IELTS - half a point away from all 8's can it be changed?

manchester lass

Hi everyone

I am so frustrated!!!!!

i need all 8's for my IELTS. I'v just checked my results and I have 8.5's in everything other than the writing where I have 7.5 :-( this is the 2nd time i have taken it and just missed out :-(. I readon here a while back that if you are that close they will consider changing your mark so they are all 8's is that true? How do I go about it?

sooooooooo frustrated!

Hi everyone

I am so frustrated!!!!!

i need all 8's for my IELTS. I'v just checked my results and I have 8.5's in everything other than the writing where I have 7.5 :-( this is the 2nd time i have taken it and just missed out :-(. I readon here a while back that if you are that close they will consider changing your mark so they are all 8's is that true? How do I go about it?

sooooooooo frustrated!

They don't "consider changing your mark so they are all 8s" as such.

But there is the opportunity of a re-mark if you feel that you may have been short changed. It takes a while though, about 8 weeks I think and there is a cost attached but I can't remember how much. It is refunded it the score is changed upwards.

Writing and speaking are sometimes upgraded. Listening and reading are not because there is no subjectivity to those answers.

its such a hard decision, do i resit it and hope I dont get another 7.5 or do I ask them remark it. I'm so frustrated, its just that time is ticking. We want to be there by November 2015 due to my sons education, that's not long at all. \i am thinking of maybe getting the mark checked but again if that is 8 weeks turnaround .... aaaaaahhhhh. I cant believe all these hurdles we have tp jump through when we are english speaking, have degrees ect ect ... I'm having a right strop in my head :-)

its such a hard decision, do i resit it and hope I dont get another 7.5 or do I ask them remark it. I'm so frustrated, its just that time is ticking. We want to be there by November 2015 due to my sons education, that's not long at all. \i am thinking of maybe getting the mark checked but again if that is 8 weeks turnaround .... aaaaaahhhhh. I cant believe all these hurdles we have tp jump through when we are english speaking, have degrees ect ect ... I'm having a right strop in my head :-)

So if you feel pressed for time (although your planned times look a long way off to me) but an expensive option might be to send off for the remark AND book another test. Then hopefully at lest one of the options will come good for you.

A friend of ours re-sat is test as he didn't get high enough and again got the same result, which he couldn't understand as he is a teacher with good English language skills. He asked for a remark and it went up from 6's to 8's so well worth asking for it to be re-marked!

Hiya, I also failed my writing a few times too. I got them all remarked whilst I resat - they all came back with the same mark still - 7.5 when I needed 8. I asked on the forum for advise and someone said about YouTube videos on ielts writing. These really helped me as they basically explained the writing answer format that is expected. After this I ended up with 8.5! So it can be done but def resit if you can whilst waiting for remarks! Hope this helps. X

• 4 months later...

they went over the time scale for assessing and therefore gave me the fee back as well as assessing it but the points remained the same. we're not going now we have decided to stay in the UK I chickened out as would miss my family too much and life over here isnt that bad :-)

good luck xxx

Archived