Getting a mobile phone in Oz

miw54

Just asking for advice re: getting set up with a mobile phone when we arrive in Australia. As we are travelling a bit first we wont have a residential address although we have relatives over there who are residents. We thought we might just buy a PAYG initially as we don't want to undertake any contracts until we are settled. However, I seem to recall, the last time we did this, we still needed a residential address and also the tariff was awful - the money seemed to be eaten up even when we weren't using it. Alternatively does anyone know if there is a way you can use your UK smartphone in Australia ? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:unsure:

As long as your UK phone is unlocked and you get the correct sim (Micro etc) it will work. I just walked in and bought a PAYG sim card over the counter, no questions asked.

If you buy a phone in Australia they're all unlocked as it's against the law to lock a phone to a certain network.

Just asking for advice re: getting set up with a mobile phone when we arrive in Australia. As we are travelling a bit first we wont have a residential address although we have relatives over there who are residents. We thought we might just buy a PAYG initially as we don't want to undertake any contracts until we are settled. However, I seem to recall, the last time we did this, we still needed a residential address and also the tariff was awful - the money seemed to be eaten up even when we weren't using it. Alternatively does anyone know if there is a way you can use your UK smartphone in Australia ? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:unsure:

When We came a few months ago, 3 in the UK was doing a scheme called 'feel at home' which meant that for GBP 15 per month on PAYG, you got a load of calls texts and data to use in Australia it only worked for 3 months however, then you drop back down, and I don't believe you can use to to call the UK while out here. Just make sure you have 3 x GBP15 of credit (plus a little bit extra in case it expires and you burn money by forgetting to buy another month of the 'feel at home' pack. ) Also make sure your handset is unlocked, UK phones work fine here.

Once I got set up, I got an Optus PAYG, as for $30 every 28 days, it gives some data, some calls (including to UK landlines, which is a nice bonus to have a quick chat to the folks!) and unlimited local texts. It works quite well for us. Coverage is OK, apparently telstra have better coverage all in but Optus covers me in Sydney and surrounds which is where I live so works for me!

As long as your UK phone is unlocked and you get the correct sim (Micro etc) it will work. I just walked in and bought a PAYG sim card over the counter, no questions asked.

If you buy a phone in Australia they're all unlocked as it's against the law to lock a phone to a certain network.

Has this changed? I've had a couple of phones here which have been locked and I've had to go

to them to unlock them.

Has this changed? I've had a couple of phones here which have been locked and I've had to go

to them to unlock them.

Not heard of this either and my mifi dongle was locked to telstra. it's illegal for them not to agree to unlock after the contract has ended, but that is often 2 years after purchase!

Archived