No history in UK - causing problems

chiara

So we decided, after a sudden job offer, to move to the UK. Things have moved speedily since then but we're now running into problems as we prepare to leave Australia. Namely that we don't exist! I've been trying to organise a house rental and the lack of UK addresses has sent everyone into a tizzy, been waiting two weeks to hear back about a rental because they've had to run all sorts of checks on us (paid by us), but fingers crossed.

Leasing a car long term is proving to be massively problematic, having not been resident in the country over the past three years means that even the dodgy bad credit history companies won't touch us. Has anyone else faced this and what did they do? Am beginning to feel I rushed into this. Flights are booked for next Tuesday and I'm panicking. And I don't have anyone over there to go guarantor for me so not an option. Help!

The old credit scoring might catch you out. The UK lives on it now.

Rentals again may prove awkward till you are in the country and able to do some talking. The credit checks they run are again based on you being resident in the UK.

I'm sure things will fall in to place once you are three but it might take a little longer than planned or renting privately not via an agent.

Car wise, be prepared to buy a car over leasing, at least till you have clicked up some credit history.

Thanks Snifter, it's a head wreck. Would it be easier to get a car loan then I wonder? That's just madness! What gets me is that you can have bad credit and still qualify!

You may find having to spend a couple of thousand cash the way forward with a car, at least till you've been there a while and credit history gets clocked up.

I doubt you'll get a loan from a dealership for a car as again, credit check. If you have a UK bank account still it may help going into a branch after a few months of working and seeing if you can borrow but again, they may credit check and it may not pan out.

Guest Guest98974

Rent from private landlords (check Gumtree), no credit checks or fees, and most times better to deal with than agents. Ours were happy to have us with rent references from Oz, evidence of bills and rent paid on time each month, etc, etc.

Visit Barclays. We got a full current account with no history. Gave it a few months, mobile contracts with 3, another year, credit cards with Barclays and approved for overdraft and loans if we want them.

Your arrival is just after the kids go back to school..so there should be plenty of short term/holiday rentals available - you might be able to strike a deal if you take a place for a month...at least you'll be on the ground - plenty of websites to help with that.

With cars... see if you can talk to a garage or local car hire company (avoid the big names) in the area you're going back to...again, you might be able to get a good deal for a months hire on something cheap and cheerful

Get yourself on the electoral roll as soon as possible. You probably won't get any credit anywhere until you are. That's what happened to us when we returned to the UK from Canada. Couldn't even get a 15 quid a month mobile phone. When I called Experien (credit check people) that was the advice they gave us. We had to offer to pay 6 months up front for our rental and my Dad had to act as guarantor.

I would definitely look at a furnished rental for the first month - try airbnb, you can get some fantastic places on there very cheaply. Once you are in the country it will be easier to secure somewhere longer term, although any reputable letting agent will do credit reference checks. As others have said private landlords may be more flexible, especially as you have employment, however they may still want to do credit checks - part of the reason is that landlords insurance often requires it. We did take a tenant that had failed the credit reference but had to accept the risk of no insurance.

Cars are so much cheaper in the UK that I wouldn't look at leasing anyway - hire a car for a week or so and buy a cheap one. I've paid £150 for cars in the past and in fact my dad was talking about giving his up, it is 13 years old but has less than £40k on the clock and is immaculate and in perfect condition - he reckons he'd only get about £150 for that - someone will get an absolute bargain if he does decide to.

Getting any kind of finance or credit will be difficult in the first few months - probably harder than it is for people moving to Australia where new migrants are the norm and banks etc. see them as rich pickings.

I think you need a serious think about whether you can actually afford this move or whether it is just last minute nerves kicking in.

I 2nd Airbnb. We go back to UK every year for several months, and depending on where you are it's almost impossible to get a short term rental for less than the usual 6 month let, unless you want to pay mega bucks.

we have never had a problem renting a car for our time there.

So we decided, after a sudden job offer, to move to the UK. Things have moved speedily since then but we're now running into problems as we prepare to leave Australia. Namely that we don't exist! I've been trying to organise a house rental and the lack of UK addresses has sent everyone into a tizzy, been waiting two weeks to hear back about a rental because they've had to run all sorts of checks on us (paid by us), but fingers crossed.

Leasing a car long term is proving to be massively problematic, having not been resident in the country over the past three years means that even the dodgy bad credit history companies won't touch us. Has anyone else faced this and what did they do? Am beginning to feel I rushed into this. Flights are booked for next Tuesday and I'm panicking. And I don't have anyone over there to go guarantor for me so not an option. Help!

Perhaps trying to organise the rental from overseas is a bit too ambitious, I would get holiday accommodation and leave that until you get back. When we moved back from overseas the first time, we found that nobody will offer credit for two years (although we did get a mortgage through the bank I had maintained an account with).

Thanks all, some very good advice on here. Yes organising stuff from here is ambitious, I was just anxious to get a rental so I could therefore get schools for the kids. As for cars, yes blimey just had a look, can get a decent 7 seater for around 3k which is really good. That solves that issue! As for the electoral roll, we're Irish so that's not possible. And there's no going back, job quit on a 457 visa and flights booked. Australia is beautiful and diverse and crazy but definitely not where I want to spend the rest of my days and I'm not the sort to spend years or months wishing I were somewhere else. Decision made, rightly or wrongly!

I emailed a couple of rental agents with questions about what to do since we will also have no recent credit history in the UK. They said a guarantor (who will be credit checked so you may not want to ask a friend to do that anyway) or six months rent in advance. Initially we were going to try and get a holiday let but now we are going to stay with family for a couple of weeks and then do the six months rent in advance thing. *Gulp!*

I'm very glad to hear how inexpensive cars are in the UK! We'll rent for a couple of weeks and then buy when we know what our needs will be (e.g. local runaround or motorway commute twice a day).

Good luck, if it feel like the right decision for you then it's the right decision!

We did a holiday let for 4 weeks. We had no rental history from Oz but offered to pay 3 or 6 months in advance 'if we had to'. We ended up being accepted for a rental, and then paid monthly (thank goodness), but one of us already had a job. I too tried to set up a rental from Oz but not easy to do. I think going in and chatting with the real estate agents early on helped us get a rental.

We ended up buying a car (as they are cheap). I had emails of all my no-claim bonuses which were accepted after a bit of emailing back and forth.

enjoy your move. Agree with Aunt Agatha - if it feels right then it is :)

Thanks ladies. Yes they tried the six months rent in advance with us, but considering they wanted two months deposit and one month's rent in advance anyway meant more like 8 months in advance. Shall try to get a holiday rental for a few weeks and see how we go. Not sure entirely if it feels right, but Australia definitely felt wrong from day one, but a job was a job, so just glad to get back to the northern hemisphere and a bit of cold (we live in the outback, bleedin' roasting all year round!). Good luck to you too!

I want to apologise, I think my comment about deciding whether you can actually afford it was misplaced, I didn't know the history - I actually thought you must be Australian and had got a job offer in the UK and were going on a whim. I didn't realise you wanted to leave Australia or that you were a family which I know makes it a whole lot harder.

When in the UK are you moving too? Looking on Airbnb you would probably be able to get a 2-bed place to sleep 4 for around £50 a night outside of London (& even if you are going to be working in London most people commute) - not cheap if you need to for a month but probably necessary :(

It's probably not the best time of year to suggest caravan parks as a caravan would be cold even with central heating but you could consider it, you would probably be able to find one really cheap on Gumtree.

Ironically I am looking for work at the moment and I had an agency contact me about working in Dublin - I've done it before on a weekly commute but not what I'm after (& the following day I got a call about a role in Belfast)

Archived