Nursing in Aus in 2014

Petals

Guest guest30085

The article isn't quite right, it isn't ANMAC who are not recognising the Diploma, it's AHPRA. So UK nurses are passing the skills assessment and having their visas granted, but then are finding that they can't get registration to practice due to AHPRA not accepting the diploma as equivalent to a degree.

A friend of mine from the UK who is diploma trained received a positive skills assessment approx 8 weeks ago from ANMAC, unfortunately AHPRA have changed the rules but other agencies are still accepting the diploma. One board says whether you are qualified as a nurse and the other says whether you can work in Australia - You would think they would talk to each other!

It is wrong for one agency to say yes and the other to say no and give mixed signals and one would have thought okay with one okay with other, but on the other hand I have seen a positive assessment letter from ANMAC given to a UK diploma nurse in September last year. It states that their positive assessment does not guarantee nursing registration.

You would think they would have it out with each other, but then IMMi should not give out PR visas if one has to be registered with a professional organisation to work as a skilled worker positive assessment or not.

ANMAC ore there to assess years of experience, working environment etc etc to give okay to the amount of points that the applicant is applying, ie: I am an RN in timbutoo, I have a degree have been working 3 years as ward assistant, I am claiming points for being an RN skilled worker for 3 years. ANMAC are then supposed to assess say no to the experienceas an RN.

the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board are basically saying ANMAC is not a worthwhile body, maybe they are trying to get the whole process put under one roof, so are thinking killing a few pawns to save 100's is worth the fight just a thought

Heard an interesting discussion on the radio a couple of days ago. Apparently St John of God hospital here are recruiting something like 100 Irish nurses. When the story was released the media was inundated with well qualified, experienced, mostly British nurses who were here already and unable to get their registration ratified by AHPRA. One lady was very good and on the radio ages. Said she had put her papers in February (I think) and was still waiting. She knows lots of nurses in the same boat as her and there is a facebook site where they are giving each other a bit of a hand and support.

After she had been on Kim Hames was on and as usual said he'd not realised it was so bad until recently. Does that bloke ever have a day where he doesn't put his foot in it and sound totally incompetent? Anyway, he said it was on the list of things to discuss when the state health ministers get together. Sure that's going to help with the backlog.

I reckon that St John of God should be told to scrap their plans and recruit people already here and AHPRA should be told to get their finger out and start processing some applications. That's just common sense though so I'm not confident in anything happening.

Guest guest30085

That's the problem though Paul, yes there are plenty of very qualified and capable nurses already here or have passed the skills assessment, but it isn't as simple as just clearing the backlog. The problem is that with the decision made by AHPRA, these nurses will not be able to practice here unless they upgrade their diplomas to degrees or take a series of modules at university here to 'bridge the gap' so to speak. So unless they all take their heads out of their a**** and agree on a qualifying process for nurses across all the boards, then those nurses will either face taking expensive bridging courses or be left in limbo. I doubt there will be a u turn on the diploma, but I can only hope as my friend will be one who will be caught up in this also.

That's the problem though Paul, yes there are plenty of very qualified and capable nurses already here or have passed the skills assessment, but it isn't as simple as just clearing the backlog. The problem is that with the decision made by AHPRA, these nurses will not be able to practice here unless they upgrade their diplomas to degrees or take a series of modules at university here to 'bridge the gap' so to speak. So unless they all take their heads out of their a**** and agree on a qualifying process for nurses across all the boards, then those nurses will either face taking expensive bridging courses or be left in limbo. I doubt there will be a u turn on the diploma, but I can only hope as my friend will be one who will be caught up in this also.

Kim Hames was saying some interesting things about the diploma. he thinks that they shouldn't be able to apply the conditions retrospectively, so if you've been accepted for your visa with a diploma then you should be able to get your registration. You would think he would have a bit of clout, being the deputy PM, doctor and health minister eh.:laugh:

Like I say though, seems too much like common sense for anything to happen quickly. Feel sorry for all the nurses stuck in limbo at the mo, must be very frustrating. Can't see why the nursing training had to change from the old way of teaching hospitals and on the job training to years in a Uni. Doesn't make for better nurses when you are full of theory but can't stand the thought of changing a bed, or washing someone down.

Whole other argument that though.:yes:

Archived