Homesick already!

MelbourneTractor

Not sure it's really possible to become "an Aussie". Australia makes it easier than most countries to integrate, and I think it handles immigration better than anywhere else, and also Brits and Aussies are extremely close in outlook, but still I'm not sure you can become an "Aussie" any more than an Australian can become an "Englishman". You can acquire the passport, but that is not the same thing as becoming culturally "one" with those born and bred here. There are fundamental differences in outlook and expectation. I've lived here a long time and also wen to school in Australia as well, and I'm a proud Australian but culturally there is always a slight dissonance, if you see what I mean. All good though. Australia is a great country.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen
I get why aussies use the word but when ENGLISH people call other ENGLISH people a pom or even worse refer to themselves as one thats was makes me cringe!

Oops, I must be one of those who annoy you. I call myself a pom and call other expats poms to me it just comes naturally. Mind you I think I am the only one who would wear the bogan singlet that got banned in Cairns as well lol.

Oops, I must be one of those who annoy you. I call myself a pom and call other expats poms to me it just comes naturally. Mind you I think I am the only one who would wear the bogan singlet that got banned in Cairns as well lol.

Ha yes i guess you would!

Do you mean vest? :wink:

You are 100% right I dont want to be an aussie....mainly because im not/cant.

I live in Australia but I dont want to be nor pretend to be one.

I am happy being english in Australia. I dont have many beliefs but staying true to your roots is one I do strongly believe in.

You are also right with thongs....they are flip flops, just like football isnt soccer and crisps arent chips!

Spot on, to many plastic Aussies who knock everything about the UK, they are Brits and always will be.

Spot on, to many plastic Aussies who knock everything about the UK, they are Brits and always will be.

I don't knock the UK, and I don't consider myself to be a 'plastic aussie', but I don't have a great sense of being British either. I'm an English woman living in Australia with an Australian passport - and that's how it is.

why? because they suffer in the heat and prefer a more temperate climate.....get over yourself.

Nah, not really - just funny seeing someone moan about getting sunburnt over here is all.... Plenty to moan about but a morbid fear of getting burnt doesnt rate high. Drivers, price of beer, boguns, house prices, toll roads, mega heat in the summer yeah. Sunburn, no. Is Phil Spencer telling everyone that the ozone has been fixed now along with the streets being paved with gold? hahahahahahh

I sign off my texts to the group of lads I ride dirt bikes with as 'pommy <name>'. Who cares.

The word in general annoys me but when it is used by an english person either refering to other english people or refering to themselves its just annoying/cringy.

Do "scousers" and "brummies" refer to each other as "scousers" and brummies then?

I am called 'pommy <name>' to all the lads I ride with.......

Ive never said anyone cant use it so feel free to pretend to be an aussie.

Funnily enough I dont use G'day, I say hello....I must be mad!

Only been here 1 year and 3 months though so time will tell i guess.

Do you cheer for Australia against England? and refer to Australia as 'us' ?

Agreed, I don't say 'G'Day'. Tried it once and felt like a right turd.

Archived