Migration Issues

Sammy77

Hi everyone, I hope you can help :smile:. We have just received an email from a migration agent asking for relevant information. Two questions I have are 1) After tipping my house upside down I appear to have lost my hubby's NVQ certificate for bricklaying, I am going to try and get a replacement but the company he did his apprenticeship with, is no longer around and it was nearly 20 years ago! If we cant get it, is it the end of the road already??

Second question relates to criminal record, when my hubby ws 14/15 him and a couple of friends were taken to the police station by the local 'bobby' after they were in possession of 1 spliff, he never went to court but will this show on his record?

Thanks Lisa x

Second question relates to criminal record,

You must declare the criminal record (if it never went to court is it actually a record?) but immigration have little interest in non-custodial sentences.

I suggest you get hubbie a police check now (costs very little) to see if he actually has a record because I reckon he hasn't.

BB

Is there any way that you can find the qualifying body for the nvq? If so contact them with the year and name and they should have a copy that you can buy. Failing that Google the qualification and year and you may find out.

As for the police thing there should be no trace, as your oh was a minor at the time and any conviction will have been spent.

I believe even spent convictions show up on the immigration police check. Sounds more like a slap on the wrist than a conviction though.

Spent minor convictions do get "weeded" after a few years, and no longer appear on police checks. As this apparently never went to court I suspect that there is no formal record of it.

BB

Spent minor convictions do get "weeded" after a few years, and no longer appear on police checks. As this apparently never went to court I suspect that there is no formal record of it.

BB

Juvenile ones I'm not sure about, but there have been plenty a person caught out on here as they didn't declare convictions because they were over ten years old and they had not thought they would show up. It's a different check than ones where you are going for a job etc.

On the police check for immigration - spent convictions usually come back as 'no live trace'. As someone said, it is a different police check for migration than for job clearance. Many people on the forum over the years have been caught out by this and believing a conviction spent have answered 'no' on their application regarding convictions, only for their check to come up as 'no live trace'.

Hi Lisa

We had the same problem, my partner had lost his certificates & the college had closed down. He thought he had City & guilds certificates so we contacted them directly and paid for new ones, however they came back they did not have copies nor any record of my partner. We thought we were beat before we even started so I got him to go onto facebook to search for people who he went to college with (18 years ago) he happened to find someone who advised him that they were city & guilds with CSKILLS. I contacted the awarding body CSkills and they had them and were absolutley brilliant to deal with, sent us confirmation they knew the college had shut down & also a full copy of the syllabus (100's of pages long) so definatley try the awarding body, if you can find out who it was :wink:

good luck

Archived