Do I need/can I get a Certificate of No Impediment from a UK registry office to support a PMV?

lilpenguinlost

I am a UK citizen.

My fiancee is an Australian citizen.

We are in the process of preparing our application for "Proposed Marriage Visa" (subclass 300).

We intend to marry in Sydney in April 2015.

I have hired the services of a MARA agent.

As part of the documents checklist, I had enquired how I can prove the request for "Evidence that there is no impediment to your intended marriage to your fiancé(e)"

My MARA agent suggested I get a "Certificate of Impediment" from my local registry office to prove my single status.

I called my local registry office and they refused to provide me with a "Certificate of No Impediment" as Australia is not part of the commonwealth.

I am now confused, as web sites online suggest that if I was in Australia and wanted to get married, I would have to go to the British embassy and acquire this document. Other websites I've read suggest the same as my MARA agent - go to your local registry office.

Is the lady at my local office wrong, or have I misunderstood the purpose of this document?

All help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

I am a UK citizen.

My fiancee is an Australian citizen.

We are in the process of preparing our application for "Proposed Marriage Visa" (subclass 300).

We intend to marry in Sydney in April 2015.

I have hired the services of a MARA agent.

As part of the documents checklist, I had enquired how I can prove the request for "Evidence that there is no impediment to your intended marriage to your fiancé(e)"

My MARA agent suggested I get a "Certificate of Impediment" from my local registry office to prove my single status.

I called my local registry office and they refused to provide me with a "Certificate of No Impediment" as Australia is not part of the commonwealth.

I am now confused, as web sites online suggest that if I was in Australia and wanted to get married, I would have to go to the British embassy and acquire this document. Other websites I've read suggest the same as my MARA agent - go to your local registry office.

Is the lady at my local office wrong, or have I misunderstood the purpose of this document?

All help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Your intended marriage date may be way too early. Wait times through London for this visa are now 10-14 months. I would not book anything nonrefundable if I were you....

Archived