UK Police Check

Movetoaus

This has to be the dumbest application I've ever seen. Its run by the Association of Chief Police Officers. They want double the price of the police check in Australia, they have no online process, they require a bank draft which will cost another $25 and they have a page of jobs that they feel make a person honest enough to be able to just sign the back of a frickin photo to say its actually you! And that person has to have known you for 2 years!

Where do they get these limits from? Its typical British bureaucracy that made Britain the sh it hole its become. I don't have a criminal record in the UK, but this form makes me want to fly back there just to get one!

Gosh, I am shocked to read this - I thought Australia had exclusivity when it came to excessive pricing. TBH police certificates are a one time cost and it provides absolutely no benefit to the UK, not surprised they want to charge more for it.

Gosh, I am shocked to read this - I thought Australia had exclusivity when it came to excessive pricing. TBH police certificates are a one time cost and it provides absolutely no benefit to the UK, not surprised they want to charge more for it.

I can't figure out what you mean. What's a TBH? and why does it mean they want to charge more for it?

Tell me about it! I am a teacher and work in QLD and the Uk on supply when I go home. I fully understand the need for a Police check from the country where you have lived and worked but the DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check in the UK applies to everyone and you have to pay for it even if you have never set foot in the country all your life.

TBH means To Be Honest. And they probably charge more so that the fat cat Chief Police Association members are kept fat........

Ah ok thanks on the TBH. Yeah it's an odd association to be in charge of giving out these certificates. I'd imagine all it is is a couple of clicks on their database, bung it in a envelope and job done. What a extortion racket, and they are supposed to be catching the crooks!

What really got me was the list of occupations that you had to choose from to qualify being an honest person to verify your picture. Surely that is discrimination?

Discriminating against who? Typically the occupations are those that are governed by some code of ethics (e.g. Law Society, Accounting Society, Engineering Society, etc.) whereby the members commit to upholding certain standards, so they take advantage of that. It's no different in Australia or Canada and undoubtedly a lot of other countries.

Discriminating against who? Typically the occupations are those that are governed by some code of ethics (e.g. Law Society, Accounting Society, Engineering Society, etc.) whereby the members commit to upholding certain standards, so they take advantage of that. It's no different in Australia or Canada and undoubtedly a lot of other countries.

It's discriminating against anybody that doesn't hold a job on that list. There are plenty of disbarred doctors and lawyers, bankers etc yet they are seen as honest. Just because someone sweeps a road for a living they are not. It's a typical standard of the UK where you have to be in a certain social circle to be deemed worthy. And no it's not the same in Australia. If I wanted a photo endorsed here, I just go to a justice of the peace and they sign it for free and no one asks or cares what their other job is.

You can do bank transfer to avoid extra charges, check this link:

http://www.acro.police.uk/Payment_Methods/

I don't understand why you have to fly back for this form. It clearly states: 'If you are living in a country in which you have not known a suitable individual for at least two years, you will need to send this page and your photograph to someone who has known you for two years to be signed. This individual can be of any nationality/reside anywhere in the world and you do not need to be present when the photograph is signed'

Aussie Girl Bay

This has to be the dumbest application I've ever seen. Its run by the Association of Chief Police Officers. They want double the price of the police check in Australia, they have no online process, they require a bank draft which will cost another $25 and they have a page of jobs that they feel make a person honest enough to be able to just sign the back of a frickin photo to say its actually you! And that person has to have known you for 2 years!

Where do they get these limits from? Its typical British bureaucracy that made Britain the sh it hole its become. I don't have a criminal record in the UK, but this form makes me want to fly back there just to get one!

It's discriminating against anybody that doesn't hold a job on that list. There are plenty of disbarred doctors and lawyers, bankers etc yet they are seen as honest. Just because someone sweeps a road for a living they are not. It's a typical standard of the UK where you have to be in a certain social circle to be deemed worthy. And no it's not the same in Australia. If I wanted a photo endorsed here, I just go to a justice of the peace and they sign it for free and no one asks or cares what their other job is.

I agree there are dodgy lawyers, bankers, etc. and very upstanding road sweepers. But they've chosen to go down the path of having certain occupations authorized to sign your photo.

You're correct that in Australia, a JP's day job can be any occupation. However, they must sign a code of conduct to hold the role of JP (in addition to undergoing police and credit checks, etc. as part of the application process). And if you complete a stat dec, it must be signed by someone on a select list of occupations (doctor, pharmacist, bailiff, court officer, etc.). To submit my Medicare Exemption application, I needed to get it signed by someone on a select list of occupations. So it's a common enough system.

I feel your pain, I've been down similar in getting my paperwork for 457 and then 186 visas.

But they've chosen to go down the path of having certain occupations authorized to sign your photo.

Yes I know, that's my whole point of this thread. That they have set certain occupations above others, for no other reason than their own preconceived (and entirely wrong) idea's of who makes an honest person, based solely on what they do for a living.

Some of the other occupations are just laughable.

You can do bank transfer to avoid extra charges, check this link:

http://www.acro.police.uk/Payment_Methods/

I don't understand why you have to fly back for this form. It clearly states: 'If you are living in a country in which you have not known a suitable individual for at least two years, you will need to send this page and your photograph to someone who has known you for two years to be signed. This individual can be of any nationality/reside anywhere in the world and you do not need to be present when the photograph is signed'

Aussie Girl Bay

last time I checked and sent money international through a bank it cost....strangely the same as a bank draft $25 and takes over a week to clear because they hold it to collect the interest. The link you sent shows some dubious instructions on doing a bank transfer with them. Unlike most business that just give you their routing numbers and other bank details, they ask that you send them a secret email with all your details and then they will send you theirs! So what, maybe after a month you might be able to have the pleasure of sending them a transfer that will still cost you.

I think you have miss read what I wrote. but this form makes me WANT to fly back there

I don't have to fly back, I was saying, I'd like to fly back and commit a criminal offence on these *****, just to have a record worth going through all this damn trouble to get!! :)

Guest The Pom Queen
last time I checked and sent money international through a bank it cost....strangely the same as a bank draft $25 and takes over a week to clear because they hold it to collect the interest. The link you sent shows some dubious instructions on doing a bank transfer with them. Unlike most business that just give you their routing numbers and other bank details, they ask that you send them a secret email with all your details and then they will send you theirs! So what, maybe after a month you might be able to have the pleasure of sending them a transfer that will still cost you.

I think you have miss read what I wrote. but this form makes me WANT to fly back there

I don't have to fly back, I was saying, I'd like to fly back and commit a criminal offence on these *****, just to have a record worth going through all this damn trouble to get!! :)

If you continue with your defamatory comments you may just end up with one :wink:

If you continue with your defamatory comments you may just end up with one :wink:

Honestly, that's twice you've rolled out that ridiculous threat against me. If you knew anything about the law you'd get off it and maybe throw something more intelligent into the conversation. :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
Honestly, that's twice you've rolled out that ridiculous threat against me. If you knew anything about the law you'd get off it and maybe throw something more intelligent into the conversation. :wink:

Your statement that Salvation Army workers bugger our children is defamatory. I wasn't threatening you at all I was just making you aware that your comments could easily get you in to trouble. Twice? I've only posted once, anyway as this thread is obviously getting you in a hissy fit I will close it

Archived