Hi im new :)

stephieb

Hey all,

Myself and partner who is a carpenter are discussing moving to australia, we have 4 children age 14,11,3 and 5 months old. We have been told finding a sponsorship would be probably best way, does anyone have any tips where to start please :)

Many thanks

Steph xx

Welcome StephieB,

I don't think sponsorship would be the best way forward with all the kids, because you won't get financial help and you'll have to pay school fees, which vary I think from state to state. I think you should check out skilled migration first before sponsorship but I'm not an expert.

I'm assuming by sponsorship you mean a 457 visa? Personally, I don't think that the upheaval would be worth it for the kids on such a tenuous visa when you could (potentially) have to leave the country at short notice.

I don't want to be negative or rain on your parade, I just think that you should explore other options first and leave a 457 as a last resort xx

My hubby is a carpenter and we have been accepted for a 189 skilled independent visa. I really wouldn't risk going on a employer sponsored visa, we looked at this and to be honest I doubt you would get sponsership anyway. I would recommend using an agent too, ours was fantastic, I don't think we could of done it with out them, we used a company called immigration2oz ask for Jon he's the director, he was very helpful. If you need any more advise I'll be happy to help. Jx

We are due to fly out in January :-) it took us 18mths! The main reason for that length of time was the ielts test as my partner is dyslexic and had to get all 8's so took a few attempts ( Thank god I didn't have to sit it as I'm worse than him lol) Also we were both flat out at work. Have you applied yet? How old is your partner? My partner is over 40 and had to get a really high score in his ielts. I would advise to try a mock test first and see how you do. :-) what do you do for a living? Jx

Hi stephieb,

Seems like we have a lot in common my hubby and I are 36 have 4 children ( all boys!) and are looking to emigrate to oz. We are in the early stages of applying for our 189 permanent residancy visa. Hubby has his Ielts test on the on the 18th and is also dyslexic.

We also found the whole were do we start?? thing difficult. Hubby got lots of useful advice from the lovely people on here, we also spoke to a few migration agents and visited a seminar. After a lot of research we bit the bullet and assigned a migration agent in August. We were told a 189 was definitely the safest and best option with having 4 children as we will be entitled to medicare, no school fees and child benefit.

Good luck with your decision.

Kelly x

Hi! I'm thinking of moving to Australia next year after I finish uni! I'm currently on track for a 2.1 degree and I have experience do yous think it'll be hard for me to move out here ?

What is your degree and what is your experience? That really makes all the difference as to whether you qualify for a visa.

Have you considered a working holiday visa? If you are under the age of 30 it will give you an introduction to the country and the chance to work as well.

I turn 21 next month, I'm currently studying English Literature so I aim to go in PR once I graduate next May, and I have experience of working in Cosmetics. I'm just torn about where to go in Australia plus I was also torn about whether to go to America as I have distant family out there or to Australia but I think I'm leaning more towards Australia.

I turn 21 next month, I'm currently studying English Literature so I aim to go in PR once I graduate next May, and I have experience of working in Cosmetics. I'm just torn about where to go in Australia plus I was also torn about whether to go to America as I have distant family out there or to Australia but I think I'm leaning more towards Australia.

Your only option is a working holiday visa then, as an English Literature Degree and cosmetics experience will not make you eligible for any other kind of visa (unless you already have PR through family or Australian citizenship).

It gives you the opportunity to live and work for up two years, as long as you do three months regional work in the first year.

Hi stephieb,

Seems like we have a lot in common my hubby and I are 36 have 4 children ( all boys!) and are looking to emigrate to oz. We are in the early stages of applying for our 189 permanent residancy visa. Hubby has his Ielts test on the on the 18th and is also dyslexic.

We also found the whole were do we start?? thing difficult. Hubby got lots of useful advice from the lovely people on here, we also spoke to a few migration agents and visited a seminar. After a lot of research we bit the bullet and assigned a migration agent in August. We were told a 189 was definitely the safest and best option with having 4 children as we will be entitled to medicare, no school fees and child benefit.

Good luck with your decision.

Kelly x

Hey there!

Where r u from in uk? X

Hi

My hubby is a joiner and we've recently been granted our 189 permanent visa. I would definitely suggest you investigate the 189 skilled visa over an employer sponsored temp visa. The school fees you have to pay if on a temp visa would be a lot and the risk of having to leave again at short notice is not ideal when children are involved.

I would suggest your starting point should be to read as much as possible on http://www.immi.gov.uk and carry out a few searches on here to gain a basic understanding of the points test and what you need to do. IELTS is sometimes needed to bump the points up, then there's the skill assessment and lodging an expression of interest before receiving an invitation to apply for a visa. Once you've lodged your visa application its medicals and police checks.

Once you feel like you have an idea of the process give an agent a call. I spoke to Go Matilda who talked through my personal circumstances and discussed strategies. My initial telephone consultation was free so it's well worth doing and it confirmed I hadn't missed anything important. Everyone's different but after reading lots of info and posting plenty of questions on here I felt more than able to do the entire process without an agent, saving us a few thousand pounds. Although my hubby had to re-sit the IELTS a couple of times we were able to get our visa within 6 months! It's daunting at times but as long as you're methodical and thorough I don't think it's too difficult. In my thinking even with an agent you still have to do the same tests and obtain the same evidence etc.

If there's any questions I can help with feel free to ask

Good luck xx

• 1 month later...
Did you then do it alone ?

Hi,

We (wife and I) have done the application ourselves. Honestly it's quiet straight forward. Assuming you haven't started the application yet. If you require help, let me know. You can save money by not having an agent or if you can afford it then they can direct you. The processing time would be the same if you done it yourself or if the agent processed it.

Good luck and keep us posted what you decide on

Def want to save money if we can! Not cheap when theres 4 kids visa's too. It is getting everythibg in the correct order etc

Has your hubby got any certificates in his trade. These will really help alongside with his experience. Also is he employed or self employed? You will need to collect all the documents for his skills to be assessed. once you send the documents off to TRA to be assessed he can work on the IELTS and try and get as higher mark as possible (try aiming for 7+. 6 is the pass mark but it doesn't give you any points). Once you have passed the IELTS and the skills assessment you will be able to lodge your EOI. This is your initial starting point. Hope this helps

Archived