How do you know when you have 'become' an 'Aussie' (and stopped missing 'Home?')

MARYROSE02

Aussie checking in here, for what it's worth...

I have a Pom mate who has lived here since the early 80s. He has done his damnedest to lose his accent, and to take pride in calling Australia "home" when he visits the UK. Honestly, I think he tries too hard.

As an Aussie, I just don't care where you may be along the continuum between Englishness and Australianness. Do what feels right for you, and don't try to be what you're not.

I like footy to a certain extent but it is only one of many things and this year I have gone off it because my team sits at the bottom. I wouldn't say it is that important anyway. When did I feel as though I belonged here and not in the UK? Probably when I had had a baby over here- our first 2 were born in the UK. I knew we wouldn't ever go back from day1 though, never even occurred to me.

See, I think 'home' is more a state of mind. We all view it differently. I have called Aus home since the day we landed. Its where we live, its where my family is (as in hubby and son) and its home. The UK was home when we lived there. However, as time goes on wherever we live in whichevr country 'home' to me is more my home, the house we live in, the life we build for ourselves. Australia is the country that we have that home in.

:)

Couldn't have put it better. 'Home' is where I am currently living. I used to think it was strange that I felt neither British nor Australian, now I just feel content wherever my feet are

Aussie checking in here, for what it's worth...

I have a Pom mate who has lived here since the early 80s. He has done his damnedest to lose his accent, and to take pride in calling Australia "home" when he visits the UK. Honestly, I think he tries too hard.

As an Aussie, I just don't care where you may be along the continuum between Englishness and Australianness. Do what feels right for you, and don't try to be what you're not.

Some people pick up an Aussie accent. I dont know why? My brother soundd Aussie but i don't

Except for Melbourne where every woman follows a footie team! Melbourne women are the only ones in the world who I ask "which team do u go for?'

Heard the saying but don't recall meeting one. Actually I do know one but ex Adelaide, now in Cambodia. Never breached Aussie League though, otherwise it would be a very short exchange.

I've said it in another post somewhere but, we've visited Australia many times over the last ten years. We have family and friends there and always look forward to going for a visit.. Last July we went out for our great friends wedding on Magnetic island near Townsville, then visited OH's brother and family down in Brisbane. We've been accepted into the extended social circles really well, and I think due to that I started to feel really at home there.. We actually have more of a social life in Australia than back in the UK. I think that realisation of feeling really at home and welcomed made us decide that Australia is the place for us to be. So, I got straight on it when we got back to the UK in August '13 and I am now watching the clock, waiting for my flight to come around on 3rd Nov, taking me off to my new life and new home of Australia.. Can't wait!! :wink:

My granddad said, and I agree: "Home is where you hang your hat". The UK is a foreign country for me, and I realised that while I was in Germany. Visited the UK twice in 10 years, and each time enjoyed the visit as a tourist, and was glad to be going home at the end of the visit. Same for China. Now Australia is home, but for the first time I feel at home and have the citizenship to go with it.

I find that some days I feel very English and other days I feel more Australian. My first ever Australian passport arrived in the post today - was weird looking at it - my photo, my name, nationality 'Australian' - weird!!!

Mine should arrive soon, I know what you mean, strange....congrats on the passport, dual nationality is a gift

Mine should arrive soon, I know what you mean, strange....congrats on the passport, dual nationality is a gift

That is exactly how I feel! It is an honour IMO. I was once told I was sad by a certain currently banned individual for thinking that but how is it sad? Another country actually wants us to live and contribute to their country not because by default we were born there.

That is exactly how I feel! It is an honour IMO. I was once told I was sad by a certain currently banned individual for thinking that but how is it sad? Another country actually wants us to live and contribute to their country not because by default we were born there.

The passport does make me feel more a part of Australia now. I did the citizenship ceremony but it didn't mean much, having the passport somehow makes it more real.

The passport does make me feel more a part of Australia now. I did the citizenship ceremony but it didn't mean much, having the passport somehow makes it more real.

Now I felt the citizenship ceremony was meaningful...maybe because it was on Australia Day and the biggest in WA! Cameras there and everything! The atmosphere was inclusive, welcoming and full of positivity about ongoing migration and migrants contribution to making Australia the country it is

I find that very strange....people affecting an accent to fit in...I think..'why are you talking like that??'

I can only imagine in an attempt to fit in or to deny their past or even in an attempt to impress family and friends in their former home. I'm a bit the other way around. Rather enjoy being the foreigner in a country. Especially one a little more different than UK or Australia. It really does, played right, allow one to get away with quite a bit more than a local at times, then there is the ever slightly exotic association with being from elsewhere.

Archived