Citizenship Ceremony Invitation

lawlere

Hi PIO friends,

Its been mentioned on a number of threads that the wait for a citizenship ceremony date can be anywhere up to six months and beyond after passing the citizenship test. For family reasons I need to travel home to the UK for an indefinite period after taking my test and would like to hear about people's experiences regarding the average notice period for the citizenship ceremony i.e. the amount of time between when the invitation is received and the actual date of the ceremony.

I will have somebody opening my mail while I am away although my ability to get back in time for the ceremony would depend on how much notice is provided - I reckon I could manage it with a couple of weeks notice but am unsure at the moment about how to plan properly for this situation.

Alternatively, I have also been wondering if it might be wiser to put my application through an agent who could notify me when the ceremony date is confirmed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

We took our test in the January and our ceremony was 5 months later - we had about a months notice but it will depend a lot your local council or shire.

It is a tricky situation as your citizenship may be denied if they have reason to believe you may not be planning to stay in Australia.

I have never known anyone use an agent for their citizenship application and for the reason above I wouldn't, as they would know you were out of the country and may have some obligation to inform DIBP.

Generally the advice is to take the test after you have returned permanently to Australia but if you have already taken your there is not much you can do.

It was five months for us too - we couldn't attend the first one (I had just given birth) so rang up and explained and they put us down for the next one, which was four months later. So you can miss it but, you HAVE to attend a ceremony within a year or you'll have to sit your test again. We had a month's notice of the ceremony each time so plenty of notice.

Archived