From Tourist visa to bridging visa A to working 457 visa

LeeWilliams

Hi everyone,

i'm currently in Australia, Gold Coast on a holiday visa e600 with my family visiting other family. I have also been handing out a few CVs in the hope of maybe staying longer working on a 457 visa.

My question is, can I apply for a bridging visa A on a tourist 600e visa? And also, would I be able to work on the bridging visa whilst the 457 is being processed?

if someone one could also send me a link to exactly where it says I can or cannot work on a bridging visa A would be helpful. A potentially employer seems to think I can, but Im not convinced, especially bridging from a tourist visa which has strict conditions on not working.

Thanks in advance

Lee

No you can't. There are some visas which if you apply for them you can work, no matter what visa you were on before (partner visa for one). The 457 isn't one of those. When you go into bridging visa a for a 457 you have the same visa conditions as your last visa.

Are you able to apply for a working holiday visa?

No you can't. There are some visas which if you apply for them you can work, no matter what visa you were on before (partner visa for one). The 457 isn't one of those. When you go into bridging visa a for a 457 you have the same visa conditions as your last visa.

Are you able to apply for a working holiday visa?

unfortunately, not eligible for a whv as we have a son here with us.

You don't apply for a BVA, it would be granted automatically when you apply for another substantive visa. So you'd be granted one when applying for the 457, however it wouldn't have any work rights on it and it wouldn't come into effect until after your visitor visa expired. http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/010.aspx

Thanks for the link. Had a quick browse and saw this?

If your BVA does not let you work in Australia, or has restrictions on working, you can apply for another BVA that lets you work. To be considered for a BVA that will let you work, you will usually have to show that you are in financial hardship.

Perhaps there's still a possibility of being able to work waiting for the outcome of the 457 visa

Have you looked at skilled migration instead of a 457? the 457 route us rarely a good idea for families.

Skilled migration was my first choice when we first started getting all the paperwork together but whilst waiting for the outcome of my skills assessment my occupation was taking off the skilled occupations list (aircraft maintenance engineer - mechanical)

tried state sponsorship with NT but I couldn't get any interest from any employers there was very few jobs being advertised at the time so my application was refused on the grounds of insufficient evidence of job prospects.

so, that only really leaves temp work visa 457. If we're lucky with this employer it would work out better for us as we have family on the Gold Coast.

Skilled migration was my first choice when we first started getting all the paperwork together but whilst waiting for the outcome of my skills assessment my occupation was taking off the skilled occupations list (aircraft maintenance engineer - mechanical)

tried state sponsorship with NT but I couldn't get any interest from any employers there was very few jobs being advertised at the time so my application was refused on the grounds of insufficient evidence of job prospects.

so, that only really leaves temp work visa 457. If we're lucky with this employer it would work out better for us as we have family on the Gold Coast.

The 457 visa doesn't normally take that long to come through, especially if the employer has sponsored before. Would the tourist visa even expire before then? If not, you won't be on a bridging visa at any point anyway.

The 457 visa doesn't normally take that long to come through, especially if the employer has sponsored before. Would the tourist visa even expire before then? If not, you won't be on a bridging visa at any point anyway.

Going to stay for the full 3 months on the tourist visa. The employer has sponsored several employees before so hopefully like you said should be a straight forward process for both of us.

Archived