cheap flight website anyone?

marie

Skyscanner will help you find the cheapest flights but if cost is the absolute primary motivator then you should consider getting a budget airline from asia such as Air Asia, Jetstar, Tigerair, Scoot (and I'm sure there are others)

You can then get a cheaper flight to Sri Lanka, India or wherever the budget airline flies from.

We got three flights using Sri Lankan airlines and Air Asia for about $2500 last year. It takes some time trawling the airline websites though - you won't find any combinations like this on skyscanner or similar.

The downside is your luggage allowance may be less (although Sri Lankan airlines code shares with Malaysian and it is 30kg - on Air Asia you can pay for whatever you want to take, the cost I quoted includes our luggage) and the journey time will inevitable be longer - you have to be really careful as if you miss a connecting flight between two airlines neither is responsible. Our end to end journey was 36 hours - not many people are prepared to do that but to save a couple of thousand dollars we were :)

• 2 weeks later...

Try http://www.statravel.co.uk They have a good matrix display, so you can adjust a day or so here and there to save £'s - cheapest on there for November was £680-something the other day (eqiv' to 10 x day returns on the train to London from here!). I'm booked to fly out of LHR to Perth on Christmas Eve with Malaysian, £914 (unbelievably excited, but have to come home still). Much cheaper than an emergency dash I had to make last July for winter in Perth (UK School holidays.....humph!), but Christmas is cheaper if you aren't waiting for Santa

:wink:

Hi

I'm looking to book flights for April and I have been finding a few at 420-460 mark with the cheaper airlines. How late would you leave it to get them kind of prices. I don't want to book before xmas if I can help it, and any tips to get it cheaper than that or is that the lowest price pretty much.

Thanks

Hi

I'm looking to book flights for April and I have been finding a few at 420-460 mark with the cheaper airlines. How late would you leave it to get them kind of prices. I don't want to book before xmas if I can help it, and any tips to get it cheaper than that or is that the lowest price pretty much.

Thanks

I assume that's a single fare? A lot depends on what time of year your flying where in Australia you are flying too. I have never seen it as low as £420 but have often seen around the £500 mark for a single.

Skyscanner will help you find the cheapest flights but if cost is the absolute primary motivator then you should consider getting a budget airline from asia such as Air Asia, Jetstar, Tigerair, Scoot (and I'm sure there are others)

You can then get a cheaper flight to Sri Lanka, India or wherever the budget airline flies from.

We got three flights using Sri Lankan airlines and Air Asia for about $2500 last year. It takes some time trawling the airline websites though - you won't find any combinations like this on skyscanner or similar.

The downside is your luggage allowance may be less (although Sri Lankan airlines code shares with Malaysian and it is 30kg - on Air Asia you can pay for whatever you want to take, the cost I quoted includes our luggage) and the journey time will inevitable be longer - you have to be really careful as if you miss a connecting flight between two airlines neither is responsible. Our end to end journey was 36 hours - not many people are prepared to do that but to save a couple of thousand dollars we were :)

Did you spend any time in Colombo? it's quite a nice city for a 48 hour stopover.

Archived