DavePoll (c) Do you like living in OZ? Why/Why Not? Would you go back for good if you could?

MARYROSE02

Do you like living in OZ?

The short answer is, of course, 'Yes'. The long answer is also 'yes' but it took me a bloody long time to reach the point where I can honestly say 'I have no desire whatsovever to return to England, not even for a holiday. I made frequent trips back to England to see my parents, as they did to Australia, culminating in a twelve-year stint when I actually returned to 'live' (as opposed to 'hoilday') in England. I did always intend to come back to Sydney eventually, and HMRC accepted that, whilst I was both resident and ordinary resident in the UK, I was domiciled in Australia.

Why do I like living in OZ?

I don't actually have a specific answer to this question. I sometimes make the distinction between people who 'LIVE' in a country, and those that 'HOLIDAY' there. People who 'live' in a country (in my perception!) don't have to list all the reasons why they like living there, although many will do, but the main point is, that they do 'live' there. Whereas people who 'holiday' in a country, may actually 'live' there too, but they are unsettled, constantly thinking of moving back, constantly comparing the two countries, as I did myself, in my own 'holiday' period, that lasted for eighteen years.

Today is a perfect example in NSW, QLD and the ACT in particular (as was last Saturday in VIC, SA, WA, TAS) to make a comparison between 'livers' and 'holidayers'! It's Grand Final Day in the NRL (GO BUNNIES!) For people who 'live' here and like NRL, it is THE most important day of the sporting calendar (maybe you have to throw in 'Origin' and the Melbourne Cup!)

But for people who 'holiday' here, and perhaps list football (soccer) as their favourite sport, they are scornful. '"Micky Mouse" Day, you can't honestly compare it to winning the EPL'. And it is the same with everything else, whether it is the food, the supermarkets, the (lack of) 'real' ie British 'Indian' restaurants, the pubs, the beer, the sausages. My God, I had (pork) sausages, mash and peas in the Shakespeare Hotel last night for $12.50 and I enjoyed it!

Would I go back for good?

The only reason I can think of for going back would be if my two brothers decided to return for good, although I do not see them that much, it is good to know they are there. Actually, if they were still living in the UK and one of them was ill, well, I probably would go. Apart from that, and with my parents now passed away, there is nothing there for me.

1-0 to the 'likers!'

But you left England in the middle of Beatlemania, just as the Swinging Sixties were taking off! Which Beatles' song was at the top of the charts in October, 1963? I'm guessing 'She Loves You?' Possibly 'I Want To Hold Your Hand?' (Maybe both at the same time?)

I checked my chart book - 'She Loves You' at the end of its first stint at No 1 for first week in October.

What did you like about it Bob? What was your first impression?

But you left England in the middle of Beatlemania, just as the Swinging Sixties were taking off! Which Beatles' song was at the top of the charts in October, 1963? I'm guessing 'She Loves You?' Possibly 'I Want To Hold Your Hand?' (Maybe both at the same time?)

I checked my chart book - 'She Loves You' at the end of its first stint at No 1 for first week in October.

What did you like about it Bob? What was your first impression?

Beatles song?? Both. A gang of us singing them when we all camped on Rotters ca Dec 1963.

Like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes, or, a revelation from the dirty grey of British Central Bradford. One felt freedom and the exciting, 'something good is coming'. And it has been happening ever since.

Cheers, Bobj.

A better question is if one can afford to stay in Oz and get the most out of life perhaps? Up in The Kimberley at the moment and though had a great company paid house in Derby, am paying a bomb staying in Broome. If not $200 would be an average price to stay in the hotel. In fact a gauge would be some of the comments from the Grey Nomads I engage in these parts as are a mind of info. Some by pass Broome saying the caravan parks are not Grey Nomad friendly with the rip off prices charged. Some have even said that others won't come across the border to WA dur to price gorging.

Got a lift to Perth within 2 months of landing in Australia. Never regretted that. One big adventure since then, parly.

Cheers, Bobj.

Of course the adventure wouldn't have stopped just been vastly different if in Swinging London from 66/67. Many Aussies found it more exciting that remaining in wowser conservative driven Aussie at the time.

Of course the adventure wouldn't have stopped just been vastly different if in Swinging London from 66/67. Many Aussies found it more exciting that remaining in wowser conservative driven Aussie at the time.

Your "adventure" is vastly different to mine, flag. Mine was and still is exploring. As a matter of fact, my parents and older brother stated that I was born 100 years too late.

Bugga!!

Cheers, Bobj.

Some Aussies did to to the UK and stay there, of course, but I doubt if Australia was really that much of a wowser conservative place in the late 1960's. All the big groups came here, and local bands sprang up. Judging by the stories some of my Aussie mates told me of the 70's (after growing up in the 60's) they did not need any Pommie lessons in drug taking!

A better question is if one can afford to stay in Oz and get the most out of life perhaps? Up in The Kimberley at the moment and though had a great company paid house in Derby, am paying a bomb staying in Broome. If not $200 would be an average price to stay in the hotel. In fact a gauge would be some of the comments from the Grey Nomads I engage in these parts as are a mind of info. Some by pass Broome saying the caravan parks are not Grey Nomad friendly with the rip off prices charged. Some have even said that others won't come across the border to WA dur to price gorging.

Broome, lived in a tent at the 29 mile camp, then at the 8 mile camp, 1964/5 all free and fully air conditioned.

Got 'bunged up the ladder' and was living in a subsidised house in Knowsley St. Derby. 1965/6 The big song then (for MaryRose, was Winchester Cathedral)

Can, hand on heart, say that I was one of the first 10 people in the brand new pub, The Boab. Used to cross the building site twice a day to and from work.

Good times, flag, times when you made your own fun.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes.

The minute I stepped of the plane, I had a great vibe and knew.

Funnily I am born and bred British, my entire family live there but I spent most of my life dreaming of living abroad. My best friend moved here when we were 16 and I felt part of me go with her, we now live 20 mins away from each other and we slotted back in together as if we hadnt spent the last 15+ yrs apart.

We never really felt settled in the UK (both myself and hubby) we spent days walking in afternoons with our dogs, dreaming of being here yet we hadnt even had a holiday here. We wanted a different lifestyle, we wanted to bring our children up in elsewhere.

It has been a hard journey, I have dreadfully missed family, more as time passes not less. I do love our life here though, despite going through so many personal journeys, health issues and losses overseas.

We love the lifestyle, the homes, the food, the beaches, the nature.

I dont think we ever compare between the UK and Australia and if we did it was for a very short time, we saw this as a new country, new adventure and as so, isnt comparable, but different and I think thats why we have settled so well. We dont search for British products, we embrace the Australian ones.

Highly doubtful, although nobody can ever say never, as we never know what will happen in life.

Yes, I like living in Oz,

Why? All the usual reasons, its a good place to live, lifestyle, opportunity, climate...there are things I don't like but I don't think they are country specific...

Would I go back...yes I can see a time when it may be appropriate for us to live in the UK again when parents are very elderly perhaps but I would never say 'for good' and I would likely keep my house here.

Yes.

The minute I stepped of the plane, I had a great vibe and knew.

Funnily I am born and bred British, my entire family live there but I spent most of my life dreaming of living abroad. My best friend moved here when we were 16 and I felt part of me go with her, we now live 20 mins away from each other and we slotted back in together as if we hadnt spent the last 15+ yrs apart.

We never really felt settled in the UK (both myself and hubby) we spent days walking in afternoons with our dogs, dreaming of being here yet we hadnt even had a holiday here. We wanted a different lifestyle, we wanted to bring our children up in elsewhere.

It has been a hard journey, I have dreadfully missed family, more as time passes not less. I do love our life here though, despite going through so many personal journeys, health issues and losses overseas.

We love the lifestyle, the homes, the food, the beaches, the nature.

I dont think we ever compare between the UK and Australia and if we did it was for a very short time, we saw this as a new country, new adventure and as so, isnt comparable, but different and I think thats why we have settled so well. We dont search for British products, we embrace the Australian ones.

Highly doubtful, although nobody can ever say never, as we never know what will happen in life.

Missing family is the worst bit of coming here. I still think about my Nana clutching my Mum's arm at Gatwick in 1978 (almost my anniversary too) and never seeing her again, or the feeling that I broke our family up by coming here, then my two brothers following me.

I think some 'new' Australians come here with the intention of retiring back to Italy or Greece, but then they have kids who grow up as 'Aussies' and don't want to leave, and what is the point in moving back 'home' if you are never going to see your kids and grandkids!?

Yes, I like living in Oz,

Why? All the usual reasons, its a good place to live, lifestyle, opportunity, climate...there are things I don't like but I don't think they are country specific...

Would I go back...yes I can see a time when it may be appropriate for us to live in the UK again when parents are very elderly perhaps but I would never say 'for good' and I would likely keep my house here.

I was out for a walk this arvo and came across a young guy in an Everton shirt who told me he is going back to England in a few weeks for work. His parents are also going back to England for the same reason. Still, they are all citizens now so they can come and go. And the young guy told me about a mate from Liverpool who thought he was happy in Sydney but went back and found that he loved the atmosphere so much he is staying there! But who knows, perhaps they will all return to Australia again.

1. Yes

2. Its a beautiful country, we are fortunate to live a very comfortable lifestyle, life is good here.

3. maybe, depends on many factors, I'd never rule it out, I still love England just as much as I ever did

See, you can say nice things about me! (Well indirectly as I started the thread!)

1. It's fine. My (Australian) partner and our daughter are currently very happy here, and we both have employment.

2. That's harder to answer. It wasn't my choice to come and live in Australia, in fact, were it not for meeting an Australian in London and falling in love, I would never have even thought to visit this country. I like that my family are happy, and I enjoy meeting up with Harpo for a few pints in one of Geelong's many quaint and cosy pubs.

3. A return home in the coming years is beginning to look increasingly likely. Quite apart from my ever-present homesickness and ambivalence towards my surroundings, my partner is beginning to tire of what she perceives as the pretentiousness of Melbourne and our daughter would like to have some kind of relationship with our family back in England. I would like our daughter to complete primary school first before we made the move, so another 2-3 years, but our work situations may prompt an earlier return.

Some Aussies did to to the UK and stay there, of course, but I doubt if Australia was really that much of a wowser conservative place in the late 1960's. All the big groups came here, and local bands sprang up. Judging by the stories some of my Aussie mates told me of the 70's (after growing up in the 60's) they did not need any Pommie lessons in drug taking!

Many Aussies fled there of course to escape straight jacket Australia. Beach inspectors measuring bikini size to confirm to standards of "decency" , the second most censured nation after South Africa with regards to what the public could read or see. Wonder why the drug taking and alcohol consumption was so bad. Aussie bands needed to make it overseas often to stay away prolonged periods if return.

Missing family is the worst bit of coming here. I still think about my Nana clutching my Mum's arm at Gatwick in 1978 (almost my anniversary too) and never seeing her again, or the feeling that I broke our family up by coming here, then my two brothers following me.

I think some 'new' Australians come here with the intention of retiring back to Italy or Greece, but then they have kids who grow up as 'Aussies' and don't want to leave, and what is the point in moving back 'home' if you are never going to see your kids and grandkids!?

Same everywhere. Kids are often the anchor preventing a return. All to many over look this fact. Even worse the kids flee overseas leaving the parents in their age stranded to an extent in the country they came to in hope of improving their kids lot.

Archived