Has anyone moved from Melbourne down to the Peninsula?

claregreen

Hi all.

This is our 2nd stint in Melbourne - staying for good this time and waiting for PR as we speak. We have always lived in Bayside but after nearly 3 years we are struggling to make ends meet. It is so expensive and makes us question whether we get all of those "living the dream" boxes ticked. We pay through the nose for a crappy house to rent - the amount we pay in rent could pay a mortgage in Mount Eliza for something amazing - a real "living the dream house". Has anyone made the move for these reasons? Can anyone advise on the the differences in schooling / facilities / sports for my 3 boys aged 6, 10 and 13. My husband would have to commute at least 4 days per week. Also the boys are adamant they do not want to move again - the guilt's have set in already! Thank you everyone.

I moved to the Peninsula 28 years ago with my two children, it was a lot more rural then and we thought we would move back towards the city when the children were older. We never moved back as its the place to live. I live on the Westernport side my children went to primary school, private high school and then on to university all from the Peninsula and they were both well into their twenties when they finally moved on. They still come back as a lot of their peers and friends still live here and they feel they belong here.

We live in Somerville which has four supermarkets, upteen doctors, dentists, eye places, chiros, physios everything we want. Also we have the added bonus of being on the train line to Stony Point which is great for the kids when they get older. Our children played sport, and were involved in all sorts of things and they both say it was the best place to grow up.

I do not want to move and certainly would not move to Mount Eliza, Mornington or Mount Martha as they are way too busy and they do not have the train and they are too citified. Give me the westernport country folk they are ace and don't try to run down people or get het up and impatient like the city folk over the way lol

Why does every call it the peninsula.

It is just a peninsula.

There are others you know.

Because its always been known that way and its just the one to be on, Portsea, Sorrento, Shoreham, Flinders old money and that is what they call it. Sorry but the other Peninsula has always been known as Bellarine

Thank you Petals for your advice. It will probably be Mount Eliza for us - I have been looking at schools and we will be choosing a non religious state school. As we need a primary and secondary it looks like mount eliza north and mount erin would be a good choice. My son is on the SEAL program here in Brighton and Mount Erin also runs the SEAL program. Do you know much about either of these schools? Their website, location, size and facilities all look good! Thanks, Clare x

I can only echo Petals, we love the peninsula.

Although our kids are only 6 and 3.

We rarely go into Melbourne, the closest we get is the visit every few months to Moorabbin to see my grandparents.

Every time we go (today being the most recent) we think it is too busy and too bloody expensive.

The house next door to them, on a back street is up for 2.1 million. How can a family earning $150k per year afford that?

I would urge caution. The commute to the CBD is going to be long, I know, I am commuting from Geelong to the inner suburbs of Melbourne every day. Its 15 hours a week, thats a lot of lots time for family or personal things. Thankfully I have just landed a job 5mins from home, back home by 5:30 in Torquay on the beach in summer at 6 :)

Thank you Petals for your advice. It will probably be Mount Eliza for us - I have been looking at schools and we will be choosing a non religious state school. As we need a primary and secondary it looks like mount eliza north and mount erin would be a good choice. My son is on the SEAL program here in Brighton and Mount Erin also runs the SEAL program. Do you know much about either of these schools? Their website, location, size and facilities all look good! Thanks, Clare x

Are you talking about actual Mount Eliza, or Frankston South, its boundary is Humphreys Road. Mount Erin is a high school in Frankston South and it is ok as far as I know. Most people opt for living in South Frankston to be able to send their children to Frankston High which is more desirable. Derinya is a nice primary in Frankston South as well. You do have to be in the zone for Frankston High. Mount Erin is over the other side of South Frankston and there are quite a lot of nice estates around it as well. There are also a lot of primary schools over that way as well and its next to the freeway too.

If you moved to Mount Eliza proper its nice, I go there a lot but I am older and a lot of the people seen around the village re my vintage. Its not a particularly good shopping centre probably have to go to Frankston or Mornington to shop. Houses are very expensive there on an equivalent I would say with inner Melbourne.

South Frankston has a lot of very expensive housing as well.

If your oh is going to be commuting then South Frankston or over near Mount Erin would be the go, South Frankston for proximity to the station and over near Mount Erin, Lakewood, Tahnee Lodge for the new freeway.

I would urge caution. The commute to the CBD is going to be long, I know, I am commuting from Geelong to the inner suburbs of Melbourne every day. Its 15 hours a week, thats a lot of lots time for family or personal things. Thankfully I have just landed a job 5mins from home, back home by 5:30 in Torquay on the beach in summer at 6 :)

Well done, sounds good - having said that I am home in Geelong by 5.30 after commuting from Melbourne CBD (4.37 from Southern X, arrives N Geelong 5.24).

Hi - we are looking at rentals in Mount Eliza.... i know the commute is going to be long(ish) but I am lucky enough to work from home a couple of days a week and some flexibility in office hours. After talking about it for the last year we think it is worth the travel. I cycle or train into work from Newport to South Melbourne and it take approx 50 mins, so looking to keep up my middle aged cycling addiction :-) by biking to Frankston then getting off with around 10km-15km to go and cycling the rest of the way. I am trying to view it as a 1 hour bike ride with a train journey in between! I also work on customer sites a lot and most of these have been based around Monash, Camberwell, Chadstone so the commute from the West has been a long one.

I don't know if we are just "old fashioned", but I don't fancy the idea of our kids (currently 6 & 9) having to get two trains across the CBD when they go to high school. Indeed i still have some difficulty with the obsession with going to the "right" high school, parents enrolling their kids before they start Kinder is bizarre!

Mt Eliza is nice enough, but nothing special in my opinion.

My kids live there and go to Mount Eliza Secondary College.

I wouldn't live there and commute to Melbourne.

Much rather live closer in and drive to the beach when desired.

I'm not saying it isn't a nice area but no better than other leafy Melbourne suburbs a lot closer to the city.

• 4 years later...

Melbourne is the main source of new comers to the area. As commuters become more adaptably to a longer commute and the rise of working from home, the Mornington Peninsula is fast becoming apart of Melbourne. The new Mordialloc Freeway is also set to make commuting to the area more than 10-15mins quicker making the area that much more desirable. For families Mt Eliza has the most high performing and quality schools and is the most liveable suburb on the peninsula.