Aussie wanting to England with British wife

geolego

Hello!

I am Australian and my wife is in the process of becoming an Aussie citizen (took forever!) and we are also expecting our first child in January 2015. We have made the decision that it is time to move to the UK to be with her family as she has been in Australia from nearly 7-8 years. We are looking at all of the different visas and I feel as though we are getting a bit over our heads with it all. We are looking at applying for the 'family of a settled person' visa, with the intention of applying for citizenship at the end of the 2 1/2 years. Sounds simple enough? We would like to remain in the UK with the intention of myself obtain dual citizenship.

I am just concerned about whether or not this is the best visa to apply for. Also does anyone much knowledge regarding the financial requirement? My understanding is that we will need to show evidence that we have around 19k Pounds, does this just need to be in a bank account or will my current wage while in Australia support this? Very confusing! I am also eligible for the 'Youth Mobility Visa' which I have been told is very straight forward which would grant me working rights in the UK for two years etc.

Any help and advice would be amazing!

Many thanks!

The youth visa is most likely a temporary working visa which will stipulate that you can't have a permanent job for more than 6 months before moving onto something else. No access to public funds.

Do you have a grandparent that is a pom? If so you can get a 4 year ancestry visa which has no stipulation other than you can go on the dole.

The partner visa is the safest having a family. Although it will be the most effort.

UK Citizenship is the same method whichever way you get there. A computer test, paperwork and a ceremony. Easy enough if you have a half decent memory.

Your wife will have to sponsor you for the spouse visa so that means she will have to be in a job earning £18k+ or be in one in Aus earning that and have one lined up to earn the same in UK. Your earnings are irrelevant unfortunately! If you don't have that then you will need £65k in the bank in savings.

I don't think you would be eligible for the youth work visa because IIRC like the Aus WHV it stipulates no dependents and, with a wife and baby that would rule you out!

The very easiest would be if you can dredge up a UK born parent yourself - in which case you could be a citizen by descent. Or, if not, then a UK born grandparent would get you an Ancestry working visa. If none of those then do your parents or grandparents bring you an EU passport by descent at all?

Failing all those you are back to the draconian spouse visa, the constraints of which have, unfortunately, made moving to UK impossible for many who wish to do so.

The youth visa is most likely a temporary working visa which will stipulate that you can't have a permanent job for more than 6 months before moving .

This is rubbish, there are no restrictions on how long you can work for one employer whilst the visa is valid, which is two years. However in your circumstances it's probably not the best option, unless you wanted a cheap option to give it a go for two years without the expense and hassle of a partner visa.

What you earn has nothing to do with it unfortunately. It will all come down to what your wife earns and that will need to be GBP18,600 - once the baby is born the amount you need to earn increases to £20 something thousand pounds.

if your wife doesn't or can't earn that much you can look at savings, I believe the amount you need is £62,500 (if your relying purely on savings), this can be in your name, her name or joint names and I think it can over a few accounts I believe but has to have been in the account for 6 plus months.

ive been looking into this for my partner and I but he doesn't earn enough as a law graduate so were stuck at the moment

Archived