Migrating to Perth

peterc1983

Hey all,

I recently got my 189, and am currently saving away to move over April next year. My sis stays out in Perth at North Beach and am wondering if anyone can recommend some locations in Perth? I don't think I will be able to live where she's at, given the prices, at least not for a while :)

I'm single, will be moving over myself and am used to living in the city centre. I understand transport links are great in the city so I'm all for a cheaper alternative location nearby.

I'm presuming that the work I will get will likely be office and therefore probably city-bound travel will be a big thing.

Additionally; has anyone done this solo as well?! Any tips?

Hi Peter,

An awful lot of Perth is awfully suburb and IMHO pretty awful, as you are single and look pretty young if that's you in your profile pic I would be looking to the few areas that had a bit of life - Northbridge, West Perth, Scarborough, Fremantle, Subiaco...these will all come at a premium so you will need to lower your accommodation expectations. Or if that really will stretch the budget look at the Transperth maps for places a stop or two along the trainline from there.

Your sister can surely recommend places though? Scarborough might be a good choice as you will be reasonably close - probably a nice bike ride along the costal path away :)

Not that Scarborough is cheap but there are plenty of units and apartments more suitable for a single person than the ubiquitous 4x2 in most suburbs. You should be able to get a 1 bed place around $350 a week. Now in the outer suburbs you could almost get a 4x2 for that but it's all about the lifestyle you want.

Hi Peter,

An awful lot of Perth is awfully suburb and IMHO pretty awful, as you are single and look pretty young if that's you in your profile pic I would be looking to the few areas that had a bit of life - Northbridge, West Perth, Scarborough, Fremantle, Subiaco...these will all come at a premium so you will need to lower your accommodation expectations. Or if that really will stretch the budget look at the Transperth maps for places a stop or two along the trainline from there.

Your sister can surely recommend places though? Scarborough might be a good choice as you will be reasonably close - probably a nice bike ride along the costal path away :)

Not that Scarborough is cheap but there are plenty of units and apartments more suitable for a single person than the ubiquitous 4x2 in most suburbs. You should be able to get a 1 bed place around $350 a week. Now in the outer suburbs you could almost get a 4x2 for that but it's all about the lifestyle you want.

(it is me in the pic).. well, my sis is in her early 30s and as I say, lives in North Beach, but had previously been in Subiaco. She loves Perth and since she's already there it was my first choice of destination; but as she is with her husband and new-born the dynamic is a little different for her than me.

I'm not sure exactly how much I will be working off of once I start a job but thank you for the suggestions. In my flat here in Scotland I pay say $1000AUD for a 1-bed flat where I am just now (rent only, bills on top of that). So it seems like it's fairly similarly priced.

Thanks again.

(it is me in the pic).. well, my sis is in her early 30s and as I say, lives in North Beach, but had previously been in Subiaco. She loves Perth and since she's already there it was my first choice of destination; but as she is with her husband and new-born the dynamic is a little different for her than me.

I'm not sure exactly how much I will be working off of once I start a job but thank you for the suggestions. In my flat here in Scotland I pay say $1000AUD for a 1-bed flat where I am just now (rent only, bills on top of that). So it seems like it's fairly similarly priced.

Thanks again.

Hopefully bumping the post up will get you some more replies :)

If you are looking for somewhere fairly reasonable to stay when you first land, assuming your sister isn't putting you up then I can recommend this place http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/wa/perth/joondanna/49160

We stayed for two months whilst we secured a rental, it is well located for travelling into Perth and down to the coast not far from where your sister is.

I would agree a lot with what LR has said Peter. Scarborough might suit you just fine, lot's of smaller apartments round there, great beach, pubs clubs close by, fairly easy to get into Perth. Not close to the train though. A lot of money being spent around that area.

Bonus is it has one of the best kebab shops around at Peter's by the sea. Me and the wife thought we would try the new Matisse Beach bar (or so they call it, it's not really that close to the beach). It's horrendously expensive and trying too hard to be trendy. They play pretty crap music too loud. We had one drink in there and thought we would try one of the other bars, which are about half the price of Matisse and have a lot more atmosphere as more people go in them. We ended up in Peters having a Kebab and beer is about $5 a bottle.:laugh:

My eldest son is 25 and his favourite pub is Botanica's on Scarborough Beach Road. He's been going there since it opened and has a lot of people who he knows go there, so that's probably the attraction. Another place that he goes to a lot and seems lively is Mount Lawley. There are loads of places to choose from and don't discount living in Perth somewhere. There are loads of good apartments in nice places in Perth and it's not like a big dirty City. The river running through it is pretty spectacular and you could walk to lots of places where you would have a good time.

I would agree a lot with what LR has said Peter. Scarborough might suit you just fine, lot's of smaller apartments round there, great beach, pubs clubs close by, fairly easy to get into Perth. Not close to the train though. A lot of money being spent around that area.

Bonus is it has one of the best kebab shops around at Peter's by the sea. Me and the wife thought we would try the new Matisse Beach bar (or so they call it, it's not really that close to the beach). It's horrendously expensive and trying too hard to be trendy. They play pretty crap music too loud. We had one drink in there and thought we would try one of the other bars, which are about half the price of Matisse and have a lot more atmosphere as more people go in them. We ended up in Peters having a Kebab and beer is about $5 a bottle.:laugh:

My eldest son is 25 and his favourite pub is Botanica's on Scarborough Beach Road. He's been going there since it opened and has a lot of people who he knows go there, so that's probably the attraction. Another place that he goes to a lot and seems lively is Mount Lawley. There are loads of places to choose from and don't discount living in Perth somewhere. There are loads of good apartments in nice places in Perth and it's not like a big dirty City. The river running through it is pretty spectacular and you could walk to lots of places where you would have a good time.

Thanks for this; it's very encouraging :) .. I'm going to have a look into some of the places mentioned.

Yep, I almost added Mount Lawley to my list and agree Perth CBD is growing as a place to live and from our reccie in 2008 when we came out of a cinema at 7:30 to find everything closed to when we left in 2013 there had been some really good bars and restaurants opened - pricey mind. Not sure where the project is at but Northbridge and the CBD were being joined together and the riverside developed so the CBD is only going to get better I would say.

For transport you find it hard to beat maylands,my Lawley, Inglewood. Good train and bus services, plus you can ride bike paths to the city and never go on a road. Couple of decent pubs, although you would probably head to the city for nightlife. Lots of flats and apartments. You won't be surrounded by poms, but I assume you'd want to meet locals. Or you could look around Fremantle, or the usual northern burbs. The worst you could do is find somewhere a bit dullish (suburban sprawl) there aren't many no go areas in Perth.

• 4 weeks later...
Dude, if you want to be able to survive over in perth (It is not cheap!!) move to Armadale, Gosnells, Maddington, Thornlie or Canning areas. Easy access to all amenities from these locations, share houses going from $80-150.

Those aren't really nice areas though. I would be keeping out of Armadale and would scrape enough together to get into a decent area. Could be the difference to enjoying it or thinking it's a dump. I would go as far as giving up drinking to live in a nice area close to the beach where every weekend (and even in the week) feels like a holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

Wembly or West Leederville would be good options. Close enough to the beach and city, but not one of the more expensive suburbs. The closest train station would be in West Leederville. Buses are good through that area too.

Let us know wher you end up!

Vic Park is definitely worth a look also as it is a little cheaper than Mt Lawley, Leederville and Subi but is just about the same distance from the CBD.

Plenty of restaurants, a sprinkling of pubs / bars, good community and excellent transport links too. One downside is that it is a bit further to the coast.

Archived