SPARKY almost ready to move, need advice PLEASE!

Matthand20

Hi there, im 29 and have travelled to oz twice now, spending a month the first time and a year the second and my partner and I decided a while back to try and make the move permanent, I've got a visa/emigration company dealing with my case and am about to sit my vetassess exam to have my sparky quals recognised in oz and I've now turned my attention as to where we're actually gonna go! We lived in manly/Sydney for a large portion of our year in oz and although we loved it there I realise it may be a tad too expensive to move there permanently, we don't own a house in the uk and will be arriving with around £10000 to start our new life so I would like to hit the ground running with work.

ive heard that the Perth area is our best bet for work, is there any truth to that and are there any expat sparks there who can shed a little light on the work situation there, I've searched jobs and although I get a lot of results a lot of the advertisements are asking for cards and things that I'm not sure of - also any sparks have any good job boards/websites I should be looking at, I really want to make this work and don't want to let my partner down so I need to know what I'm up against, cheers.

Hi there, im 29 and have travelled to oz twice now, spending a month the first time and a year the second and my partner and I decided a while back to try and make the move permanent, I've got a visa/emigration company dealing with my case and am about to sit my vetassess exam to have my sparky quals recognised in oz and I've now turned my attention as to where we're actually gonna go! We lived in manly/Sydney for a large portion of our year in oz and although we loved it there I realise it may be a tad too expensive to move there permanently, we don't own a house in the uk and will be arriving with around £10000 to start our new life so I would like to hit the ground running with work.

ive heard that the Perth area is our best bet for work, is there any truth to that and are there any expat sparks there who can shed a little light on the work situation there, I've searched jobs and although I get a lot of results a lot of the advertisements are asking for cards and things that I'm not sure of - also any sparks have any good job boards/websites I should be looking at, I really want to make this work and don't want to let my partner down so I need to know what I'm up against, cheers.

Type in the search box on here"Elecricians" and it will bring up some threads on here that may help you.

There are a lot of threads on electricians. The big thing you need to be aware of is that your qualifications don't mean much here and you need to get Australian ones. This will mean working as a trade assistant for a period of time (like an apprentice) and some college work. Your visa company should be able to advise on what will be required and it varies by state.

I'm just going to check and ask that you've researched your migration agent, that they are MARA registered and reputable?

Ive gone with 'go Matilda' and yeah they're a reputable company I read the horror stories before I chose and chose wisely! Thanks

and regarding me having to be a sparkys mate etc.. I'm doing my exam in England to get my Aussie quals so I should be fine there, I was more wondering about work specifically, I don't want to get there and struggle Id like to get some knowledge of the work situation before I go, thanks for the answers too guys, this is my first time using this and I've had some fast responses there!

I really dont think whatever your doing in England will give you an Australian licence, it will give you an OSTR probably which will allow you to apply for a supervised licence, then you will have to do whatever is required in the state you are going to, they all have different requirements and it could mean going back to college or working supervised for up to a year, so I would look into it further.

Ive gone with 'go Matilda' and yeah they're a reputable company I read the horror stories before I chose and chose wisely! Thanks

and regarding me having to be a sparkys mate etc.. I'm doing my exam in England to get my Aussie quals so I should be fine there, I was more wondering about work specifically, I don't want to get there and struggle Id like to get some knowledge of the work situation before I go, thanks for the answers too guys, this is my first time using this and I've had some fast responses there!

Once you have the relevant bits of paper you should be fine mate. My son and a few of his friends are sparkies. None of them out of work and most of the doing FIFO by choice. One moved into sales, off the tools for about a year, got laid off from his sales position and was back on FIFO, 7 days on 7 off inside a couple of weeks. He thought he would struggle too as he had been off the tools for a while.

My son is looking to change jobs at the moment and has decided to do the instrumentation course, it gives him another string to his bow and might lead to more interesting work. He has to pay for the course but he can claim most of it back via his tax bill. Seems to be a fir amount of work out there for sparkies.

Archived