Making a career change to Oil and Gas Industry

oppyddrum

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about this for a while and i was just wondering if there was/is anyone out here who might be able to provide some advise on what might be a good strategy.

Background: Bachelors of Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Masters of Electronic Engineering, MBA. I have worked 100% as an electrical engineer in the rail manufacture and coal mining industries. I have a total of about 5 years of work experience, mostly Design, Reliability and maintenance.

I would like to make a shift to the Oil and Gas industry, but most of the jobs i see want experience in O&G already. I have toyed with taking some sort of short course in an oil and gas related field to give myself a leg up...

This might be a long shot but does anyone have any suggestions as to what else i could do, or where i could look for a leg in the door?

Cheers.

Best bet is to ask the recruiters and/or apply for those jobs anyway. 5 years is not a lot of experience so if employers are willing to hire people with only 5 years then they are probably expecting some amount of training to go with it anyway. They might advertise that they prefer candidates with O&G experience but if they're not forthcoming then they'll look to others. You might also have better skills than other candidates and so they'd go with you despite not having the experience anyway.

Just about every offshore platform and most remote onshore locations will have their own power generation systems, so there are opportunites for your skillset.

I'd ignore recruiters (they are unlikely to be able to place you easily) and start looking at making direct contact with the HR departments of the major players (start by checking their websites) to see if you can get onto one of their graduate training schemes - typically 2-3 years mix of otj training and academic stuff. Age might be against you, but its worth a go. Whilst your experience gained to date might not be directly relevant to their immediate needs, it will help.

Thanks guys,

you are right, i'll just go ahead and send in my resume for those jobs anyways, i might catche a break. and i will definitely be looking into some of their grad programs. i am 29 at the moment, @ TerryDXB: you reckon thats too old for the grad program?

@ Angela Claire: I have got my citizenship here so i am pretty flexible in terms of location, i might take a look at positions in Aberdeen as well. I think i just need to get a leg in somewhere and then move myself around after i have something of a valuable bargaining chip.

Again, thanks guys for all the input. none of you said anything about a short course in say Instrumentation and Control for Oil and Gas or Power Generation for Oil and Gas to sort of ramp up interest when they look at my resume... i would like not to have to. oil and gas courses are quite expensive!!

Perhaps look into getting some of the basic training that might open doors for you offshore, such as BOSIET and CSTP. Most of the offshore stuff is on the North West Shelf, and some stuff in the Bass Strait. It's generally easier for guys based in Perth to get work, or so I'm told.

As I can only relate to offshore oil and gas, I can't be of that much help, but here are a few links that might help you:

http://www.maerskdrilling.com/career/pages/electrician.aspx

http://www.seek.com.au/job/26993734

Manning agents provide many of the guys serving on drill ships, rigs, support vessels, floating production platforms etc

For the marine support vessels and construction side of oil and gas, you can see the standard contract and salaries here: http://www.aimpe.asn.au/files/aimpe_ea_final_template_generic.pdf'>http://www.aimpe.asn.au/files/aimpe_ea_final_template_generic.pdf and may also be worth considering, contact http://www.aimpe.asn.au for info on that side of work. I work on the sub sea support side of things, and we all work 5 weeks on/ 5 weeks off and conditions are good, we have electrical guys onboard. The rigs and production side tends to be shorter swings and more money, but work is often casual.

@ TerryDXB: you reckon thats too old for the grad program?

No idea to be honest - probably depends on individual company policy. You do have the advantage of already having worked, so you have practical experience of key components such as transformers, generators and the like and how they work (and go wrong). You've probably been dealing with vendors which is an acquired skill, so your background would effectively 'widen the gene pool' which is always a good thing. The only downside might be that your salary expectations might have to be reduced if you go onto a graduate training program but thats a short term hit for a long term benefit.

I would not commit to a spend on stuff like BOSIET and short term courses unless you know that not having them is a real obstacle to getting a job. If you get into a half decent company, they will put you through BOSIET at their cost anyway - if you go down the contract route (and I don't think that you have the experience just yet, then BOSIET and other stuff will likely be at your cost)

Thanks guys,

you are right, i'll just go ahead and send in my resume for those jobs anyways, i might catche a break. and i will definitely be looking into some of their grad programs. i am 29 at the moment, @ TerryDXB: you reckon thats too old for the grad program?

@ Angela Claire: I have got my citizenship here so i am pretty flexible in terms of location, i might take a look at positions in Aberdeen as well. I think i just need to get a leg in somewhere and then move myself around after i have something of a valuable bargaining chip.

Again, thanks guys for all the input. none of you said anything about a short course in say Instrumentation and Control for Oil and Gas or Power Generation for Oil and Gas to sort of ramp up interest when they look at my resume... i would like not to have to. oil and gas courses are quite expensive!!

My son is a sparkie and had the same idea as you a couple of years ago. He went to an agency in Perth and the guy told him to do a couple of courses which might help. One was the Instrumentation and Control and the other was a OH&S (or OS&H in WA) course. He registered for both and on the OH&S met a guy who's company were looking for people in Port Hedland. Following week he rang the boss of the company in Perth, went for an interview the following day and started a couple of weeks later. Been there ever since, on a, 8 days on 6 off swing.

Wouldn't say he loves it but he doesn't mind it and the money's good. He's only 24 and loves travelling and music festivals so he's made the most of the last year or so.

He did the Instrumentation course too but hasn't sat the exam yet. He says he's going to do it soon and see if he fancies a change. He knows sparkies are getting better money doing a longer swing and he knows a few people now. Once your in that seems to be how you get other jobs, word of mouth and who you know.

I reckon it would be worth your while to do the Instrumentation and Control course as a minimum. More and more SCADA, robotics and remote work going to happen. Good luck, your age shouldn't stop you applying for anything, you never know.

Thanks guys, @CaptainR: Thanks for that. Will spend time this weekend digging. @TerryDXB: Yea, i do think my experience so far should be a plus if i applied for the grad program. I am happy for an initial salary cut. like you said, it will be for a longer term benefit. i do think the applications for grad programs for 2015 already closed though. talk about crappy timing. lol @Paul1Perth: I did think doing one of those short courses might be a good way to network. You never know where you will meet someone who has info that can help.

I did register for a Subsea Technology Seminar in Sydney to hold in about 2 weeks. its a 2 day course and is meant for people who might be interested in making that switch to the subsea field or who are new in the field. their premise is that it is a rapidly growing field and there is massive shortage at the moment. I am really not sure what to expect from it but i will see what they have first. I will definitely bring some of the feedback here in case someone else out there is thinking along the same lines. btw, it costs about $2500 but i did not have to pay 'cos my parents (in perth) know someone who knows the instructor (organizer also from perth). sounds like a bargain to me. hahaha