when did you put your house up for sale?

manchester lass

Hi everyone

I just wondered how long it was before leaving that you put your house up for sale? I've not very much experience in selling houses so not sure of the best time to put ours up. We want to be in Brisbane November 2015. Whats the best season to put it up? how long shall we wait?

just wondered if you could let me know your experiences please.

We dont want to rent it.

thank you

xxxx

Our situation was different as we came on a 457 so kept our houses (the one we lived in and one we fixed up and went into negative equity so we rented it) for the 2 years until we got our PR.

We (fingers crossed as not exchanged yet!) sold them both within 4 days of going on the market - one at full asking price and one 3% below. The market is definitely getting stronger in a lot of areas. We were in the Midlands.

Our personal experience:

- We had to be in Melbourne October 2014

- put our house up 1st May 2014

- under offer by 1st June 2014

- But that fell through

- Back on the market

- Under offer again 10th July 2014

- Contracts exchanged 22nd August 2014

- Completion set for 12th September.

So in all it took close to 6 months, but I would say that we were lucky and that is probably a quick turn around time. I would have said start 8-10 months before arriving in OZ. But like pumpkin said, its a hard question to answer, because the property market in Manchester maybe slower than down here in greater London, or if you have competition then its harder and longer to sell.

This is what we found with this whole process, it is stressful second guessing how and when to sell the house in time with your visa and expected date of emigration, to a certain extent a bit of luck with your buyer is needed, so hope you get that.

Good luck!

thank you for the replys :-) i am waiting to get my IELTS remarked as 2nd attempt and half a point away again i needs 8's and i scored 8.5, 8.5, 8.5 and 7.5 grrrr. Hopefully, (you never know), they may re score it an 8 then its time to get cracking with everything else. We want PR but have not started the rest of the visa process yet, just waiting for IELTS.

I think we will give it 10 months then thank you. we can get the house looking all dapper and then get cracking after christmas. we are prepared to go into rented accommodation although the prices of renting houses around here are quite steep so we might have to get a small house and live on top of each other for a few months which I am not looking forward to but hey ho needs must.

Thank you everyone :-)

Hi Manchester Lass,

It's such a difficult one to gauge. I would check out the sale times and prices etc of other houses in your street/area, it may give you a better idea of time frame. We were quite lucky selling ours to our daughter (despite having to pay the deposit lol), we moved all our furniture into a self storage shipping container, where it remains (due to be shipped on 29th Sept) and we're still living in the house with our daughter and her furniture.. Worked out quite well really, very little rent lol.. Good luck with everything.. :)

thank you for the replys :-) i am waiting to get my IELTS remarked as 2nd attempt and half a point away again i needs 8's and i scored 8.5, 8.5, 8.5 and 7.5 grrrr. Hopefully, (you never know), they may re score it an 8 then its time to get cracking with everything else. We want PR but have not started the rest of the visa process yet, just waiting for IELTS.

I think we will give it 10 months then thank you. we can get the house looking all dapper and then get cracking after christmas. we are prepared to go into rented accommodation although the prices of renting houses around here are quite steep so we might have to get a small house and live on top of each other for a few months which I am not looking forward to but hey ho needs must.

Thank you everyone :-)

Unless you were thinking of moving anyway, I think it would be very foolish to sell your house before having a visa in your hands.

We sold our house about 9 months before we moved as we didn't want our move date to be dependent on anyone except us!

We moved into rented (fortunately 5 doors from our house) for 9 months and could then plan and pick our move date easily.

Recommended for eliminating emigration stress!

BB

We waited until we had the visa before putting the house on the market. Sold within 3 weeks and, luckily for us, the lady was happy to exchange quickly and then hold off completion for 4 months!!! That way we started buying flights etc after exchange and then could still be in the house until middle of August when we moved.

its kind of a 'how long is a piece of string' question - it depends if your house is in demand or not. I would deffo wait until you have the visa before selling though. X

We sold before we had visas and moved into rented close to where we lived so daily routines were pretty much the same. I think its only a problem if you are emotionally attached to your property. For us...at the end of the day its only a house, you can always buy another (worst case scenario). As it goes we can move when we're ready and don't have a house sale to worry about! :)

We sold before we had visas and moved into rented close to where we lived so daily routines were pretty much the same. I think its only a problem if you are emotionally attached to your property. For us...at the end of the day its only a house, you can always buy another (worst case scenario). As it goes we can move when we're ready and don't have a house sale to worry about! :)

What stamp duty these days? Removal costs? If you like upheaval, are not attached to your house and have money to throw away, then yes selling before visa is a good plan.

I put mine on market a year before I planned on going, it took 6 months to sell, was almost going to take it off and rent it out. I was nowhere near getting my visa, just going through the skills assessment! Just positive thinking! One les thing to worry about!

Archived