Occupational Therapist coming from UK

Serendipity

Just posted this on the migration issues thread as its currently where I'm up to, but realised it may be more apt here!

I've read back through previous threads about OT's looking for work in Oz after moving there. I am in process of applying for visa for permanent residency so me and my family can come over from UK to live and work (currently just submitted skills assessment paperwork). I am an OT. I've been reading about the difficulties of foreign OT's getting Ahpra registration as employers aren't prepared to take on non Ahpra registered OT's, and you need to have practiced to get the registration. Do you think this makes it impossible to get a job as an OT or are there ways around it?

Also what are the most needed clinical areas for OT's to work in. I've heard that Voc rehab is much bigger in Oz than UK. I have worked as an OT privately in Uk for a few years doing FCE type assessments and return to work assessments. I'm Matheson trained, is this style of FCE recognised in Oz? I also do locum work for local authorities assessing for equipment and adaptations. I still have time to streamline my work experience and do extra training courses if needed as we are not planning to move over till end of 2015, but not sure which was to go. I also have an MSc in Work Design and Ergonomics.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated, especially from OT's who are in this catch 22 situation. Thank you.

It sounds like you have to get experience in the uk before APHRA will give you registration.

A friend of ours is immigrating as an OT to Perth tomorrow and has ensured she has a few years experience before she gets on the plane.

Hi, yes I've practised for 19 years but that's not the issue. The problem is that in theory when I get to Oz, even though I will have had the desktop (Skills) assessment done as part of my visa application, which looks at all my qualifications, references, college transcripts etc in order to work I need to be fully Ahpra registered and THIS requires a period of 6 months supervised practice. So most jobs require an OT to be fully registered before they will take them on! But in order to get registration I would need an employer to take me on etc etc. Seems a bit of a non starter really but I'm hoping for a glimmer of hope from someone out there!

Hi yes I've searched through previous posts. It does seem to be a fairly recent change to the registration process, and OT's in a similar situation to me don't seem to have any answers! I've read posts from others who have already moved out and just not able to get work for this reason. seems daft doesn't it.

• 4 weeks later...

hello

im an OT in the UK and also applying for skills assessment, I've just started worrying about the same thing...how likely is it that we will be employed without the full registration? I currently have 5 years experience and I'm working as a senior OT but unsure of job prospects without that full registration?

Hi! I am an Occupational Therapist from the Philippines. I had almost 6 years experience as pediatric OT. I was successful in completing my desktop audit and in gaining PR. But when I got here in Sydney, no one was willing to take me in as they needed OTs who are fully registered with AHPRA. I tried contacting more than 20 employers and agencies but without any luck. I've been here for 4 months now without any luck in finding an employer. The registration for overseas OTs suck big time.

• 3 months later...

No wonder OTs are on the skills in demand list but if you can't get work what's the point. I know an OT who has got her AHPRA registration working in a nursing home in Perth who are prepared to supervise her, so it is possible. Maybe like in previous threads you need to go into a non-clinical role in the first instance like a care home, charity etc?

I hope you've managed to sort this out.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone in this thread learnt anything new since this discussion? I cant seem to find the answer anywhere to:

"what is the likelihood of being offered an OT job without full Aussie registration?"

Im an OT and only have a year experience but I am eligible for the independent skilled visa, however I am now confused as to whether any employer would be willing to take you on whilst you complete the 2nd half (after the desktop skills audit) of the registration part? And also would I be classed as 'skilled' with only half the OTCouncil skills assessment completed? :confused:

Hi there. Its my understanding that you would be classed as skilled if you have enough points with only one years experience. If the OT Council are satisfied with your documents (references, transcripts, degree certificates, CV etc) then you can be classed as suitable for skilled migration.

The job situation is a separate issue and for many OT's it is proving difficult to get work as an OT. I know that it is possible to get a job- another PIO OT who I have been communicating with has just gone out to Sydney and got a job- she said with every application she contacted the person dealing with the vacancy, by email, and explained what is involved with the supervised 6 months practice and that she would lead it etc etc That's about all I can tell you really. So its not impossible but it may be frustratingly slow.

We are hoping to get our 189 in the next month or so (lodged December 2014). Where are you based and where do you work? Do you need to do IELTS exam as well?

Best wishes, Becks.

HI, thanks for replying!

OK, so it sounds as if I would be able to gain an OT position however need to be aware it may take a while and a lot of extra effort.

Congrats on getting your 189 submitted, fingers crossed for for you Serendipity. Where will you be moving? and what will you be hoping to do? I'm unsure If I will need the IELTS. I thought this was for non-native english speakers initially but I know some Brits complete this for their application as well. Could you shed some light on why this is?

Thanks Scottishstacey it would be great to find out more from your friend.

I work in Bedford for a Community Paediatric OT team at the moment and I love it! Would love to do something similar in oz :)

My partner is a software engineer (also on the SS list) so we wouldn't be looking for sponsorship as we could both end up in different areas, but if sponsorship is a better way for me I may consider it. Just getting our skills assessments sorted at present, and saving hard.

I have applied for several OT jobs based in the UK as I have my visa but so far have been unsuccessful the standard reply is that they are not taking applicants that aren't on shore and/or sponsored visas.

I am going to continue to apply whilst here in the UK but do not hold out much hope, fingers crossed I will have better luck when I land in October. I have been told recruitment is very different in Oz as they like you to contact them, drop in and have a chat with the prospective boss (mini interview?)

I have been in touch with Global health and they are very quiet at the minute for OTs, radiographers are the AHPs required at the minute. With a little hope OTs will be back on demand soon.

I am still very positive and OTs are on the skills in demand list so there's hope for us all; good luck everyone.:hug:

HI, thanks for replying!

OK, so it sounds as if I would be able to gain an OT position however need to be aware it may take a while and a lot of extra effort.

Congrats on getting your 18 I thought this was for non-native english speakers initially but I know some Brits complete this for their application as well. Could you shed some light on why this is?

Thanks Scottishstacey it would be great to find out more from your friend.

I work in Bedford for a Community Paediatric OT team at the moment and I love it! Would love to do something similar in oz :)

My partner is a software engineer (also on the SS list) so we wouldn't be looking for sponsorship as we could both end up in different areas, but if sponsorship is a better way for me I may consider it. Just getting our skills assessments sorted at present, and saving hard.

Re IELTS- I had to do it for points for the 189 visa and as far as I can see most would. It doesn't matter if you are a native speaker. I had to get 8's on all 4 sections. I know for some people this is an issue. If you are a native English speaker then its certainly easier for you, and with some preparation you would be fine.

We are not sure yet where we are going to move to. We are going on holiday on 18th March with our 2 kids, to do a bit of sussing out. Going to visit Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. After that we will start planning for the bigger move next year. I've done quite a bit of work based assessment, ergonomics and vocational stuff as an OT so am hoping to get into that market in Oz. Let us know how you get on with stuff!

That's a wide area, Sydney is great but can be expensive. I've not been to Perth or Melbourne but I found every area is slightly different. I love Sunshine Coast and other areas on the East but we are off to Dubbo inland from Sydney, due to age we had to go for regional sponsorship on a 489 visa. You may find it easier to get employment as your not on a sponsored visa.

I've noticed you are from Ilkley, I'm from Skipton! Looks like 2 OTs are leaving North Yorkshire.:chatterbox:

• 2 weeks later...

That's a bit of a bummer if we have to do the IELTS as well! what a long process this all is. Did doing the IELTS help to increase the amount of points you got? Did you need more? Because I thought i'd worked out we would have enough points without it.

Your holiday is close now! you all must be very excited :) Im sure you will love sydney and melbourne, cant speak of Perth myself. We love Brisbane!

Enjoy.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

My friend is an OT here in the UK with one years experience. We are both confused over the process to get registered in Aus.

Would someone be able to simply the process for me please?

Kind regards

Danny

• 1 month later...

I am also interested to find out more, I am hoping to come to Aus as an OT looking into working in New Zealand first and transfering that way as seems easier however keen to go straight to Aus really if possible to gain employment.

• 2 months later...

Archived