy

Archived