UK telephone WORK in AUS?

ausHWC

Guest Guest98974

They work just fine. You can buy a little adaptor at Bunnings which will allow your phone to fit into the wall socket. Chances are if you take out broadband, they will give you an adaptor so your phone and router fit into the one socket.

Guest Guest98974
Even though they are technically illegal? They're cheap as chips in Aus, get dome with the approved tick on them!

Technically, but it's not as if Australia has the phone police coming round and prosecuting folk for using a UK phone. Used one for years and never had an issue, never heard of anyone having issues and never seen a newspaper report of anyone being in court for using one. It's a bit like crossing the road when there's no traffic. Technically jaywalking and can attract a fine, reality says you will be ok especially if it's outside your home in suburbia.

OP was simply asking do they work. Yes they do.

Just curious but if they illegal how come Bunnings sell adapters for them?

I don't think they do, I've never seen one at Bunnings or Jaycar. RJ11 to the old style Aussie plugs (which will plug into a UK phone and then the wall), but nothing to convert the BT style plugs into something you can plug into an Aussie wall.

Technically, but it's not as if Australia has the phone police coming round and prosecuting folk for using a UK phone. Used one for years and never had an issue, never heard of anyone having issues and never seen a newspaper report of anyone being in court for using one. It's a bit like crossing the road when there's no traffic. Technically jaywalking and can attract a fine, reality says you will be ok especially if it's outside your home in suburbia.

OP was simply asking do they work. Yes they do.

Of course you're right about the phone police. I would say, your greatest risk is if you have to call a phone engineer to the house -- if they find you are using an unapproved device you are likely to get stung for the full price of the callout plus any fine they decide to levy, regardless of whether it is your fault or theirs. Also, in the unlikely event that an unapproved device burns your house down I would say the insurance company would use it as an excuse. IMHO I'd rather just replace the phones.

Guest Guest98974

I must have been lucky as I had Telstra out at my place with a line issue and never even blinked at my phone.

In regards to the adapter, I used either this or similar, bought from Bunnings. Wire from Uk phone fitted right into it. Probably still in a box in the garage somewhere.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/telephone-acc-modular-jackson-socket-adaptor-t4990_p4360642