Specific Comparison Sydney and Brisbane

Murta

H all

So many informative comments about each one's opinion on the subject the suggestions range from figuring it out for oneself to depending on wage and family size etc what exactly do you mean when you say Brisbane is better for children : more to do and less people. I assume less passer bus on the street, less traffic smaller classroom size, smaller populated (waiting lists) for activities when I think of this. Is this so?

Like I am reading and can see that rent is higher in Sydney to Brisbane and the house size is huge in brisbane in comparison etc. But if like what a lot say Brisbane is more costly (marginally) to Sydney on all other things, well does that mean the higher rent/mortgage even it out?

I too am in a dilemma about the 2 cities , went to Sydney last year (2nd time) and loved it. We haven't been to brisbane but have a friend there. I am a social worker and the wages are a little less in Brisbane. We want Sydney but are so fearful of the costs it will occur. The plus is we have two good friends there and far out family.

SO can some of you be specific with comparisons like activities costs for kids horseriding gymnastics etc in either city is one any safer than the other etc Reality of renting? Does either city have particular suburbs that blend suburbia with central living? We have two kids 8 and 4 and our aim is to be working parents. We are a greek irish family and do like city life but haven't reared our kids in a city before.n I think of this. Is this so?

Like I am reading and can see that rent is higher in Sydney to Brisbane and the house size is huge in brisbane in comparison etc. But if like what a lot say Brisbane is more costly (marginally) to Sydney on all other things, well does that mean the higher rent/mortgage even it out?

I too am in a dilemma about the 2 cities , went to Sydney last year (2nd time) and loved it. We haven't been to brisbane but have a friend there. I am a social worker and the wages are a little less in Brisbane. We want Sydney but are so fearful of the costs it will occur. The plus is we have two good friends there and far out family.

SO can some of you be specific with comparisons like activities costs for kids horseriding gymnastics etc in either city is one any safer than the other etc Reality of renting? Does either city have particular suburbs that blend suburbia with central living? We have two kids 8 and 4 and our aim is to be working parents. We are a greek irish family and do like city life but haven't reared our kids in a city before.

Any ideas most welcomed!!

It is ridiculous to say that one city is "better for children" than the other. There will be children living very happily in both cities and there will be children's activities in both cities. You are not going to be able to make this decision based on "best for children", it is arbitrary and subjective.

Cost on the other hand can be used to make some fact based decisions. I spend a lot of time in Brisbane but I live in Sydney. I find when I go to Brisbane my lunch and coffee is more expensive up there, so maybe food is generally, I don't know I have never done a full weekly shop there. But even if it is more expensive for groceries, no, no way is that going to compensate for the extra cost of accommodation. This will be very substantially more in Sydney. In fact after four years in Sydney, we are wondering about moving to Brisbane simply because of housing costs.

Also when people say they live in Sydney (or Brisbane I am sure), it doesn't mean they live slap bang in the middle of a city centre. They usually mean they live in one of the suburbs. I live in a beach suburb, pretty laid back, quite touristy but quiet as well, I still say I live in Sydney though because it is a Sydney suburb.

thanks Pumpkin, I totally agree the statement people write is subjective but so many write it I feel and thats why I wanted more specifics on their comments. Yes Brisbane overall is a pull as it would seem more disposable income will be available to us for the lower accomo costs.

thanks Pumpkin, I totally agree the statement people write is subjective but so many write it I feel and thats why I wanted more specifics on their comments. Yes Brisbane overall is a pull as it would seem more disposable income will be available to us for the lower accomo costs.

So many write it? I have never seen anyone wrote that their city or suburb is better than any other for children. Even if they write that their suburb is great for children and their chosen lifestyle, it would be a brave one that said it is better.

Both places have pluses and minuses. Living anywhere commutable and half decent in Brisbane is expensive if you're renting, in Sydney it's prohibitive. If you're going to buy a house and have any kind of normal salary (I'm thinking of joint income < $250K - and no it sounds a lot but I'd be wanting that to live in Sydney) then I'd head to Brissie as you may stand a chance of buying something. If you're ambitious and driven, then the Brisbane approach to work (from what I've seen) may wind you up. People seems happier on the street in Brisbane than Sydney, but friends who work in Sydney seem to be happier with their jobs.... Sydney IMHO much prettier and 'happening' than Brisbane. Like hot sweaty weather in Summer and almost perfect Spring and Autumn weather - Brisbane...... see how difficult it is to choose (and I know both places)

No difference for kids btw......

Both places have pluses and minuses. Living anywhere commutable and half decent in Brisbane is expensive if you're renting, in Sydney it's prohibitive. If you're going to buy a house and have any kind of normal salary (I'm thinking of joint income < $250K - and no it sounds a lot but I'd be wanting that to live in Sydney) then I'd head to Brissie as you may stand a chance of buying something. If you're ambitious and driven, then the Brisbane approach to work (from what I've seen) may wind you up. People seems happier on the street in Brisbane than Sydney, but friends who work in Sydney seem to be happier with their jobs.... Sydney IMHO much prettier and 'happening' than Brisbane. Like hot sweaty weather in Summer and almost perfect Spring and Autumn weather - Brisbane...... see how difficult it is to choose (and I know both places)

No difference for kids btw......

Thanks chortlepuss, informative. Wow that is an in obtainable salary for the two of us. Like I was aiming for 145/50 as an ideal bonus. My oh kconsiders this buying property where I have no ambition for it. Do you think without the need to buy is it any better financially.?

A lot depends on the sort of person you are and the sort of people your children are and whether you like a more relaxed lifestyle or a more 'driven' but maybe more ambitious type lifestyle. Both are good places to live from what I can see though I haven't lived in either, just visited.

Guest rikimilton

Both place are good. People seems happier in Brisbane and Sydney. Brisbane is expensive if you are renting and Sydney is more expensive for groceries. Both are good places to live.

thanks, yes i agree it depends on the family character and determination along with flexibility. We have more friends in Sydney which i important to us for the TLC side of things. This I feel will compensate greatly for the high cost of living.

Archived