Moving to Brisbane/Sydney

Abi

Hello!

I'm 19 and planning to move to Australia in 2015/6 but hopefully as soon as possible!

All my family are staying in the UK but I want to go for the job opportunities, lifestyle and the weather of course! Slightly worried to go on my own so if anyone has done anything similar at my age I'd love the advise!

I'm currently training to be a property manager over here and will look for similar jobs out there. I've spoken to a visa company and they have said I will be able to get a visa 6 months after I've qualified. Right now I've saved £5000, but I'm wondering how much will be needed to rent for around 6 months first and then put a deposit down on a property? What percentage needs to be out down on a house over there? I'm also wondering if anyone knows if you have to take additional exams to be a property manager in Australia?

If anyone has a suggestion on either Brisbane or Sydney that would be fab! Hoping to visit in March so any places to travel to in between the two will also be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Abi

Hello Abi and welcome to the forum.

What visa have you been recommended to apply for; is the visa company you have dealt with MARA registered?

Migrating is an expensive business and £5000 will not go very far with fees and flights, shipping and purchase of essentials on arrival let alone rent and deposits on purchase.

With regard to property to rent or buy there is plenty of information if you google real estate Australia. Perhaps ask yourself whether you could rent and put down a deposit on a property in London by 2015/16. If the answer is no then the same answer may apply for Australia, particularly Sydney.

Thank you for your reply! The company was called expert visas and they have suggested to apply for a 190 visa. I've not heard of MARA before. Which company would you suggest to use for getting a visa?

I won't be bringing anything over apart from clothes so there will be no shipping costs. £5000 is just a start at the moment, I plan to take almost double by the time I'm ready to go. I also plan to get a fully furnished apartment first so that I do not have to buy many things to begin with. I have looked and these are around 1200 Australian dollars a month according to the real estate website.

Would you advise to try to get a job before going to Australia or to look once you are there? I have been using the website SEEK which is very helpful but I don't know what is best to do.

Hi Abi, Dont ever get caught by some fake agents for visa, 1st priority you apply visa by yourself you can find all guidance on immigration Australia website, if still you need to choose agent then you make sure it is Mara Registered Agent, you can go this website https://www.mara.gov.au/ where you can find all info about agents, if know any agent you can even search there also if its MARA Registered or not, otherwise you can choose your location and find registered agents.

If you go with registered agent it will be peace of mind for you if you have any issue with that agent you can lodge your complaint to relevant authority in Australia.

For rental accommodation Sydney is expensive than Brisbane. :)

Hmmmm at 19/20 years old I would be very surprised if you score enough points for a permanent visa... be careful to speak to a reputable agent like Go Matilda for example.

1200 dollars for a fully furnished apartment per month also sounds far to good to be true... it could be possible in a house share arrangement.

As for a deposit.... depends on how much you want to spend on a house.... but 10 % is a good rule of thumb, if you have 20% you'll have to pay less fees as it puts you in a lower risk category. If you don't have substantial savings for this I think you'll be saving for way more than 6 months before buying anywhere...

Thank you for your help, I will definitely look to go with a registered agent!

I will be 21 by the time I move at least as I will need to save until then. Hopefully I will gain enough, the original company I spoke to did indicate I would have enough points (however now I'm slightly worried as not sure if it was MARA approved).

The accommodation I've looked at to get an idea is in South Brisbane, it's on at $1232 a month!

Good to know thank you!!

Can anybody recommend places to visit in March? I'm looking to do Sydney, Port Stephens, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Southport and Brisbane. Are all these places worth a visit?

Thanks again everyone!

Thank you for your help, I will definitely look to go with a registered agent!

I will be 21 by the time I move at least as I will need to save until then. Hopefully I will gain enough, the original company I spoke to did indicate I would have enough points (however now I'm slightly worried as not sure if it was MARA approved).

The accommodation I've looked at to get an idea is in South Brisbane, it's on at $1232 a month!

Good to know thank you!!

Can anybody recommend places to visit in March? I'm looking to do Sydney, Port Stephens, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Southport and Brisbane. Are all these places worth a visit?

Thanks again everyone!

Very surprised at a furnished let in South Brisbane at just $300 a week.

Hi Abi,

Welcome... Please start by checking with a MARA registered agent.. We hear some terrible horror stories on here, where people have paid thousands of pounds to agents and ended up with nothing.. If you give one a call, generally they will tell you your options before you have to part with any money.. I'll give you a quick run down of our costs, so far, not to frighten you, just may help. Best of luck with your plans.. :wink:

Skills assessment - $2000

IELTS (English test) - £135

Medical - £350 x 3 =£1050

189 Visa application = $7000 approx (190 visa is less, but you need significant savings, varying from approx $20,000 - $40,000 dependent on which state is sponsoring).

Migration agent £1500 (can be £3000-£3500)

Pet shipping - £6500

Furniture shipping - £5000

Flights £700 x 3 = £2100

Again, it's not to put you off, just be careful that you are getting the right info.. :wink:

Also, check to see if your occupation is on the skilled occupations list. Without that you're not eligible to apply for either of these (189 or 190) visas.. Have you thought about a WHV (Working holiday visa)? It's a temporary visa that allows you to go and have a look from between 1 and 2 years (rules apply for the 2nd year extension).. :)

Thank you for the break down that's great help!! I'd be looking at around £7000 from what you have said so best get saving! If you don't mind me asking how much did you budget for each person once you got to Australia? Is that $20,000 that you needed after all the expenses such as the visa?

Yes my job is on the consolidated skills list at the moment. Which migration agency did you use? There are so many on offer that I'm not sure which is the best to go with when I do. I have thought about a working visa but my brother is out there at the moment and not having much luck with finding a job. I would like a more permanent option.

Thank you for the break down that's great help!! I'd be looking at around £7000 from what you have said so best get saving! If you don't mind me asking how much did you budget for each person once you got to Australia? Is that $20,000 that you needed after all the expenses such as the visa?

Yes my job is on the consolidated skills list at the moment. Which migration agency did you use? There are so many on offer that I'm not sure which is the best to go with when I do. I have thought about a working visa but my brother is out there at the moment and not having much luck with finding a job. I would like a more permanent option.

Hi Abi,

The cost for the state sponsored 190 Visa is $3520 at present. This spreadsheet shows some of the timescales for the 189 and 190 visas. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkrdCphtU8u-dGJQSWROUlZ0bThIaUF2VW9zdUZmMlE&usp=sharing#gid=29

I used Ian Harrop Associates from Swindon, but if you look on the Australian Immigration website they will lead you to MARA registered migration agents near you. Also, there are some that use this forum.

Property rentals don't seem to be as straightforward as you'd think. Most require proof of employment, or proof of a healthy bank balance, references etc. Some people have had to pay six months rent in advance to secure a place. It's all really dependent on what you want to do. If you'll be staying with your brother for a while, that would probably give you time to get a job and get settled..

Have you read up on the visa requirements? http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx Also, the individual state needs to have the occupation on their list, you've mentioned Sydney and Brisbane which is New South Wales or Queensland. Have you checked NSW or Qld have your occupation on their lists? You need to have your skills assessed through the Skillselect through someone like TRA or Vetassess. Have a look at your occupation on the CSOL list, next to it they will tell you who the assessing body is.. You will have to apply for your skills assessment through them. Your migration agent will tell you all this..

Note: After telling you that you needed to have funds between $20,000 - $40,000 with a 190 visa, I can't actually find it on the Aus Immi website, so might have mixed that up with another visa.. I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me ..:wink:

I would have 25 points for age, 20 for my English (if I can gain a high enough mark), 10 for a qualification recognised by the authority in the skilled occupation and 5 from the state or territory government. However I've just looked at the lists and I could go to the Northern Territory as my job is needed! Not thought about going there before!! Does anyone know what Darwin is like?

I would have 25 points for age, 20 for my English (if I can gain a high enough mark), 10 for a qualification recognised by the authority in the skilled occupation and 5 from the state or territory government. However I've just looked at the lists and I could go to the Northern Territory as my job is needed! Not thought about going there before!! Does anyone know what Darwin is like?

Don't know about Darwin, never been there, but to get the 20 points for English, you'll need to sit the IELTS test and get a score of 8/9 across the four tests. It costs around £135 and there are testing centres across the UK. You can sit it as many times as you like. I sat it thinking I would use my first attempt as a gauge of how much work i'd need to put in, but 8.5s across the board.. :)

Archived