visa 190 rejected but offered 489 visa can someone help

Laurajwirral

hi guys I've just received a email to say my 190 visa has been rejected even though i meet all the criteria and this will not be considered again but northern territory have now offered me a 489 visa , is anyone else on this visa who can break it down into layman terms for me as I'm confused as to what this visa allows be to do , thanks for your help .

laura x

hi

NT won't allow be to have the 190 visa now, i will copy the email and show you what they said I've waited 8 weeks for this reply to and now I've got 28 days to say yes before they close the doors on me for good so I'm confused .

I am emailing you to let you know that NT Government got back to us with feedback. We have received an e-mail from NT state, advising that you were not been successful for Northern Territory (NT) Government sponsorship under the Skilled-Nominated (Permanent) (Subclass 190) visa scheme. However they advise that they can offer sponsorship under the Skilled-Regional Nominated (Provisional) (Subclass 489) visa scheme. This decision was made by the case officer, based on the documents and information provided by you and the decision will not be re-considered under any circumstance.

It is strange as you are meeting all of their requirements, however I guess they want you to be tide up with the state with the 489 visa as under the 489 visa you have to live and work in NT for 2 years and you’d be allowed to switch to permanent residency after these 2 years. The process is exactly the same and the cost is exactly the same as it is for the skilled migration visa. The only difference is that the 489 is a temporary visa giving you the right to switch to pr after 2 years spent in NT.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Laura

We had exactly the same happen to us. Our migration agent thought it was something to do with ensuring we were committed to staying in NT as oppose to just using it as a stepping stone to get over here and then moving on to another state. We arrived on the 7th of October and are settling in well its pretty hot and quite humid but bearable. We have our medicare cards and are entitled to basic healthcare as the UK have a reciprocal agreement with Australia. As you stated once you have lived within the state for 2 years and worked for a minimum of 12 months you can apply for an 887 visa which would then allow you to live and work any where in oz. I came over as a printer but there is not much available at the moment so following a discussion with the NT skilled migration office I was told i could take alternative work and it would not affect my future application for PR.

So if your intention was to remain in NT then you have not lost out - just get yourself over its great !!!!

Hope thats helped

Mcshadders

We have been offered the same. Had the 190 declined but offered us the 489. This was mainly as we don't have any links to NT. (No family/friends/job offers etc)

We are going for it as its our only option! Glad to hear about the Medicare cards though, did you take out other health insurance as well?

Sam

Hi,

No we haven't taken any other health cover at the moment. Both my wife and I are in good health and the reciprocal agreement covers basic health care. We have been advised to take out ambulance cover and a sort of hospital fund with medibank that would allow us to claim back 70% of the fee for any dental work or eye care. I had an issue with a filling just after we arrived and it cost $430.00 to put it right. So definitely worth considering.

Mcshadders

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys

Does anybody know how long it might take to get the 887 once you have done your 2 years in NT?

Thanks!!!

887 applications are currently taking about 5 months to be allocated to Case Officers and then they begin processing. Processing for applicants from low risk countries can be expected to take another couple of months if there are no problems but high risk applicants can expect it to take longer.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.aspx Allocation dates

I feel sorry for you. Seems to me DIPB has closed another loophole as many migrants apply for PR, jumping ship and settle in another state than NT?

Hm, in any case like said before it does definitely not include the same costs, as no unemployment benefits after 2 years, very limited medicare and if you've kids no child support child tax benefit payments as well! In some states - I don't know about NT - 489 visa holders with children have to pay school fees, a quite considerable amout of money.

Besides that, you're not eligible for any kind of first home owner grants as only PR's and citizens will get it in case you're planning to buy or build a house after 1 year or so.

If you want to come to Australia living the dream and that doesn't putt you off I would accept the alternative. But it's better to make an informed choice than rather taking the email of the NT public servants for granted.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Mcshadders

Your information is very useful. I also have a 489 visa and just arrived in Darwin. My nominated job is Restaurant Manager but it seems hard to find a managerial position as a new guy here. I saw you was a printer but you can take alternative work after you discussed with the NT Skilled migration office. It won't affect your future application for PR (887 visa). I also have same situation as you. Some migration agent told me I have to do a closed related job which I was nominated, but some agent told me that I can do any job. I am confused and I checked immi.gov.au that it doesn't mention anything about the limitation of the job. So are you sure that can apply PR if you don't work as a printer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mc Shadders,

This is great information seeing as we have just accepted the same visa. I was wondering you could recommend any names of self catering, furnished accommodation in Darwin for the first 4 or 5 weeks when we arrive. We are coming with our 3 year old son, so its important that we have a base to make the transition easier for him. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheva

Guest Chewitts
Forgotten to mention as a 489 visa holder you'll need some sort of 'government permission' to buy a house in Australia.

If you are buying the house to actually live in the FIRB (government permission) is pretty much just a formality

• 4 months later...

Hi

I came on the older version of the 489. After 1 year working you could apply for a 189 because you will have 1 year Australian work experience (5 extra points). Extra cost but I found the flexibility and offered outweighed the extra spend. You will get reciprocal Medicare so health is covered. But for Centrelink you need to spend two years as a permanent resident. My son has to wait another year and half for youth allowance even though we have been here two and a half years.

Also, you would be entitled to the first home owner's grant and partial concession for stamp duty which would more than cancel out the additional visa cost.

Hi, Mcshadders

Your information is very useful. I also have a 489 visa and just arrived in Darwin. My nominated job is Restaurant Manager but it seems hard to find a managerial position as a new guy here. I saw you was a printer but you can take alternative work after you discussed with the NT Skilled migration office. It won't affect your future application for PR (887 visa). I also have same situation as you. Some migration agent told me I have to do a closed related job which I was nominated, but some agent told me that I can do any job. I am confused and I checked immi.gov.au that it doesn't mention anything about the limitation of the job. So are you sure that can apply PR if you don't work as a printer.

you can do any job as long as it is the equivalent of 1 year full time

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Laura,

I have just had my positive skills assessment come through today and our agents will be asking Queensland to nominate/invite me in the next week or two via the EOI. I am now quite worried about being refused the 190 visa as I thought, if you met the criteria, you would have got it. Did they not give you any reason for this decision? What is your profession if you don't mind me asking? I just cannot get my head around this. I am up against time as I am 45 on 15th August this year and will need those points to meet the points test. Although we are on schedule for lodging the visa in enough time, I cannot afford it not to go through, as if they say the same to me, I will probably be too old for the points to apply for another visa.

I already thought you had to commit to working and living in the state that nominates you for two years anyway. Very confused! And new to this site, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate the guidance.

Carolann