Moved to Oz recently

MandyPandy

I was out of work for 5 months when we first came in 92. Luckily my wife is a nurse and had a job within a couple of weeks. Once I got the first one though I've never been out of work since. Been with the same company for over 20 years so have a few months long service leave to come.:smile:

Sure when you get a job, get to know a few people in the same industry, then that helps you get another job or move on to a better one. Wouldn't say that Aus is any different to anywhere else in that. When I was made redundant in the UK, in the middle of a bad recession, I got a couple of jobs offered to me pretty quickly because of people and companies I'd worked with previously.

It's not a case of who you know not what you know but a combination of the two. If I knew someone looking for a job and thought they would fit the bill and there was a job going here I could probably get them a start. If they didn't have the qualifications or experience, no matter if they were my best friend, I wouldn't be putting their name forward. It would only get me a bad name at work.

Who you know is certainly a very big consideration and in many cases the clincher. Last full time job was exactly in my case due to knowing an associate of the CEO. Suddenly referees were no longer important which was all well and good, but lost the job with a change in the top position and a substantial pay cut which I refused to wear.

Archived